Parents Reservations About Posting Videos Of My DD

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I would really like to post some videos of my 4 year old dd on a youtube account. (Santa bought us a new camera.) I guess I am wondering if parents ever get negative comments posted about their young children on their accounts. I know that it would be ok for me to see them but I am afraid that my dd or other children would read them.( I would also be posting videos of my other children.) My concern is that she is a talented 4 year old but let's face it she is not an elite gymnast and I am concerned about someone who wouldn't understand her age vs. gymnastics ability making negative comments that she could somehow hear about. Yes, I know I can't protect her forever but am I just inviting in something that is not even necessary? I would really like to share because she is so fun to watch but she is only 4. I really enjoy watching all of the gymnasts videos and so does my dd. Sorry if this sounds silly but it does concern me. Advice from parents and coaches would be appreciated

You can disable comments on youtube and just collect comments here, that way you don't have to worry about the negative stuff AS MUCH!!!

I tend to only put my girls videos up briefly and I do not tag them or put names or even gymastics in the details. That means only the people I want to see tham can, it also means that when someone searches for 4 year old gymnastics your videos won't pop up. There is a drop down menu on youtube where you have to select a category, I use them all in order, I think the last one was automative!!

And you can also make the videos private so that only people you invite can see them. You can also change and edit the "tags" at any time. If the video is "public", the more tags you have the more often the video will come up in various searches and the less tags you have the less likely it will come up in searches. You can also switch the video from public to private (and vice versa) at any given time as well. You can also delete any comments.

you can also use an alternative site called vimeo. This one allows you to make her videos private and password protected. This means that anyone that you give the password to can view them, but unlike youtube you don't have to specify on 25 people that are allowed to view them. I also like that vimeo doesn't restrict my music choice when I make a collage video. I was frustrated that after spending forever uploading a video to youtube, they would disable my sound because they didn't like my song choice (something about copyrights). Vimeo allows me to use any music clip without censorship. Only other vimeo members can comment on the vimeo site though, so if you're looking for positive feedback to posted there....it's unlikely. On the plus side, no negative comments there either.

We have our youtube page set up so that any comments posted have to be approved by Sean or me.

We are also set up that only approved comments are allowed. I have to say I haven't gotten many "mean" comments. I get a lot of silly comments such as "I'm a level 10 7year old and I could do that since I was 2" I just don't approve them.

I have our account set up like the past couple of users, I have to approve the comment before it is posted. I don't get many negative comments, but I do get spam occasioanlly ("watch my videos and sub!"), which I don't approve.

My daughter loves reading all of the comments from family, friends, and even people she doesn't know.

Yes. Negative comments are INEVITABLE on youtube. only allow comments with approval. and block anyone leaving anything negative

I have videos posted of my dd doing handsprings and whips at age 3 & 4. I get comments like "she's not 3" or "no way. that kids more like 6" or one of my all time faves is "i could do double fulls when i was 5 and i learned my first double back at 4 years old."

Oh, and I've had some really nice people comment that my dd is FAT!!!

Some idiots have even tried to post completely inappropriate comments. They are immediately blocked from our page.

People can be pretty awful. :rolleyes:

I agree that negative comments are inevitable. I have gotten some nasty ones as well and I immediately delete the comment, block the user and depending on the nature of the comment-report them as abusive.

Thanks for this thread--it has reminded me to go into my account and change my settings to only "allow comments with approval".

I also thoroughly "check out" peoples' profiles that want me added as a friend or have subscribed to me. There are a lot of "creepy people" out there who may be on youtube for "other reasons". If I suspect something is off with this person, I just block them.

Honestly I posted my first video on you tube almost two years ago when dd was 4 years old and the negative comments are few and far between. Far more positive, insipiring comments. I do get lots of silly ones and I just ignore them and delete. I would set up your account to approve friends, subscribers, and comments. That way you can monitor more or less what is going on.

I've had the same reservations, myself. But, knowing about how to make it private or protected, might change my mind, a little. I've got a lot of video of all of my kids training, performing, etc, but so far I've only put them up on our family website, which is completely private for family members only. Well, my husband does all the posting, really ;-) I'm probably one of the technologically impaired. It's great to know about safer ways to use available services. Really cool!

