WAG Region 5 coaches pay

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Wow... None of our kids pay nearly that much. Our compulsories and xcels are less than $1000 INCLUDING their meet entry fees. Our optionals don't pay much more than $1000. Again, including meet entry fees. And we have meets all over the place, including several that require airfare for coaches.

How many meets did that include?
Wow. We pay $800 meet fees, and that includes the coach's fees, for 6 meets plus state. Optionals pay $900.

Over $1000 for coaching fees is crazy unless you have a very small team that travels a lot. Unless you are including the actual meet entry fees, which would make it more reasonable.

Like others, I've never seen season fees less than $1,000 (in artistic). Ours have ranged from about $1,300 to about $2,600. They did include meet entries, but the lowest one was local xcel meets only and the most expensive one was only four meets (supposed to be six but there were issues). I would love under a $1,000 per season.

Like others, I've never seen season fees less than $1,000 (in artistic). Ours have ranged from about $1,300 to about $2,600. They did include meet entries, but the lowest one was local xcel meets only and the most expensive one was only four meets (supposed to be six but there were issues). I would love under a $1,000 per season.

Right. But the people upthread were paying over $1000 in coaching fees alone. Not including the meet entry fees! That is crazy!

I travel frequently on business. Our organization pays the federal per diem for meals. If a meal is provided at a meeting or by the hotel, we are not paid the portion of the per diem for that meal. We do not submit receipts for meals and are free to use the per diem however we wish.

If I drive my own car I get reimbursed for the mileage at the federal rate, but I do not get reimbursed for gas because that is covered as part of the mileage rate. If I rent a car, I am reimbursed for the rental fee and gas, but not for mileage. I am not required to carpool with a colleague if it does not make logistical sense.

These policies are simple and fair and prevent double-dipping. I sure hope our booster club treats our coaches similarly.

That was me. It was for coaching (session) fees and coach travel.

Do boys' meets typically involve more travel than girls' meets? Our boys' team has to travel a lot farther to find meets than our girls' team. I would expect their coaching and travel expenses to be higher.

Our girls' teams are also larger at each level than our boys' teams, so there are fewer families splitting the expenses on the boys' side.

Right. But the people upthread were paying over $1000 in coaching fees alone. Not including the meet entry fees! That is crazy!

We paid $2,600 for four meets. Two were travel meets, but take out the meet fees and that is around $2,200 for four meets. The gym has since folded, so I'm guessing there were larger problems than overcharging for meets.

Do boys' meets typically involve more travel than girls' meets? Our boys' team has to travel a lot farther to find meets than our girls' team. I would expect their coaching and travel expenses to be higher.

Our girls' teams are also larger at each level than our boys' teams, so there are fewer families splitting the expenses on the boys' side.

We have 2 flying trips. 3 coaches. about 35 boys. It does add up.

wow makes me glad we are in the UK, we don't have coaches fees ! We pay meet fees, normally about max £25 ( $31) each

Pretty normal actually. Also depends where you live . Some areas just cost more to do business

dumb question. does the gym still pay the coach the same hourly rate they'd make back at the gym for coaching? If not, to me, that is the bigger issue. They are still working/coaching/representing the gym. Is the pay per session in addition to the normal hourly rate?

dumb question. does the gym still pay the coach the same hourly rate they'd make back at the gym for coaching? If not, to me, that is the bigger issue. They are still working/coaching/representing the gym. Is the pay per session in addition to the normal hourly rate?
Most gyms do not. It would lead to excessive overtime. So a session amount is paid, and often it is less than hourly.

Most gyms do not. It would lead to excessive overtime. So a session amount is paid, and often it is less than hourly.

I've always wondered - what if the meet is during a usual practice time, or replaces a usual practice? Does the gym still pay the coaches their usual? Like meet is on Friday so Friday practice is cancelled, or meet is on Saturday, so Saturday practice is cancelled?

At dd's gym, they still have Friday and Saturday practice when they have a Sunday meet, unless it is a travel meet. I always assumed the coaches were still paid like they would be for a Friday practice by the gym if the kids have a Friday meet.

I've always wondered - what if the meet is during a usual practice time, or replaces a usual practice? Does the gym still pay the coaches their usual? Like meet is on Friday so Friday practice is cancelled, or meet is on Saturday, so Saturday practice is cancelled?

At dd's gym, they still have Friday and Saturday practice when they have a Sunday meet, unless it is a travel meet. I always assumed the coaches were still paid like they would be for a Friday practice by the gym if the kids have a Friday meet.
Depends on the gym, but we do pay normal
Hourly if it falls on your normal hours.

I mention this issue upthread. In the past I often missed Friday practice hours (4) and Saturday practice hours (6.5) for competitions, but I have only ever been paid my session fee ($50/session)...nothing from the gym or any reimbursement for missed work.

I mention this issue upthread. In the past I often missed Friday practice hours (4) and Saturday practice hours (6.5) for competitions, but I have only ever been paid my session fee ($50/session)...nothing from the gym or any reimbursement for missed work.

That stinks. I guess as parents, we don't get that money back for practices that are cancelled for meets, so I assumed it was still going to the coaches. Kind of stinks if it isn't. :(

In my experience, salaried coaches are paid the same, even if practices are canceled for meets, but hourly coaches are not paid unless they are at the gym coaching practice.

Thanks for all the info! It gives us stuff to look into. I think our gym is currently in line with some of it's pay but I think a higher session fee might be nice. I think 3 of our 5 coaches are salaried, the other 2 are not which means they're the ones missing more pay for Friday/Saturday competitions that the others. From talking to more people (not just here on this forum), we also might be sending too many coaches and have a lot of mileage because of the constant rotation of coaches in and out. That's where our line gets fuzzy, coaches (as in head coach) make the decision on who to send and we (boosters) pays for it. It might be worth a discussion about the actual cost when we send so many coaches. It might let us pay the coach at the meet more but also help costs down (because the mileage adds up fast!). Lot's of different view points to consider and many different budgets (as in parents that would like to have every coach there for every meet without regard to cost and other parents that would like their kids to compete but are barely keeping them in the sport due to finances).

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News