WAG Question

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Those much better informed than I should answer more thoroughly, but I don’t believe you have to be any level. Just be able to do the skills in the compulsory and optional routines well enough to score the minimums. But there’s no way a kid could do that without quite a bit of training, I would think pretty much exclusively JO upper optionals?

Reactions: sce
No level prerequisite. Technically a kid could go from never having competed JO to entering a Hopes qualifier. Just have to turn 10 the calendar year of the competition.

But most 10-11 year old hopes kids have competed level 8-9, the 12-13 year olds level 9-10.

Ok my daughter will turn 10 in Jan, but she’s only level 7. But I heard (parent rumors lol) that she doing a Hopes qualifying meet this year if she doesn’t get pulled from A camp. So does that mean she moving to level 8 later on?

Ok my daughter will turn 10 in Jan, but she’s only level 7. But I heard (parent rumors lol) that she doing a Hopes qualifying meet this year if she doesn’t get pulled from A camp. So does that mean she moving to level 8 later on?

I suppose anything is possible, but that would be a discussion with your coach. She would have to score out of 7, and then do 8 if that is the plan. Or they could just be preparing him to move that way next year.

I’ve heard of gyms entering their gymnasts in a HOPES meet just to get some experience. With little chances of qualifying, and they know that. Then next season when they have the intention of qualifying, they have some experience.

Look at hopes videos, specifically the 10-11 age group. They will help you see the range of skills that are expected from the gymnasts. Yes, they need to be 10, though I think I recall there have been 9 year olds competing. But the skills are definitely higher than L7.

I suppose anything is possible, but that would be a discussion with your coach. She would have to score out of 7, and then do 8 if that is the plan. Or they could just be preparing him to move that way next year.

sorry...that should have said her.....

Look at hopes videos, specifically the 10-11 age group. They will help you see the range of skills that are expected from the gymnasts. Yes, they need to be 10, though I think I recall there have been 9 year olds competing. But the skills are definitely higher than L7.
At our gym they trained the girls higher level skills so they can be ready, but they won’t just let them skip levels. Like right now my daughter trains an 8 to 9 level, but she’s level 7

It’s not a big deal I was just wondering are they going to try and push her to hopes or give her a year or three

What level do you have to be to do a Hopes qualifier?
You can find out the information on the USAG site. There are elite compulsory qualifiers and elite optional qualifiers.The compulsory routines are all the same. Takes some time to get those as they average level 9/10 skills and they are judged by elite judges.. so a LOT harder to score high. The Optional qualifiers are even harder, as it states they are all unique routines an also judged by elite judges and not on a 10 scale. I would also add that those routines are mostly level 10 skills...

My daughter competed in HOPES last year and I would definitely say that the girls doing HOPES were all at least level 9 or 10. HOPES and the elite qualifiers are TOUGH!! There isn’t a day that goes by that I wish my daughter would decide to just do JO.

Why are you listening to rumors about your child? Has he coach told you the plan for her season? That is the only person I would listen to.

FYI - Hopes qualification requires getting the qualifying score in two competitions, compulsory and optional. So she would need to learn two sets of routines. As well, many kids try more than once before obtaining the qualifying scores.

Why are you listening to rumors about your child? Has he coach told you the plan for her season? That is the only person I would listen to.

FYI - Hopes qualification requires getting the qualifying score in two competitions, compulsory and optional. So she would need to learn two sets of routines. As well, many kids try more than once before obtaining the qualifying scores.
Yeah I know you need two qualifying scores and yeah I talked to the coach earlier in the summer and I was told probably. Now since she is going 7 I though they was going to wait until Next year that’s why I asked about the levels

Yeah I know you need two qualifying scores and yeah I talked to the coach earlier in the summer and I was told probably. Now since she is going 7 I though they was going to wait until Next year that’s why I asked about the levels
Is she learning/training the Hopes routines? Do you have a meet schedule?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back