I have received some negative comments on my youtube account for my DD in the past. I usually just delete them. Most of them are from kids comparing themselves. One poster was obviously a child and made some negative remarks about my DD's first meets as a L4. After some detective work on checking out some of her other comments I sent her a private message. She gave out way too much info on herself (name, age) and I could even tell what gym she was at. She was trying out for a L4 team & I guess it made her feel better making fun of my DD's skills. First I let her have it about internet safety, explained she wasn't being nice to leave such comments, and tried to be supportive as she tried out for her team (ex; keep trying, gymnastics is not as easy as it looks, skills take some time and lots of practice!) and I haven't heard from her again. You can make it so you don't get any comments, but we enjoy sharing with our family and friends and while our video may look not so good to some, they mean the world to us and we are proud. Some people even leave a message on their account stating mean comments will be deleted.

It is the best of both to have you approve messages before they are seen. If you dont like it you just dont approve it and no one sees it. Easy and you still get the nice ones. I am still surprised how many people dont have this on their accounts.

I also have Katy's videos posted on youtube.... just make sure you "approve" comments before they are posted. I've only had one negative comment and it was along the lines of "well, I could do that when I was 4 years old"... so it just wasn't aprpoved!... Actually back then, I think it WAS posted... b/c I didn't realize you could approve comments first!

I also thoroughly "check out" peoples' profiles that want me added as a friend or have subscribed to me. There are a lot of "creepy people" out there who may be on youtube for "other reasons". If I suspect something is off with this person, I just block them.

I do that too! I can't tell the difference between someone becoming your "friend" and "subscribing", so I don't accept "friends". Does anyone here know what the difference is?

I do that too! I can't tell the difference between someone becoming your "friend" and "subscribing", so I don't accept "friends". Does anyone here know what the difference is?

I do the same thing . . .

a subscriber only receives a notice when you upload a video, favorite a video etc

a friend is the same but can usually post comments without approval

I block subscribers and friend requests if the other sites they favorite and comments they make on other videos are "questionable" I will block a user if I see they left a mean comment on someones page or used inappropriate language.

I haven't accepted many friends - mostly other moms or gymnasts - that have posted videos on their site.

So much to think about huh?

I will tell you I almost pulled all my videos a year ago when I found a youtube page with links to my videos - claiming they were THEIR kids!!! Turned out to be a kid and she sent me email upon email apologizing and closed the site. sigh.

I'm very careful about connecting with other users. People are not always who they say they are. On youtube mostly I find it's kids pretending to be adults LOL. That said . . . not sure if I mentioned it at the time but we actually got to meet a very nice girl at a competition a few months ago that was a Youtube subscriber. She was with her mom and I think Jess thought it was the coolest thing ever to meet a "fan" . . . so did we. They took photos together and talked - it was really cool

Thanks to everyone who provided information for posting my kids videos. My DH says thanks to everyone too! We will go ahead and figure out how to do it all in the safest and friendliest way possible. This topic would be helpful if it were a sticky because I am sure there are a lot of families out there just like ours who have important questions about video sites and want the best for their kids safety wise. Again, thanks to everyone and my DH and I have some work to do.

I was just wondering if you have posted any videos of your DD on you tube. Callie's all started so family could view her progress. They always say they want to come see her,but rarely have an opportunity. You Tube can be scary, but we have had a positive experience thus far. I keep track of who subscribes and comments however. I have to say that I delete any negative influences by way of comments and subscribers. You have to be vigilant that's all. I'd like to see some of your DD's videos if you have posted them on you tube. Callie like's to view Olivia'sclub, apinero, and flynga- very talented little ones as well. As a parent, I have to admit that talking to other moms across the country and world is also useful. I have talked quite a bit with a mom in the Ukraine and have found our discussions very useful.:)

Lilgymmie7- I just got a video camera for Christmas that is capable of posting videos and I have taken a limited amount. I haven't posted on Youtube or Vimeo yet but hope to soon. I really didn't realize at the time that most 3 year olds and 4 year olds couldn't do what my daughter was doing. It was brought to my attention by other moms that had older competitive gymnasts. I just took her to class and she did what the other kids where doing and the coaches just moved her along and expected her to do the skills and never made a big deal out of it. I like that because it is less pressure on her. I will post some soon but sometimes I feel funny about videotaping in the gym. Sometimes it is a privacy issue too because she is in the gym with some elites and there have been times that they where on the equiptment at the same time.

I understand. At my DD gym, parents are only allowed to watch the last half hour of practice. I too feel funny taping her at practice. Most of her videos are from open gym, home, and recently her meets. Again, we are looking forward to seeing her progress. :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back