WAG Shorts in competition

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

My daughter since she has been old enough to communicate an opinion. That would be age 2 1/2 to 3. Has been very clear on what she likes and prefers.

She prefers and wears shorts to every practice and had since she started gymnastics. At 2.5, I could not have gotten her to put a blinged out fancy leo on without a fight. And I pick my battles.

She wears “leo only” at meets because she has no choice.

She won’t wear short shorts unless st gym. Doesn’t like her belly showing, tankinis or one pieces for her pool side. She is not a show skin kid. Me, I’m counting my lucky stars and hoping she continues on this trajectory, until at least out of high school and even college.

There is really no logical reason not to allow shorts, longer cuts, etc.... it’s preference that is all. As long as they are not a safety hazard no one should care.

I’m thinking about the recent wardrobe malfunction at the Olympics during ice skating this year. In hindsight, she might have made a different choice.

And it's not only bottoms that are barely covered. The string mentioned above is beyond not appropriate and embarrassing.

Shorts would have take care of that. I'm not a prude. I prefer parts of me to be covered, athletes competing in a sport should not have to make a choice between covered parts and competing.

I think there is a definite middle ground between leotards that are showing off 90% of a young woman's butt and a granny cut. I have short, stocky legs. Granny cut leotards accentuated that, so I did prefer my leotards to have a slightly higher cut. That being said, I did not appreciate my butt hanging out mid-floor routine or leotards that constantly needed to be adjusted. I attended a gym that didn't allow shorts at practice and I found plenty of leotards that worked for me, it was just a matter of finding companies and sizes that worked. I do have gymnasts I coach who like to wear their leotards lower on their hips. Not my preference, but if that's what it takes to make them feel comfortable- why not?
No one is saying gymnasts need to wear a cut that is low on the legs or must wear shorts, but that athletes should be allowed to do what is most comfortable for them.

This doesn't bother DD yet, she is still little. But I think optional short shorts would be perfectly fine and make a lot of girls more comfortable.

There is really no logical reason not to allow shorts, longer cuts, etc.... it’s preference that is all. As long as they are not a safety hazard no one should care.

When I asked about leos vs shorts and shirt during practice, I was told that the leo was safer for spotting reasons as sometimes a coaches hand gets bound up in the shirt/straps/strings etc. I don't see how that would be an issue with the tight shorts though, and in competition spotting shouldn't really be an issue.

When I asked about leos vs shorts and shirt during practice, I was told that the leo was safer for spotting reasons as sometimes a coaches hand gets bound up in the shirt/straps/strings etc. I don't see how that would be an issue with the tight shorts though, and in competition spotting shouldn't really be an issue.
Yeah, I call BS on that reason.

Yes, it depends on the shorts or Leo’s. When my kid first started team it was a unitard. And even that took time.

No one has a problem spotting our girls in their very tight safe shorts. No shorts catching on anything.

My girls have all worn underwear under their leotards. They keep the leotards from moving around and giving wedgies, they keep things more secure during that time of the month, and it keeps the leo from going up their crack. They don't show either.

My girls have all worn underwear under their leotards. They keep the leotards from moving around and giving wedgies, they keep things more secure during that time of the month, and it keeps the leo from going up their crack. They don't show either.
The way Leo’s are cut these days, for many thongs might be the only undergarment that would work.

I think that the emphasis on high cut leotards and no shorts speaks volumes for the fact that we still have not entirely moved on, as a society, from expecting girls to place appearance over performance. When the adults around them make decisions based solely on asthetics, how they look somehow gains precedence over how they feel and what they can actually do.

Why are 'long lines' more important than keeping girls in the sport?

It does the girls an injustice to make the appearance of their apparel more important than its functionality. To make 'makes her legs look longer' more important than 'hides a tampon string'. To make 'requires extensive waxing' more important than 'feels comfortable competing straddle positions'.

Of course many girls loved a blinged up leotard and the special ritual of dressing for competition. But I have yet to hear a single good reason in this thread why optional shorts can't be a part of that.

I'd love to see a coach read this and order shorts with their competition leos. We had a coach on here a few years ago and the owner insisted on unitards. They found something that worked.
I remember. They went with biketards from Snowflake ... still not as comfortable as leo and shorts, but the design was definitely consistent down the leg.
And at the recent meet (i forget what it was called, but it was live streamed both men and women), the Chinese guy had shorts that matched his singlet.

I find it very beautiful that society now lets us celebrate and show off the female form in sport and everyday life, when less than a century ago figure skaters had to compete in ankle-length skirts. I just don’t want us to move backwards!

Btw I had a biketard (we called them gymsuits back then) and it cut into my crotch really badly, like major cameltoe. I said never again! Lol.

