Parents Season over! (Whew)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Good for her! My DD has had a great week at practice too. (Thank God! There was a rough stretch there...) not to get off topic again, but out of curiosity, if the plan is to go back to JO, why do platinum? I assume a kid with platinum skills would be fine for 6. But have have seen other people say that. Just wondering! Thanks a and good luck in the "post season" :)
She did this before the level changes, thus the current level 6 did not exist. Old level 6 was a compulsory level similar to current level 5. The level changes were done, in part, to keep people form jumping from JO to Xcel and back again. As that was happening when girls were not ready for level 7.

She did this before the level changes, thus the current level 6 did not exist. Old level 6 was a compulsory level similar to current level 5. The level changes were done, in part, to keep people form jumping from JO to Xcel and back again. As that was happening when girls were not ready for level 7.
Gotcha...my DD started competing a few months after the changes, so I'm not very familiar with before. So Platinum was a little below old 7? Now I think 7 would be the very high end of Platinum? I know they can do Giants.

We have some movement between xcel and JO. A quick look shows that, they bring the girls who competed xcel gold to Level 4. A child who wants to score out and move to optionals (6) from excel would be a platinum at our gym - at least that is how it seems to work under the new levels. I wouldn't presume to know the coaches' reasoning, except I think they want the girls to be solid and competitive when they switch tracks. I think it would be difficult to switch tracks and struggle with the stiffer competition at the optional level.

We have some movement between xcel and JO. A quick look shows that, they bring the girls who competed xcel gold to Level 4. A child who wants to score out and move to optionals (6) from excel would be a platinum at our gym - at least that is how it seems to work under the new levels. I wouldn't presume to know the coaches' reasoning, except I think they want the girls to be solid and competitive when they switch tracks. I think it would be difficult to switch tracks and struggle with the stiffer competition at the optional level.
Good point. It's interesting how HUGE the range of Xcel skills is in different areas.

Good point. It's interesting how HUGE the range of Xcel skills is in different areas.

Yes, she would have been ore than fine for new 6 that year had it existed. She didn't have a giant though which she needed (at her gym) to move to 7. She had other B level bar skills -- clear hip, etc. -- so competed platinum with 10.0 start values, got the giant, and went to 7.

I agree. Our golds compete mostly L5 equivalent skills. Our Platinums have a wider range, but would fall somewhere between 6 and 7 skills.

For the most part, our gym uses xcel as it was intended - as a lower hours, fewer competitions than Optionals. They tend to be middle school girls who participate in other activities/sports outside of the gym.

For the most part, our gym uses xcel as it was intended - as a lower hours, fewer competitions than Optionals. They tend to be middle school girls who participate in other activities/sports outside of the gym.

Our gym usually does this as well. My daughter and about six other girls who would have competed the last year of level 6 compulsories did XCel instead because of the upcoming level changes. They still have a large XCel team at her gym, but they don't really move from XCel to JO. The XCel girls are generally older, go less hours, and many also compete for their local school.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back