Parents Season over! (Whew)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Sminty

Proud Parent
DD's last meet was this past weekend. It's been a bit of a rough year as she's had to endure multiple coaching changes (the last 2 only lasted 6 months), a paralyzing fear of the high bar, the departure of several teammates, and a broken elbow. So proud of her for maintaining a positive attitude throughout and getting to good place.

Now on to the next challenge! Anyone else glad it's over?

State and regionals for us too. Cannot wait until we are done this year either! Glad I am not the only one!

How'd her season turn out. Is she going to states?
I'd have to call it a tough season. We have one more meet which is May 17 and the same weekend as states. They said the girls from the other gyms going are getting in the high 30s and even though our girls qualified they are nowhere near that so we're not going :( My DD flat out said she'd rather get destroyed at states than do better in a lesser meet. If it were up to me, I'd love her to go for the experience, but I do see where the coaches are coming from. The deadline isn't until April 24, so I'm still holding out hope. Oh well...we knew going in that this was bascially a practice year for her. Hopefully she can score out this summer (or early fall) and start optionals in the fall! It's really just bars that she's lacking on right now, and 6 months is a lifetime in gymnastics, right?! (I hope!!!)

DD still has states in 11 days (not that I'm counting) then regionals if she gets over her mental block and qualifies. I'm so ready for this season to be over, though it was going well before this mental block began. Congrats on another season done to all the girls/guys who are already done.

I'd have to call it a tough season. We have one more meet which is May 17 and the same weekend as states. They said the girls from the other gyms going are getting in the high 30s and even though our girls qualified they are nowhere near that so we're not going :( My DD flat out said she'd rather get destroyed at states than do better in a lesser meet. If it were up to me, I'd love her to go for the experience, but I do see where the coaches are coming from. The deadline isn't until April 24, so I'm still holding out hope. Oh well...we knew going in that this was bascially a practice year for her. Hopefully she can score out this summer (or early fall) and start optionals in the fall! It's really just bars that she's lacking on right now, and 6 months is a lifetime in gymnastics, right?! (I hope!!!)
Sorry to hear of the disappointment, esp. in regards to the state meet.

I guess I'm wondering about the wisdom of scoring out of level 4 and 5, if she and others are not scoring that well in Xcel Gold? What's the purpose of the fast track? I don't know if 6 months is enough time to get those bar skills, it's not just the kip that's needed but a free hip connected to a kip and a baby giant.

I guess I'm wondering about the wisdom of scoring out of level 4 and 5, if she and others are not scoring that well in Xcel Gold? What's the purpose of the fast track? I don't know if 6 months is enough time to get those bar skills, it's not just the kip that's needed but a free hip connected to a kip and a baby giant.
Don't think this hasn't crossed my mind...I will say that the 2 girls (both 12) that train with the optional team and my DD haven't scored great, but have placed very well. (So maybe this area doesn't score high? Or maybe we're not going to tough meets? I'm still learning...) and they could both easily score out right now. The other Golds train with the preteam and there is a big range. I suspect at least 2 he will have score out? And they are also placing well. Also, we did go into the season knowing DD was doing higher end skills like taking a hit for every little thing on floor with that 3rd pass. And BHS on beam is getting better, but still not great form. (but she stays on better than 90% of the time) But he wants her to get used to competing it. She has won vault twice, so I feel good there, and whatever she is doing right on bars must be ok, because believe it or not that actually is her highest average so far. I know she can do baby Giants (she was working real Giants yesterday-terrifying!) and I'm not sure about the free hip. The kip comes and goes...I don't know...you're not crazy, I have my concerns, but I guess I have to trust in the coaches? Thanks for thinking of us :)

DD still has states in 11 days (not that I'm counting) then regionals if she gets over her mental block and qualifies. I'm so ready for this season to be over, though it was going well before this mental block began. Congrats on another season done to all the girls/guys who are already done.
Good luck!!

