Shorts?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

gymfan4ever95

Coach
Gymnast
Are gymnasts allowed to wear shorts at your gym? We aren't allowed to wear shorts like the Soffee shorts, only the GK and Adidas ones. If you aren't, is there a reason why? I was just curious because I am one of the people that always wears shorts and then I feel self-consious at meets because I am not used to not wearing shorts. Because of this, at practice tomorrow I am making my self go w/o shorts, so maybe I will be more confident in meets. Is anyone else like this?

In my club gym, we aren't allowed to wear shorts. Ever. Which for me is uncomfortable, because leos just tend to give me a wedgie, are to tight here, too baggy there. I just suck it up :rolleyes:

But, in my highschool team practices, you could wear sweatpants if you wanted to. Nobody cares, as long as you wear your leo to the meet. I usually wear a t-shirt over a leo and soffe shorts aswell.

I tend to think that older gymnasts may be more comfortable with shorts on, because they don't want their thighs to look too big, and want to be wearing a little more than a leo whereas younger kids really don't care.

That's just my opinion on the whole thing, but I wish my gym would let me wear shorts...

At our club in the UK we are aloud to wear shorts from the age of 10+;)

and then they say it is up too us if we train in them or not

what i do is a week or soo before competition is i train without

shorts on so it isnt so bad at competition!!!

123gymstar123 xxx

None of our competitive gymnasts are allowed to wear shorts. They deal with it and are quite comfortable in their leos.

Most gymnasts at my gym wear shorts, but I noticed only the ones that or 10-11+. I'm 13, so I don't always care if I wear shorts. Usually, I only wear shorts when my leotard is a bit loose down there so I don't get wedgies. Usually we wear GK shorts, which my gym sells, but some people wear soccer shorts. It doesn't bother me to go w/ out them at meets though, because my competition leo fits perfectly.

I've been at gyms with various dress codes. As a gymnast, one gym said absolutely not. If you had some kind of extenuating circumstance coaches might consider. For example, I was on blood thinners and out of the gym for 3 months. When I was off the blood thinners and allowed to come back I was allowed to wear shorts on bars for extra protection just as a precaution. But that didn't last long as it was just too much of a hassle to remember to bring them, put them on before bars, take them off after. I later switched to a gym that allowed tight fitting shorts but I had gone so long without them I really didn't see the use. I had been wearing just a leo for so long I really didn't care.
However, the gym I currently coach at has NO dress code. Kids can wear whatever they want and it is a pain! I'll have some come in with jeans, baggy shirts, skirts/dresses, sweats, basketball type shorts, shirts that fly up and it just makes it so much harder to spot them. It's fine with pre-schoolers, but some of the pre-team/team kids do it too. So I feel very strongly that gyms need to draw the line somewhere, and if that means no shorts at all it's way better (and safer!) than the anything goes philosophy!

My gym says you can wear shorts but they MUST be spandex. Whether they are from GK or whether they are the crazy patterned longer ones ( www.bskinz.com ) they dont care but they have to be spandex (tight). in the winter spandex leggings from under armour or bskinz etc. are acceptable also.

Are gymnasts allowed to wear shorts at your gym? We aren't allowed to wear shorts like the Soffee shorts, only the GK and Adidas ones. If you aren't, is there a reason why? I was just curious because I am one of the people that always wears shorts and then I feel self-consious at meets because I am not used to not wearing shorts. Because of this, at practice tomorrow I am making my self go w/o shorts, so maybe I will be more confident in meets. Is anyone else like this?

No shorts unless your an older girl who has her period. Also shorts can be worn for climbing the rope. But as a rule its only girls who have "become women" that can wear them all the time. Most don't seem to wear them though

Oh yeah they have to be the GK spandex (velvet) style no loose shorts at all and they can be the longer ones that come to just above the knee.

I am the same way as you. I HAVE to wear shorts or I feel weird, so it's very awkward for me at meets. My coach is very flexible with us, she lets us wear any kind of stretchy shorts we want, but we can't wear pants, except in warm-ups. All the older girls on my team are that way about shorts.

I am the same way as you. I HAVE to wear shorts or I feel weird, so it's very awkward for me at meets. My coach is very flexible with us, she lets us wear any kind of stretchy shorts we want, but we can't wear pants, except in warm-ups. All the older girls on my team are that way about shorts.

That's one of the issues of being allowed to wear shorts at practice. If you get used to not wearing shorts, then its not uncomfortable at a meet.

Our team girls are not allowed to wear any shorts/pants/etc while practicing. I wish the class kids had the same restrictions. It is not fun to try to spot baggy t-shirts that slip and get caught.

We're allowed to wear shorts but only specific gymnastics ones. I never wear shorts lol! I never used to wear them and tried them once and just found them really uncomfy and annoying! I'm perfectly confident in just my leo and find it way more practical. Some of my teammates wear shorts but for a week before a competition we're not allowed to wear shorts so that they get comfortable without them.

Our owner requires the "biker" spandex type shorts for team girls. Especially older ones. We do NOT allow the "tumble" shorts or sofies. They tend to get wrapped around things when kids are doing skills. I know my thumb doesn't like the folded waste band one bit.

We can wear the soffe type shorts as long as they are really tight or gk shorts. I like wearing the gk shorts in practice because I just feel like they give me a little extra protection especially on bars. It doesn't bother me to not wear them at meets because you are on the equipment at the meet for so little time...not like 3 + hours at a time like at practice. Also I think it looks dumb at meets when people pull their leotard down to try to make it look like shorts. Seriously, it looks like they are wearing a diaper.

At practice today I didn't wear shorts. I am never going to wear shorts anymore! After we got off the 1st event, I was already completely comfortable without them...I am so proud of myself! Now hopefully I will be more confident at meets because I won't have to worry about what I look like!

The rule at my gym is that a leotard is required and it is a personal choice whether or not to wear shorts or not. I know most team girls wear shorts and its usually the younger girls that don't. I wear a leotard with the shorts built in not sure of its real name but it does have built in shorts. I am really not a big fan of the ones with the built in shorts but the one I have happens to fit perfect. I am fine with our without shorts but sometimes shorts just make me more comfortable. I happen to be talking to one of the college gymnasts at a meet and some how we got onto the whole shorts or no shorts topic and she told me as long as if you can do the skills and do them safely it shouldn't really matter what you are wearing. Some girls at my gym also wear tight leggings as it gets cold sometimes! :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back