WAG Region 5 coaches pay

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

gymnastmom05

Proud Parent
I've searched and can't find much recent information. We're starting to plan and budget for next season and are wondering what is the normal range to pay coaches per session? Currently, I feel we are not paying our coaches enough. We're in the Region 5 area. We (booster club) pay all expenses related to competitions. We would like to pay our coaches a fair rate but it's hard figuring out what exactly that number should be. Any help would be appreciated!

What are the coaches paid hourly?
Multiply that by the length of time they are supposed to be there for the session (I can't be more specific because session lengths vary)… unless the meet puts the coach over 40 hours (in which case, it would be nice to pay 1.5x the hourly rate for those extra hours).

We get $70 per session, $25/day for food and hotel expenses paid for. We're in region 5.
Now I have another question - do you get the $25 per day for food even at "local" meets. For example, you have a meet one hour away and you are coaching one session, do you still get the $25 and a coach that is coaching 4 sessions that day also gets the same amount? We pick up all hotel expenses/mileage and pay for food (with a limit) but have asked our coaches to be reasonable and if they ate at the meet, please don't charge us just to make extra money. We would like to compensate them in a way that's fair to them for their time but also not "taking" from the booster club (aka, parents). We've basically asked them to be mindful when making purchases and if they wouldn't spend their own money on an item/service, please don't spend the parent's money on it.

Now I have another question - do you get the $25 per day for food even at "local" meets. For example, you have a meet one hour away and you are coaching one session, do you still get the $25 and a coach that is coaching 4 sessions that day also gets the same amount? We pick up all hotel expenses/mileage and pay for food (with a limit) but have asked our coaches to be reasonable and if they ate at the meet, please don't charge us just to make extra money. We would like to compensate them in a way that's fair to them for their time but also not "taking" from the booster club (aka, parents). We've basically asked them to be mindful when making purchases and if they wouldn't spend their own money on an item/service, please don't spend the parent's money on it.
So let me get this straight... you expect a coach to travel one hour each way for one season (4 hours).... And you are asking the coach not to charge you $25 dollars.... And you think that's being fair to you? Really? what's your whole day worth? $70 dollars, plus gas? Stop being cheap with your coaches people... And it's not your money if its supposed to go towards someone else....

So let me get this straight... you expect a coach to travel one hour each way for one season (4 hours).... And you are asking the coach not to charge you $25 dollars.... And you think that's being fair to you? Really? what's your whole day worth? $70 dollars, plus gas? Stop being cheap with your coaches people... And it's not your money if its supposed to go towards someone else....
NO! I'm trying to figure out if the coach that spent 6 hours (2 hours driving plus 4 hours session) is being given the same amount of money for food as the coach that spent 14 hours (12 hours coaching and 2 hours driving). Currently our coaches make less per session as stated above but are paid more for food. When I said we asked them to be mindful it was with situations such as paying for valet service when parking was free (because this has happened when free and reasonable parking was available - as in NO parent paid for valet because we parked our cars and walked the extra 5 minutes and I suspect the coaches would have done the same if the roles were reversed). I'm just trying to figure out in the big picture a range of pay that is competitive and fair. Just like any job, some companies pay a larger salary but less benefits. I'm just trying to see what other coaches are paid - and advocate for our coaches. I can't really push for something if I don't have any numbers to back it up. That's all!

So, we had a coach that asked for mileage and gas money, food money and per diem, parking, hotel even when local, and a rental car. There is a limit to what should be paid. NO one is being cheap, but trying to figure it out. If it is too much, you will price parents out of the sport. This year alone I have paid $1100 in coaching fees. and that is expected to go up as receipts come in. And I am all for giving coaches what they need. In fact, we moved my son to a different level for our last travel meet so his coach would not have to do Friday morning session, costing him more money. But I think there is a point that it is fair to the families and beneficial to the coaches.

Again, I have no problem paying per diems (and we just use the federal per diem rate for the city the meet is in), mileage, fair session pay, and any travel expenses (hotel, rental car, plane). But when you get into gas and mileage, per diem and food money (when they are eating for free), and other things like hotels and rental cars for local meets, it gets sticky.

I know we all want our coaches to be well compensated. But there is a balance.

