Question RE: Cast to handstand drills.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Hello to all of you gymnastics-savvy people. I have a question for you regarding a drill my DD did this week.

This week is her gym's compulsory camp. The preteam L3's go during the morning only. Yesterday, her coach worked the entire group of L3/L4 girls together on bars, then the 3's practiced with a different coach for the remainder of the time while the L4s worked on routines.

Anyhow, apparently, coach had both groups running the same drills on bars I guess. They were working on cast to handstands. I guess the girls would cast three times, then coach would help them get into handstand, and hold their legs to hold the position. After a set amount of time, the girls would come down and finish with the bar at their bellies.

So this morning, my DD was terrified to go to camp again - she said her tummy hurt and that she was afraid. She explained why. Apparently, my DD says that when coach was holding her in the handstand, she pushed her down in the opposite way - DD continued as if completing a circle, and apparently fell off of the bar and landed on her back. She said her coach "yelled at her" but did not/could not tell me what coach said. She said it really hurt her. She states she was the only kid that her coach did this for, and that she did it "to her" each and every time.

Now I must admit here that DD is a bit dramatic and has been known to stretch the truth a bit. She also perceives any sort of anxious speech/loud tone as yelling (In the past, if I'd simply try get her attention by speaking loudly, she thought I was mad at her). The scenario seems like a stretch to me, to be honest. I don't think coach would intentionally hurt her? So that leads me to the question: I was just wondering if perhaps coach may have been trying to get DD to "get" something? Is this any sort of acceptable drill? Is coach potentially a nutter (I suppose that's unfair as we all are potentially)? With how upset DD was this morning, I felt I needed to check (especially after some gym drama last week). Thanks for being here.

Seems a bit odd. I would let the coach know anyway. She shouldn't be landing on her back more than once though but things can get misinterpreted. Probably the coach was trying to get her to lean over the bar and she was resisting or her arms collapsed. Not very uncommon when learning (by resisting I don't mean being uncooperative, I mean the body doesn't understand how far the shoulders need to go over the bar and the child tries to push back against the correct position). If she wasn't ready at that level probably should just let it go or have her go more slowly. So let the coach know she has some issues with the drill, she will probably adjust.

let the coach know. the drill is known and accepted.:)

Whew!

Thanks once again, dunno! I am relieved to know that her coach isn't cruel and that my DD was not ... being creative. :) I will let her coach know next time I see her!

P.S. Thanks so much for the great explanation as to WHY it was done. I explained it to my DD and she seemed to understand and it helped her self confidence tremendously! She really thought her coach was just being mean.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back