WAG Scoring out?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

onelittledream

Proud Parent
Can someone explain to me what scoring out is? I hear it used all the time and have seen some posts referencing it but I am not really sure what that means? I assumed the first time I heard it used that it meant that a gymnast scored high enough in sanctioned meets cumulatively over the season to move to the next JO level.............but now I am not so sure of my understanding.

A gymnast has to have a certain score in a USAG sanctioned meet to pass that level (and be allowed to compete the next). Scoring out generally refers to a gymnast who is effectively skipping a level, and thus has to score out of that one (=receive a qualifying score at a sanctioned meet) before he or she can go on and compete the next level. It's commonly done in gyms who skip level 5 and go to level 6.

Not all USAG levels require a qualifying score, FYI. Any level before 4 is not required and Level 6 is not required. :)

It also explains why our gym has skill requirements for levels 1-3 but no specific mention of skills after 4..............because it is essentially the score that gets them to move to the new level not just throwing the skills at a testing session.

It also explains why our gym has skill requirements for levels 1-3 but no specific mention of skills after 4..............because it is essentially the score that gets them to move to the new level not just throwing the skills at a testing session.
Well, yes and no. The mobility score for lower JO levels is quite low - 31/32. Most gyms have a higher score requirement - 34-36 - plus a list of skills they need to master (or close to mastering) before moving up.

Yes and no. At most gyms simply achieving the score at the prior level will not get them to the next level, however it is required by USAG. Usually they are required to have the skills as well. However, at many gyms the lists of skills for level 1-3 are published as those are often rec levels and you pass to the next level in rec by achieving all the skills. In competition team the requirements are very different to move to the next level and vary from gym to gym.

oh wow...............very interesting, I liked the list because I could look at it and make a fairly accurate guess as to what was being worked on, but now without a list its a "flippy thing" lol

Well, yes and no. The mobility score for lower JO levels is quite low - 31/32. Most gyms have a higher score requirement - 34-36 - plus a list of skills they need to master (or close to mastering) before moving up.
Ours doesn't have a score requirement, only a skill requirement, though at levels 9 and 10 your routines must meet a minimum start value for the gym to compete you at that level (usually, if you can get there on 3/4 events, they'll let you).

Every level beyond L3 has certain gateway skills that most gyms require before they will move a girl up to the next level, even if the girls has exceeded the score set by USAG to allow mobility to the next level. Some of these skills are notoriously difficult to learn for many gymnasts. Here's a very partial list of skills that often cause trouble:

L4: kip on bars, going over the table on vault, cartwheel and handstand on beam
L5: free hip on bars, flyaway on bars, BWO or other backwards skill on beam, tucks on floor
L7: giants (some gyms require them) on bars, acro series on beam
L8: flipping vault (again, not strictly necessary but some gyms require), pirouette or B release on bars, twisting on floor, upgrading acro on beam
L9: flipping vault sufficiently upgraded, release on bars, double back dismount on bars, C tumbling on floor, acro on beam, flip on beam
L10: upgrading all events to include enough Cs and connections!

A great question and great replies. This is very helpful since this is also our plan. Thanks everyone!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back