WAG Re: middle school gymnastics team

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

My DD is a new level 4 gymnast in club and is trying out for her school team. The problem I have is how much practice should we do and how do we divide it up? Both my club and her school are sticklers for missing practice. Does anybody have any experience with this? Also I have heard that if she does MS team she will lose her skills etc... I was so surprised when her gym didn't support it and were aggravated when we told them she was doing it. The season is only 2 1/2 months long help!

School gymnastics is much more about a "team" aspect than actually improving your gymnastics. We don't have gymnastics in school at all anymore (budget cuts), but i would rather skip school than club practice. The training will more likely be more relaxed at the school. Have you started school practice yet? Do you know the coach? I know at the high school level the girls did a lot of coaching themselves and spotting each other as there weren't enough coaches.
I guess it would really depend on her goals in gymnastics and how well each program is run.
If your daughters coaches are upset, they may have heard/had experience with the middle school program and they may not agree with how it is run.

Sent from my SGH-T679 using ChalkBucket mobile app

You and your dd really need to decide on one and drop the other. Not only will there be endless scheduling conflicts, but the whole concept of club and school gym are different as the OP said. I think it would be very confusing for her to try to do both. How serious is your dd about gym? Club is much more intense (and expensive) which is something you need to consider. Good luck.

I do high school gymnastics and club gymnastics. I am training xcel platinum. On top of that I dance and am in chorale and show choir which both require time outside of school for rehearsals. If she really wants to do both teams, I think there is a way to manage both. I know level 9's and 10's who compete USAG and high school and they're very successful in both.

I also think the practice time might be beneficial, but it all depends on how strong the program is. I don't think she will lose skills, especially if she is still going to club practices. I know that for my state's high school gymnastics program, if a girl is to miss a high school meet for a USAG meet, the high school team is disqualified. This could be different in your area but if you plan accordingly you still can go to USAG meets often. Although you may be attending two meets in one day or weekend.

I really like doing high school gymnastics. I think that the atmosphere at meets is a lot less stressful. Of course everyone wants to win and get good scores. High school gymnasts can be just as serious as other gymnasts. However, high school meets show more sportsmanship. Every team cheers for both their teammates and girls from other schools. At USAG meets, I feel it's so quiet and less friendly. That is just my opinion of course.

Whatever you & your daughter decide to do, I'm sure she will enjoy it. Best of luck!

We have a lot of girls on team in high school that successfully do USAG and high school (including level 10s and girls who did very, very well at nationals for L9). It can be done. I think you need to be educated about the coaching AND equipment in particular at a middle school and somewhat in high school as well. I've got my own scary memories of middle school gymnastics with my best friend breaking her arm. Gymnastics is a physically demanding sport and appropriate training is critical.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back