WAG Question?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

She will have a fun time competing for her state and wearing a special Leo. She will make friends with other gymnasts on her state team. The session will be fun and lively. During the awards, in addition to the state team award, they will have individual awards and she will compete in her state team age group. Fair warning: the competition will be stiffer than if she had competed in a regular session. But the fun and honor will be worth it, plus scores tend to be inflated in the state team session :)

Congrats!

But the fun and honor will be worth it, plus scores tend to be inflated in the state team session :)

Seriously????

So it’s your opinion the judges are scoring gymmies intentionally better then they deserve......

Rather then the fact that the state team gymmies are the best in the whole state and typically are the high scorers.

Seriously
:oops:

Seriously????

So it’s your opinion the judges are scoring gymmies intentionally better then they deserve......

Rather then the fact that the state team gymmies are the best in the whole state and typically are the high scorers.

Seriously

Maybe you’re right and the scores are just high bc the gymnasts are that good. I don’t know. I kind of feel like scores at regionals tend to be inflated regardless. Maybe it’s just coming from a lower-scoring state; maybe it’s that the gymnasts are better bc it’s end of season, or maybe the judging gets a bit lighter bc, at least for L7 and L8, it’s the end of the road.

Either way, I’m guessing Lance is going to enjoy seeing some high scores.

I do think those state sessions are designed to be fun. Not sure why my suggestion was met with such astonishment. Who cares either way? Yes, “seriously.” As Amy Boorman would say, “it’s just gymnastics.”

Maybe you’re right and the scores are just high bc the gymnasts are that good.maybe it’s that the gymnasts are better bc it’s end of season, or maybe the judging gets a bit lighter bc, at least for L7 and L8, it’s the end of the road.
Yes the best of the best got better

Yes, of course this happens.

Maybe not intentionally, like you said, but just when good girls compete around other girls that are also super good, everyone's scores will be better. Just the way it is.

It reminds me of the video that went around of a Division 2 or 3 gymnast sticking a Yurchenko 1.5 cold. If that gymnast had been in a Div 1. competition, that same vault would score 9.9+. This gymnast was competing with other D2 or D3 gymnasts and got a 9.6. Just nature of the beast. :)

Maybe you’re right and the scores are just high bc the gymnasts are that good. I don’t know. I kind of feel like scores at regionals tend to be inflated regardless. Maybe it’s just coming from a lower-scoring state; maybe it’s that the gymnasts are better bc it’s end of season, or maybe the judging gets a bit lighter bc, at least for L7 and L8, it’s the end of the road.

I do think those state sessions are designed to be fun. Not sure why my suggestion was met with such astonishment. Who cares either way? Yes, “seriously.” As Amy Boorman would say, “it’s just gymnastics.”

We’re use to high scores. California has a lot of tough competition and my daughter averages a 9.7-9.8 (on everything besides vault). But thanks for your advice

Reactions: sce
Wow, she sounds like a phenomenal gymnast. If she’s averaging 9.7-9.8 on three events already she’ll probably win the whole thing at regionals. You clearly don’t need any advice from me! Have fun and good luck to your dd, not that she needs it.

Wow, she sounds like a phenomenal gymnast. If she’s averaging 9.7-9.8 on three events already she’ll probably win the whole thing at regionals. You clearly don’t need any advice from me! Have fun and good luck to your dd, not that she needs it.

Was just asking is it like a fun time thing where they’re getting awards for the state or individual medals. Everyone including her coaches and teammates that made state team last year just keeps saying she’s going to have so much fun. Just wondering how

Seriously????

Seriously
They are the best and the scores are also a little inflated Yes. As they should be, But the winners are still the winners etc...

You are correct. but like you said it's irrelevant because at the end of the session the best is the best etc... yes those sessions are designed to have fun, as they should be because the kids are not in their normal age groups and are lumped together because it's just the top scores from state regardless of ages.

They are the best and the scores are also a little inflated Yes. As they should be, But the winners are still the winners etc...
Are you speaking from a L7/L8 Level. Because as Regionals is not the last stop for 9/10. I wouldn't expect anyone to be scored except as earned.

From personal experience in my region and looking at L8, because that where we are at. A quick look and there are many gymmies where states/regionals are not their best scores of the season. And from a data standpoint I don't consider scores like 38.2 to 38.4 to be inflated.

Again, just my experience in my region. Personal experience my daughters States/Regional scores have been lower or as expected. I have never seen them in what could be perceived at inflated. 37.2 vs 37 a states, 37.9 vs 38.1 at states. pretty much the same diff. Regional experience was the lowest score of the season by a point.

Are you speaking from a L7/L8 Level. Because as Regionals is not the last stop for 9/10. I wouldn't expect anyone to be scored except as earned.

From personal experience in my region and looking at L8, because that where we are at. A quick look and there are many gymmies where states/regionals are not their best scores of the season. And from a data standpoint I don't consider scores like 38.2 to 38.4 to be inflated.

Again, just my experience in my region. Personal experience my daughters States/Regional scores have been lower or as expected. I have never seen them in what could be perceived at inflated. 37.2 vs 37 a states, 37.9 vs 38.1 at states. pretty much the same diff. Regional experience was the lowest score of the season by a point.
He was talking about the State Team session.

Lance is in Region One. Last year at the R1 state team session, looking at a few top scores from the youngest age group, they seem to be about .5 higher than those from the rest of the season. There were two 39s. These kids are amazing gymnasts and the best of the best, and the scores reflect that. But to get back to the original question of is it fun, I’m guessing they had a lot of well-earned fun at that meet for a whole host of reasons.

Lance is in Region One. Last year at the R1 state team session, looking at a few top scores from the youngest age group, they seem to be about .5 higher than those from the rest of the season. There were two 39s. These kids are amazing gymnasts and the best of the best, and the scores reflect that. But to get back to the original question of is it fun, I’m guessing they had a lot of well-earned fun at that meet for a whole host of reasons.

This year the highest level 7 was a 38.9

Of course she is going to have fun! She will be with a great group of kids and out there doing what she loves! Regardless of it being the "state team" or not! It's level 7 which to me is still the fun level that you don't think your child is going to kill themselves on every apparatus LOL! Go and enjoy yourself and tell your daughter great job and get out there and have tons of fun!

this thread is about state team. Level 9 and 10 do not do state team because it would skew the qualifying, (because the state team session is a little friendlier). Pertaining to inflated vs non, well, many states have inflated scores so I can see how going from an inflated state to state team at regionals may be the same. Or maybe they were nervous, who knows. In my experience the state team sessions are a little bit inflated and made to be fun. And when I say inflated I mean .1 - .2 , which is a lot when it comes to scoring a 9.6 vs a 9.8. But I totally agree and promote this, as the state team sessions are brutal in many regards. So we try and make it fun.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back