I agree. I think it will be hard to get to and do things like nice giants without first having the foundation of free hips and baby giants. Same with other events. Trust me, I know, it's hard to be patient, but I'm learning too!

She's also working out six days a week, right? She may not score great at Level 6 next year, but I would bet she'll either repeat 6 or do 7 the year after that and, if she keeps up with those hours, she'll do well.

Don't think this hasn't crossed my mind...I will say that the 2 girls (both 12) that train with the optional team and my DD haven't scored great, but have placed very well. (So maybe this area doesn't score high? Or maybe we're not going to tough meets? I'm still learning...) and they could both easily score out right now. The other Golds train with the preteam and there is a big range. I suspect at least 2 he will have score out? And they are also placing well. Also, we did go into the season knowing DD was doing higher end skills like taking a hit for every little thing on floor with that 3rd pass. And BHS on beam is getting better, but still not great form. (but she stays on better than 90% of the time) But he wants her to get used to competing it. She has won vault twice, so I feel good there, and whatever she is doing right on bars must be ok, because believe it or not that actually is her highest average so far. I know she can do baby Giants (she was working real Giants yesterday-terrifying!) and I'm not sure about the free hip. The kip comes and goes...I don't know...you're not crazy, I have my concerns, but I guess I have to trust in the coaches? Thanks for thinking of us :)

That's tough. I would be upset if my DD was placing well and yet not allowed to go to States.

We compete against a lot of the power gyms in our state throughout the season, So, for our girls, States isn't really all that much different competition-wise.

The qualifying score is 28AA, for me that is too low. If I brought my 29 AA that has never competed before this year (4meets) she would be devastated. The girls going are easily scoring 36-38! Yeah, she qualified, but that would be a hard pill to swallow for a first year competetor. There is a good chance I'll get to bring some of my higher scoring girls.....they may actually have a fighting chance. We do have 2months to prepare.
This is also our first year competing Xcel and sanctioned meets, but not yet against power gyms. We placed really good this year so far.

The qualifying score is 28AA, for me that is too low. If I brought my 29 AA that has never competed before this year (4meets) she would be devastated. The girls going are easily scoring 36-38! Yeah, she qualified, but that would be a hard pill to swallow for a first year competetor. There is a good chance I'll get to bring some of my higher scoring girls.....they may actually have a fighting chance. We do have 2months to prepare.
This is also our first year competing Xcel and sanctioned meets, but not yet against power gyms. We placed really good this year so far.
That does make sense, it is a low qualifying score. Let me ask this though. If they are performing at such a level that you would not take them to states in Xcel, why would you plan to push them through 2 JO levels and on to optionals? Seems like something foundational is missing?!?

Sorry got way off topic...... We have one meet left, hopefully states will come into play. It's been a great first season for a lot of girls.

That does make sense, it is a low qualifying score. Let me ask this though. If they are performing at such a level that you would not take them to states in Xcel, why would you plan to push them through 2 JO levels and on to optionals? Seems like something foundational is missing?!?

Ok so. This is our first year in xcel. Our gym did compulsories last year, level 3's and 5's we had. Last summer our gym changed to Xcel instead of compulsories. Just prior to this, we picked girls out of our pre team, that we felt had potential, to go up to work with the optional team for the summer. So 3 of the 5 we sent up to work with the optional coaches have stayed with that group. Because we then switched to xcel, they were placed as golds but are with he older team. We have gold and silver on the pre team. So, the optional coaches are working with the xcel golds to get them ready for optionals ultimately......will that happen in 1 -2 year of being in their group...maybe, maybe not. The girls that are with the JO optional girls just have a different end goal. They wont be optionals until they have the skills they need to make it there, in the meantime they are working more hours and uptraining way more than our pre team group. If you knew the girls that moved up and seen their work ethic, and ability to set goals and be coached with ease, you would know why they are with the optional team. They would get bored if they stayed where they were last year. I'm thankful to have the pleasure of watching them grow while on the upper team.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back