Again, What is your day worth? For a coach nothing worse than going to a meet for one session. You make very very little. Stop being cheap. Also, if you don't want opinions don't post here.
I'm a little lost at what you're made about. I was just trying to see if the previous poster was paid the same $25 stipend for food regardless of how long they were gone. We pay more than $25 for food for our coaches if they're coaching all day, in addition to their session pay and the other travel expenses. The idea has gone around to pay a higher session amount and eliminating food (basically it's already added in the increased per session pay) or continue to pay a per session rate (with a raise for next year) plus food (currently it's up to a certain amount for breakfast/lunch/dinner and they can use it all and buy themselves a nice dinner at 10pm - whatever they want). Again, I'm really only asking so we can give them a RAISE. I feel that you're taking it the wrong way. I didn't set up their current payment agreement. I'm just working with our booster club to try to get numbers together so we can pay our coaches more (but competitive) but we have to know what is reasonable so we can charge our parents correctly. And I agree, it totally sucks for the coach that only coaches the lower levels (this is the scenario in our gym) and the meet schedule comes out and they are only coaching one session a day. I can't control that one. I was just asking the coaches or booster clubs (wherever the payment is coming from) some information as to what they pay/are paid. That's it! I wish money weren't an object for our coaches or our parents but the reality is it is and we don't have a single parent on our team with unlimited funds.

So, we had a coach that asked for mileage and gas money, food money and per diem, parking, hotel even when local, and a rental car. There is a limit to what should be paid. NO one is being cheap, but trying to figure it out. If it is too much, you will price parents out of the sport. This year alone I have paid $1100 in coaching fees. and that is expected to go up as receipts come in. And I am all for giving coaches what they need. In fact, we moved my son to a different level for our last travel meet so his coach would not have to do Friday morning session, costing him more money. But I think there is a point that it is fair to the families and beneficial to the coaches.

Again, I have no problem paying per diems (and we just use the federal per diem rate for the city the meet is in), mileage, fair session pay, and any travel expenses (hotel, rental car, plane). But when you get into gas and mileage, per diem and food money (when they are eating for free), and other things like hotels and rental cars for local meets, it gets sticky.

I know we all want our coaches to be well compensated. But there is a balance.
YES! This! I'm trying to find a balance! I think our coaches are currently underpaid for their session fees. I'm just trying to gather data. Pretty hard to get support for this from parents when it feels like we're just closing our eyes and picking a number. I'm kinda scratching my head how I'm being called cheap for asking how other gyms work considering my goal is to give our coaches a raise. I don't think it's out of line to ask coaches to consider expenses when they're traveling/working meets. My husband travels and I know he picks different accommodations based on price and if something is out of line, it's questioned on his expense reports. I don't think it's crazy to ask our coaches to do the same.

As a parent, I don't mind at all paying the valet fee for the coaches, or for them to have a decent meal after working the meet all day, even though most meets do provide food for the judges and coaches. It has got to be exhausting weekends for them.

But unfortunately I have no idea what our gym pays them. We just get billed a fee for each gymnast's share.

I'm a little lost at what you're made about. I was just trying to see if the previous poster was paid the same $25 stipend for food regardless of how long they were gone. We pay more than $25 for food for our coaches if they're coaching all day, in addition to their session pay and the other travel expenses. The idea has gone around to pay a higher session amount and eliminating food (basically it's already added in the increased per session pay) or continue to pay a per session rate (with a raise for next year) plus food (currently it's up to a certain amount for breakfast/lunch/dinner and they can use it all and buy themselves a nice dinner at 10pm - whatever they want). Again, I'm really only asking so we can give them a RAISE. I feel that you're taking it the wrong way. I didn't set up their current payment agreement. I'm just working with our booster club to try to get numbers together so we can pay our coaches more (but competitive) but we have to know what is reasonable so we can charge our parents correctly. And I agree, it totally sucks for the coach that only coaches the lower levels (this is the scenario in our gym) and the meet schedule comes out and they are only coaching one session a day. I can't control that one. I was just asking the coaches or booster clubs (wherever the payment is coming from) some information as to what they pay/are paid. That's it! I wish money weren't an object for our coaches or our parents but the reality is it is and we don't have a single parent on our team with unlimited funds.
That is not at all what your posts read. You specifically want to know if (and you did say, "any help would be appreciated") the coach who works one session should not get the extra $25 dollars if they eat at the gym. I replied.
Again, you need to ask yourself "what is my day worth". If you honestly believe your day of showing up early to the meet, staying after for awards, talking to the parents after the meet and driving an hour each way is worth the following sum, then do it. But lets get real here. If I am doing that I want at least the extra $25 dollars plus $70. Were talking about $95 dollars for a six hour day, which is much better than $70 (or in your case even less). 11 dollars an hour vs 15

