WAG Question?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

this thread is about state team. Level 9 and 10 do not do state team because it would skew the qualifying, (because the state team session is a little friendlier). Pertaining to inflated vs non, well, many states have inflated scores so I can see how going from an inflated state to state team at regionals may be the same. Or maybe they were nervous, who knows. In my experience the state team sessions are a little bit inflated and made to be fun. And when I say inflated I mean .1 - .2 , which is a lot when it comes to scoring a 9.6 vs a 9.8. But I totally agree and promote this, as the state team sessions are brutal in many regards. So we try and make it fun.
Agreed. My daughter participated in state team a few years ago for level 7. The scores are definitely a little inflated. A score of 9.6 wouldn’t have medaled in that state team session. 9.8s, and three way ties of 9.75, etc. that sort of thing. The placements will fall out about the same as at a regular meet regardless of “inflated scores” bc it’s the better kids. Inflated scores happen all the time. We just looked at video of several kids from this year’s state meet one state over, and the scores looked to easily be about .3 higher than they would have scored over here, but I think the placements will still shake out about the same. It’s human beings who do the judging/scoring and not a computer, so that means there will always be a bit of a range that each score falls into and a little human error mixed in. The whole thing with state team is that it is very FUN, a great experience, and it allows the girls to come together with other girls from their state to compete.

I agree, from what I have seen, the scores for the state teems at regionals are inflated some. A few years ago one of my DD's friends got a 9.9 on beam as a part of our state team. It was a beautiful routine. It was not a 9.9. Maybe a 9.6-9.7. Since the state teams are only for levels where regionals is the last stop I don't honestly have a problem with this at all.

and I agree with @Freddy's Fred , I've never seen a kid consistently, meet after meet, score 9.7-9.8 on 3 of the events. That is impressive. I've seen kids who consistently score 9.5-9.7 on one or two events. But I think that we might be in a lower scoring area in general. I just looked at one of our recent state meets and in the entire meet there were only 9 scores of 9.7 or higher and 5 of them were exactly 9.7.

That's amazing that she's so consistent. I've never seen anyone get scores that high meet after meet.
I agree with @Freddy's Fred , I've never seen a kid consistently, meet after meet, score 9.7-9.8 on 3 of the events. That is impressive. I've seen kids who consistently score 9.5-9.7 on one or two events. But I think that we might be in a lower scoring area in general. I just looked at one of our recent state meets and in the entire meet there were only 9 scores of 9.7 or higher and 5 of them were exactly 9.7.

I’ve seen this particular gymmies scores. She’s definitely very talented and has definitely hit those scores on three events- repeatedly on floor.

I think when Lance used the phrase “Averaging 9.7-9.8” we all read it literally and know that mathematically to average that high you’d have to be hitting it, like, every time.

I don’t think he meant her literal “average” on each event, just that she can- and has- scored that high on three events at one time or another this season.

Semantics.....

Still quite a feat!

May I direct your attention to: Makarri Doggette, Faith Torrez, Andrea Li, Jilian Hoffman, Naveah DeSouza... probably many others but these are the ones we've personally seen compete...

consistently above 38+ meet after meet at level 10 -- it's quite amazing.

I agree, from what I have seen, the scores for the state teems at regionals are inflated some. A few years ago one of my DD's friends got a 9.9 on beam as a part of our state team. It was a beautiful routine. It was not a 9.9. Maybe a 9.6-9.7. Since the state teams are only for levels where regionals is the last stop I don't honestly have a problem with this at all.

and I agree with @Freddy's Fred , I've never seen a kid consistently, meet after meet, score 9.7-9.8 on 3 of the events. That is impressive. I've seen kids who consistently score 9.5-9.7 on one or two events. But I think that we might be in a lower scoring area in general. I just looked at one of our recent state meets and in the entire meet there were only 9 scores of 9.7 or higher and 5 of them were exactly 9.7.

My daughter competed on the state team at regionals when she was a level 8 and it is still one of her favorite meets. The meet was really hyped up on our region and was the Saturday night session, very well attended. They did away with the state teams for our region, makes me very sad. It was always a goal of the level 8s to make the super 8 team!!

I have seen a lot of people say these are the best of the best, but also consider this team is only generated by the state meet.. i know lots of exceptional gymnast that didn't make the state team due to a bad day at state, but had amazing seasons and beat most of the girls on the state team throughout the season. Either way i think its a fun meet and one to have your daughters be proud to be a part of! I wish all meets were more fun like college meets! Its a like a totally different sport in my opinion.. one you have to wait until college to be apart of!

I don’t have a problem with it either. And fwiw last year my kid (who did not make a state team) felt her scores were inflated at regionals a bit also...she loved the scores, but told me she knew they were too high. I thought that was funny.

I have seen a lot of people say these are the best of the best, but also consider this team is only generated by the state meet.. i know lots of exceptional gymnast that didn't make the state team due to a bad day at state, but had amazing seasons and beat most of the girls on the state team throughout the season.
Yes that happens, but it’s still best of the best. The kid who is taking the place of the kid who had the bad day and doesn’t qualify is a high scoring kid as well. It’s not a 34 scorer is sliding in past the 38/37 kids. Because one or 2 of them had a bad day.

The kid who has been scoring 34-36 consistently is rarely going to hit 38.5 all of a sudden. And if they are then the regular scoring 38s are going to be 39.5 and higher.

And I’m sure everyone will chime in about the one rare kid here and there. But again, not a common occurrence.

Yes that happens, but it’s still best of the best. The kid who is taking the place of the kid who had the bad day and doesn’t qualify is a high scoring kid as well. It’s not a 34 scorer is sliding in past the 38/37 kids. Because one or 2 of them had a bad day.

The kid who has been scoring 34-36 consistently is rarely going to hit 38.5 all of a sudden. And if they are then the regular scoring 38s are going to be 39.5 and higher.

And I’m sure everyone will chime in about the one rare kid here and there. But again, not a common occurrence.
True i can only base it on this year and last year that it happened to :) Don't think i have seen 39.5's! That is crazy and obviously they are all talented to make it! I just based it on my personal experiences over two years.

Here is the State Team session from the OP’s region last year. 39.5 not much of an exaggeration....

Attachments

• BA8D9BCD-1AC6-4D01-9E7F-D934EB117A43.png
    BA8D9BCD-1AC6-4D01-9E7F-D934EB117A43.png
    899.4 KB · Views: 90
Wait here’s a question, are there multiple region ones? Because I just checked one of my daughters teammates who made state team last year, but got a 38.37 at a child A but also was #2 out of all level 7s

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back