Attachments

• 92C89787-459E-447E-8131-54DF05B6AB9D.jpeg
    92C89787-459E-447E-8131-54DF05B6AB9D.jpeg
    219.4 KB · Views: 99
Literally not one person here has said high cut leotards lead to girls being preyed on. Not one. Your posts here are all so inflammatory.

I’m not trying to be disagreeable. I admitted that the Nastia Cup corset leos were totally unecessary and out of line.

I realize I’m in the minority here, but I personally don’t care for leos that look like granny panties at the bottom. I think a slightly higher cut hip (not anything outrageous) elongates the legs. Gymnastics leotards have never seemed scandalous to me, and I think all the pearl clutching is going too far. Also please keep in mind predators will prey on people regardless of what they wear. Remember Nassar also molested a softball player.

Growing up my parents didn’t let me wear two-piece swimsuits and I thought it was stupid. If a pedophile is on the beach, they will probably look regardless.

Ideally gymnasts should get a choice of which cut to wear. No one should be shamed for wearing either option.
My issue is not that the leo sets them
Up to be molested or something. It is more about being comfortabke doing their sport without having private areas exposed. What I saw in many photos from the Nastia cup looked uncomfortable. They were beyond high cut and just did not cover the girls.

I find it very beautiful that society now lets us celebrate and show off the female form in sport and everyday life, when less than a century ago figure skaters had to compete in ankle-length skirts. I just don’t want us to move backwards!

Btw I had a biketard (we called them gymsuits back then) and it cut into my crotch really badly, like major cameltoe. I said never again! Lol.

In the same breath and without getting political... I don't think we are moving backwards - but I think as a society as a whole, regardless if you identify/ debate as a left wing or right wing, there is this constant skew back and forth of "gender equality" & "we should be proud of our bodies" & "we should be modest" & "we should dress to protect ourselves" & "we should dress to make ourselves happy" etc. etc. The same person will argue two conflicting points and their narrative changes based on the circumstances. I am not accusing anyone particularly except for society as a whole (and I place most of the blame on social media keyboard warriors) - because I too have caught myself doing this.

Now - In the circumstance of predominately minor children/girls who do gymnastics - [absolutely] puberty is extremely difficult to manage. Hormones and menstrual cycles don't regulate immediately. It took me years (probably mid to late university, 20/21 years old) to finally feel 'normal' and confident that menstruation is a part of being a woman - and that everyone has breasts, pubic hair etc. And that it was nothing to be ashamed of. But in order for younger woman to understand this - I think a HUGE (and maybe unrealistic) culture shift would have to happen to destigmatize puberty in woman. So with that said - if it will keep a gymnast in the sport, and allow them to feel more confident - allow shorts. Sure. It is not going to kill anyone.

Do I like the way they look? Honestly - no. The "panty lines" from the leo & chopped leg line, for me, is not a polished look. And maybe judges wont care, maybe they will. Unfortunately - gymnastics is a subjective sport. And one style is not the be all end all, and what might appease to one may not appease to another.

Again - just my $0.02. I'm not right or wrong - I have an opinion just like all the judges, coaches, athletes, parents, grandparents, goldfish etc. :p

IT depends on getting the right fit and the gusset has to be just right for a biketard to work.
My gymmies loved their biketards before joining team... but they wore them a little loose because they had long torsos and i wanted them to have plenty of growing room.

The longer I am in this sport and the older I get the more I think the rules are a real gender issue.
It's not that I feel female athletes should cover up more, to be honest if it fullfills certain standards the scociety you live in agreed on (and those are not awefully strict in the one I grew up :D) and you feel comfi, cover up however much you want and I'm fine with it.
It's more the notion of rules forcing young ladies to present themselves in front of judges and whoever might be watching in basically nothing more than underwear whether they want to or not. We've grown so used to it, we hardly think about it twice but in all truth there is no real reason for this requirement, not when the boys of the same sport wear lose boxer shorts and leggins.
I personally don't even think there should be a requirement for the shorts and leo to be of the same colour. There are no colour or harmonic requirements for the rest of the leotard so why should there suddenly be some for the shorts?

I know there are already exceptions to this rule but even if you succesfully completed the requirements and bureaucratic procedures to have that exception apply to you/your team I feel like it is still viewed as unprofessional (and in some cases even scored accordingly).
Forcing its athletes to show more skin than strictly necessary should not be what makes up the professionality of a sport.

Just my two cents.

Forgot to add: I personally like the lines of long sleeved leotards but speaking from a point of comfort prefer wearing short sleeved ones. A non-gymnastics friend of mine after being told by me that l/s leos are more common in competition recently pointed out the irony of allowing and even prefering long sleeves but no pants. I think she has a point there.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back