That is not at all what your posts read. You specifically want to know if (and you did say, "any help would be appreciated") the coach who works one session should not get the extra $25 dollars if they eat at the gym. I replied.
Again, you need to ask yourself "what is my day worth". If you honestly believe your day of showing up early to the meet, staying after for awards, talking to the parents after the meet and driving an hour each way is worth the following sum, then do it. But lets get real here. If I am doing that I want at least the extra $25 dollars plus $70. Were talking about $95 dollars for a six hour day, which is much better than $70 (or in your case even less). 11 dollars an hour vs 15

I think what she was asking is if it should be the same. Should the coach doing 4 sessions should get the same amount as the coach doing 1. That's a fair question.

Dear parents, I tell it like it is. Put yourself in a coaches position, we make VERY little at meets when compared to our normal hourly rate
I think what she was asking is if it should be the same. Should the coach doing 4 sessions should get the same amount as the coach doing 1. That's a fair question.
Here is the quote "but have asked our coaches to be reasonable and if they ate at the meet, please don't charge us just to make extra money". And she also said... Quote "Currently our coaches make less per session as stated above but are paid more for food". So not only are her coaches making less than $70 a session but she/ they ask them not to charge them the $25 if they eat at the gym. So my interpretation is legit.

Yes! This is what I was getting at. I'm just trying to clarify if they are getting the same amount for food. That does make a difference in their pay if you're trying to come up with something "fair".

Here's some backstory on our situation: booster club has always paid for coaches expenses. It wasn't until last years season that a parent volunteer actually did more than just write the check every month. It was found that our coaches/head coach/whomever was making arrangements were being careless. Our coach did not make their hotel reservation for our travel meet until the day of the meet last year. We paid over 3 times the host hotel price ($1500 vs $450 for 3 days) because of things like this (this is just one example). Due to changes in our team numbers, we have less money this year and more travel meets. We had to have a meeting with our coaches to explain this (because the money tree was dying). We are being proactive and trying to research so next year when we are giving out fees to parents, we include a FAIR salary for our coaches and bring in enough money for this. We just need help with numbers and I think it's fair to ask coaches to be respectful of how they are spending the booster club money.

We pay $75/session, $50/day per diem, hotel, mileage (no gas), parking fees. Booster club pays for airfare or rental car if needed.
No per diem rate paid for local meets .
We do encourage car pooling if possible to meets that are a significant distance away (3-4 hrs).

I not in region 5, but based on what I see in my region, I think you will find anything in the range of $50-100 per session being within the range of normal, with most falling between $75-100. I have heard of programs either having a daily minimum, or capping the sessions (as more meets run in the direction of 5 smaller, shorter sessions per day, as opposed to 4 large sessions... Especially for lower levels.), but I do not think that is the norm.

Some gyms/booster clubs pay a flat fee for meals each day, regardless of whether the coach actually pays for meals, and some require receipts and reimburse only what is spent.

Most gyms/booster clubs pay for airfare and hotel, as well as rental cars. Coaches are typically expected to share hotel rooms and rental cars when possible.

For local meets, coaches are typically paid the IRS mileage rate, and expected to carpool when they are able. It would be unreasonable to expect coaches to carpool if it would make a coach stay for hours after they finish coaching and not be paid for their time.

Our booster club always made all the hotel reservations , flights and car rentals for the coaches well in advance so there was no last minute Lucy high charge for these items. One coach said he "preferred to make his own arrangements because he wasn't sure of his schedule"....we informed him that that was fine, but his reimbursement for such would be at the same rate that his peers had gotten rates...so if the rest of the coaching staff was in rooms for $100 a night and he ( for whatever reason) decided to book later and/or elsewhere for a higher rate, the delta was on him. After one season of this, he returned to being booked with the rest of the staff, and less out of pocket expense I would imagine.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back