Off Topic Question not pertaining to gymnastics but for the parents

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

My parents got me one when I was 13, and they take it at 9:30 and give it back before school the next morning. I didn't get Internet at first and if I step out of line with attitude/grades, it's the first thing to get taken away.

My gymmie just turned 10 and got one for her bday (my dhs "old" phone, a then top of the line EVO phone.... Now probably hopelessly outdated since it's like 3 whole years old..!). My older DD got her first phone right before her 11th bday. My reasoning is that they are/were at places for several hours without me, and I would like for them to be able to get a hold of me (and vice versa) if necessary. Sure, at the gym or studio they could go to the office and borrow the landline to call me, but it wouldn't be able to get to them without making a hassle for others. We also do not have a landline at all, so their cell phones are the only way for me to connect to them if I leave them at home to run errands etc. they both have unlimited calls and texting, as well as data access... bUT they know that I can, and will, check messages and everything else they do on their phones at any given time and if I ever see anything I don't approve of, the phone is gone. If someone misbehaves, the phone (the fun part of it) is gone.
They both have kindles/iPads as well as iPod touchs... They do have to treat their electronics well, and I'm a stickler for having things charged and accessible. The whole point is to make the girls and I more connected and easy to reach, and if they use up their batteries playing games and messing around and I can't reach them, that's no good.
I never thought I would allow my kids to have cell phones at such a young age, but the reality of it is that for us, it makes things easier and it's really part of the times.

I know there comes an age where phones become a necessity, and im not trying to be offensive to anyone here. if so i apologize. My dd is 8. she is upset because I refuse to get her a cell phone till she is about 11-12. I think 8 is just a little too young for a smart phone. there are children on DD's team that are around her age and they all have iphones!!! i mean, come on, 8 YEARS OLD!! i didnt get my first cell phone until i was in my early 20's! heres the question. what do you all think? (again i apologize if you are one of the parents who give their dd or ds an iphone at a very young age). how many agree with me and how many disagree? is below 11 years of age too young for a phone? please answer truthfully, I will not feel offended as we all have our own opinions.

Got my first phone when i was about 10 and this phone was my mum's old phone (think brick with black and white screen with snake still on it) and it was purely for contacting mum in emergencies. My first new phone was when I was in year 6 (11/12yo) and it was not a smart phone it was a $99 phone that was pretty limited to texting and calling

I personally think that 8yo is too young for a smart phone. What does she want the phone for? Is it for calling and texting you? or is it for the games on the iPhone. I was going to suggest the same as quad queen as the iPod touch is the same as an iPhone just without the phone function.

I am 100% in agreement that 8 is too young for an iPhone

We are thinking about getting one for my oldest daughter who is almost 11. I don't think they "need" one until driving age (just my opinion), but sadly, most of DD's peers already had an iPhone by 3rd grade. We have given two of our kids our old iPhones without the SIM card which they use as an iPod touch. My issue with the phones and iPod touch is the social media. The kids don't know how to use it responsibly. They just are not mature enough, and I am disturbed at least once a week by what I see posted on Instagram and FB. There is a reason why the minimum age for an Instagram account is 13, but many parents set up accounts for their young kids anyway.

My DD is newly 10 and heading into 5th grade. No phone yet. I'm considering possibly giving her mine as a hand me down for her 11th birthday. That said, the kid already has an itouch which was bought in lieu of an ipad... Plus an iPad which her school required just 9 months later.

The kid doesn't even like talking on the phone - she just wants one because most of her friends have them. When she starts walking to school/practices and staying home alone (no landline) then I think it'll be necessary.

I don't think they "need" one until driving age (just my opinion), but sadly, most of DD's peers already had an iPhone by 3rd grade.

Holy cow! There must be quite a bit of local variation. My daughter is going into the third grade and to my knowledge none of her friends has a phone. They all seem to have iPods, but I have not heard that any of them have WiFi enabled for texting or web browsing.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back