Parents Question on Judging of the "Better" Gymnasts

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

lovofu

Proud Parent
Hi, at the meet this weekend a question was asked and I didn't know the answer...

Do judges get to "know" certain gymnasts and score the "better" gymnasts more leniently? I might not be clear but that was the question...

Any ideas?

In our experience the judges do know who are the better gymnast, however, at least in our area, this leads to harder judging of those girls.

I think I have seen this work both ways. Jennifer Sey, in her book "Chalked Up". talks about how judges would give her and other elite gymansts the " benfit of the doubt" but at the compulsory levels where my dd competed, even though i thought some gyms benefitted from reputation, the best gymnasts really preveiled.

I think it could subconciously work both ways - a judge expects to see a lovely routine. They could either look harder for faults because you have to have some deductions right? Or they could forgive some little faults bacause they know they usually do it perfect. But if you ask a judge I'm sure they would say they judge exactly and only what they see. Let's just assume that is what they do LOL. Thinking anything else will wrap your head up in knots!!

When the same judges are used over and over they do get to know the gymnasts and just like any other human out there get their favorites. they are supposed to judge all gymnasts fairly but I have to say I've seen some of what I would refer to at judges favorites Or top gymnasts get scores that others would never get for the same performance. I've seen some of the top fall and have an off day still get the high scores which many in the stands are left scratching their heads wondering how that routine scored in the 9's.

Alot I think come when they have a range they can deduct like "UP TO five tenth" So this one might get one tenth and the next one might get 5 tenths for the same mistake because they can take up to that amount. I'm not saying judges are favoring but judging in general is so subjective and they are only human.

I don't really see the "know" the gymnast until they're about L8. Before that you have bigger groups of compulsories and even L7 can be pretty large. Also 1 judge told me since so many kids drop out prior to L8/9, she doesn't really pay all that much attention to names/gyms.

I don't really see the "know" the gymnast until they're about L8. Before that you have bigger groups of compulsories and even L7 can be pretty large. Also 1 judge told me since so many kids drop out prior to L8/9, she doesn't really pay all that much attention to names/gyms.

I asked a judge that coaches my DD that very question and she said that judges don't really notice what color the leo is or what gym the kid is from. They are really just focused on the task at hand.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back