Coaches Rewards and incentives

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

twisting007bigflip

Coach
Proud Parent
For the last several years I've been coaching compulsory team. Recently I started to a group of new-to-optionals kids.
I put a compulsory level specific chart on the wall (one for level 2, one for 3, one for 4, etc) with all of the compulsory skills for their level, some flexibility, conditioning, and skills in next level up. When a kid becomes proficient at any certain skill, I give them a star to mark off that skill on the chart.

Generally, my "reward" to the kids is the star itself. They work hard, they get their skill, they get the star. When they get all of their stars for skills, the reward has generally been that they get to compete that level.

I'll also do contests with them during class like "biggest split jump" or longest handstand on beam, or most dynamic vault...usually I'll reward the winner with 5 minutes of event specific free time while everyone else works on the contest's skill...

Every once in awhile I'll bring in some gymnast gear from Justice (the little girls store) like gymnast bracelets, pens, headbands, water bottles...things that I get cheap - I'm not spending out the wazoo :) - and I'll give those to first time kippers or the first time they score over a 36 AA or their first 9.5...

Anyway, I'm looking for new ways to get my kids to work hard and try their best. I want to keep doing what I'm doing, but I want to change it up a little. I still need to do the star chart so that they (and parents) can see what they need to move up, and I want to keep offering free time and "conditioning skips" and those types of things...but I'm just looking for something more.

Suggestions? What works or has worked for you?

First day in Economics 101, I walked in and in huge letters on the board it said 'Incentives Matter.' It was true then, and it's true today. Even more so when dealing with children. Sounds like you are really in tune with that, and are doing a lot of really good and fun things. One thing I might add is that I have a pickle jar in which I put a marble every time someone does something 'amazing.' I base amazing on each individual athlete and their current abilities, and then challenge them to do better (bigger, more aggressive, better shape, more courage, etc.). If they amaze me, a marble goes in the jar. When the jar (which has a label describing the reward) is full, we then get to have the reward. It varies from an ice cream party, swimming day at the water park, go to the movies, barbeque at the park, etc. The kids love it, and I love how the kids push themselves and cheer and encourage each other to do 'amazing' things. Keep up the good work.

Here you go...

Skip conditioning?...that's like skipping bars...no way...just give them the watermelon after conditioning.

How about team stuff...

• Banners - achieve a team goal (100 clear hips into a giant) and you get to paint a banner to hang in the gym
  • Halloween fun - achieve a team goal (100 rope climbs) and you get to make tombstones for the other local clubs out of old foam scraps and paint
  • Grill out - achieve a team goal (right now...meet situation...no falls...beam) and we'll grill out after practice on Saturday (parents will help with this one)
  • Sprinkler - achieve a team goal (learn to only chalk up once every time around the 7 station bar circuit...or once every 10-15 skills for optionals) and we'll put the sprinkler out in the grass tomorrow for conditioning (we do lots of outdoor conditioning in the summer...this is a reward for them in itself)
  • Sundaes - achieve a team goal (everyone must double flip 10x somewhere somehow...right now...go) and we'll we let your parents organize ice cream sundaes after practice next Thursday
  • Veggies - achieve a team goal (500 connected back tucks on tramp...the first one of the series never counts...only 2 - whatever do...10 minutes...go) and we'll leave a giant try of cut up veggies and dip out for the entire practice (they love this one)

Oh...I forgot the girly stuff...

• Achieve a team goal (build an igloo out of foam cubes...must have a top and a door...you can't use any other mats and it has to be done on the spring floor) and and we'll make team...flip flops...bracelets...hair bows...necklaces...team t-shirts with puff paint...etc.

Here you go...

Skip conditioning?...that's like skipping bars...no way...just give them the watermelon after conditioning.

How about team stuff...

• Banners - achieve a team goal (100 clear hips into a giant) and you get to paint a banner to hang in the gym
  • Halloween fun - achieve a team goal (100 rope climbs) and you get to make tombstones for the other local clubs out of old foam scraps and paint
  • Grill out - achieve a team goal (right now...meet situation...no falls...beam) and we'll grill out after practice on Saturday (parents will help with this one)
  • Sprinkler - achieve a team goal (learn to only chalk up once every time around the 7 station bar circuit...or once every 10-15 skills for optionals) and we'll put the sprinkler out in the grass tomorrow for conditioning (we do lots of outdoor conditioning in the summer...this is a reward for them in itself)
  • Sundaes - achieve a team goal (everyone must double flip 10x somewhere somehow...right now...go) and we'll we let your parents organize ice cream sundaes after practice next Thursday
  • Veggies - achieve a team goal (500 connected back tucks on tramp...the first one of the series never counts...only 2 - whatever do...10 minutes...go) and we'll leave a giant try of cut up veggies and dip out for the entire practice (they love this one)

Ok - when I said "conditioning skips" I didn't mean skip conditioning totally :) I mean like if we are doing 5 frisbee walks, that kid can change out frisbee walks for another conditioning skill of their choice OR if a lot of kids have skips for that day, I'll let give them the chance to skip chin up pullovers but then I add something else in that they dont know about to compensate (so they never miss conditioning at all...they just think they do) :)

I love the marble idea and JBS, I LOVE the sprinkler idea and the tombstone idea is a riot! I would have never thought of that! And watermelon???? Why did that never cross my mind?? Great suggestion!

If anyone else has any ideas, please post!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back