WAG Serious training... curious, how much does it cost

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

DADGYMDAD

Proud Parent
I am curious, how much does it cost to train 25 to 30 hours a week in a club known for building skilled gymnasts. Like hopes and then further if the gymnast as the passion and what it takes to push herself in this sport. Seems hard to find real pointers on what to expect. Usa and Canads. Thanks

US (midwest) 350 a month for 16 hours a week, 450$ a month for 25 hours a week - optional training.
this is just tuition - there's meet fees/comp fees for coaches/travel/leos/grips/tape/wristbands
I'd say about $10000 a year.
this doesn't include any additional TOP/HOPES stuff (I don't know what that entails) this is for a JO athlete in optionals.

In north Texas, gym tuition alone will cost $500-$800 a month. Plus all the extras...gym homeschool program, meets, booster fees, doctor bills, etc. I never calculate it with all the extras. I don't think I could handle the number!

I don't know the answer to your question, but am feeling fortunate right now! We pay $250/month for 16 hours a week. Plus team dues and meet fees of approx. $1300 this season.

This is such a difficult question to answer because literally every gym is different.
It's a very expensive sport, even at the lower levels...the only way for you to know for sure is to ask the gym in question directly.

Depends on your gyms location! Dd is 20 hours, $255 per month, $1200 comp fees. We are on the low end (hallelujah!).
Ugh, reading everyone's answers is making my my head spin.

I know DD is at one of the more expensive gyms around but holy Moses! We paid more than $255 for preteam!

OP, to get actual specific answers for a gym you are interested in, be sure to ask them about fees on top of tuition....(meet/coaches/equipment fees, comp leo, warm ups, etc.) and also ask about the additional fees for tops/hopes, etc. most of the time it's all separate fees so it's important to be specific when you ask.

Lol... @bogwoppit ... The following was the response i THOUGHT i posted within 15 minutes of the question being asked:
"It could be upwards of $10000/ year, not counting incidentals (transportation to and from practice, leotards, meet fees, travel, etc).
It will vary by location and club. Some gyms are $400+ a month just for training. I know of some gyms with $300 team leotards. Meet fees can cost $55 - $150+ per meet. Parking for a meet could be extra. Spectator fees."

Glad to see I was pretty accurate. :) I just wish it would have posted when I typed it (stupid tablet).

Wow all I can say is I'm glad I pay no where near as much as you guys, I'm in the uk my dd is on 14 hrs per week and it works out at about $150 per month and even those doing 25 hrs per week pay no more than $200 - $250 per month. Whilst my dd isn't likely to be heading for the GB squad the gym does have GB squad members past and present

Tuition $350 per month, 30 hours per week. Comp fees about $1000. Incidentals, leos, etc., about $2000. Camp fees, minimum of $1500 ea including travel, est bc we live in Texas and our coaches drive, 3 camps per year, $4500. 3 travel meets, $2000 ea for parent attendance, so $6000 per year. Another $1500 if gymnast makes it to HOPES Challenge and $3000 if they make it to championships. My calculations put it at about $20K per year. That's for HOPES. TOPS would be less expensive, but my total doesn't include any JO meets.

From my part. We live in Canada, in the province of Quebec, if you would attend a program similar to homeschooling. It would be around 4000$ a year. For about 25 hours a week. On top of that meets and everything else. So if my daughter doesn't change her thinking about being an elite gymnast. In a couple of years i will be facing a bill around 10k to get her dream alive.

Ugh, reading everyone's answers is making my my head spin.

I know DD is at one of the more expensive gyms around but holy Moses! We paid more than $255 for preteam!

Wow..where ever you are we may need to move there! We are about the same hours for 2x as much! [emoji23]

Yeah I just looked at my pricing sheet, 20 hours at DD's gym is $435/mo. Tuition :confused:

Years ago, I realized how lucky we are! And my bank account thanks us every month!:):D:):D:):D

From my part. We live in Canada, in the province of Quebec, if you would attend a program similar to homeschooling. It would be around 4000$ a year. For about 25 hours a week. On top of that meets and everything else. So if my daughter doesn't change her thinking about being an elite gymnast. In a couple of years i will be facing a bill around 10k to get her dream alive.

Yes, I think Canadian gymnastics is a bit cheaper than in the US. Girls attend fewer competitions and costs for parents to attend are somewhat lower.

I am also in Quebec.

Curious whether the differences in the range of fees has to do with location where large metro areas would have higher costs given the higher costs of living and operating.

Like Taxidriver I'm glad we live in the UK. Hun fees at our gym max out at £120 per month, regardless of hours. And we don't pay coaches fees for comps.

Curious whether the differences in the range of fees has to do with location where large metro areas would have higher costs given the higher costs of living and operating.

We were never in a "large metro area" but I would ballpark the cost of "serious training" (defined as upper level optional tuition, TOPS, JO meets, travel, meet and coaches fees) at 12-14 K a year, at least..

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back