Parents Should I be concerned?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Tralliam

Proud Parent
So we're 3 weeks in after the location and coach change and one week of full effort (my DD actually listened to the Dr. when he said 2 weeks of pretending the cast is still there). I know both gymnast and coach are still learning how to work together but I saw something last night that gave me pause.

The good news is that it appears that only some upper arm strength was lost from the 5 weeks of reduced effort. So its the bars that suffered the most.

She can barely do a pull up, so pullovers have suffered drastically. And her grip strength, which has always been an issue, is pretty weak. So much that she can barely hang for more than 10 seconds, before the break she could last for minutes. Last night they were conditioning on bars (straight hangs, tuck hangs, pull ups, and other things I don't know the technical name for) I noticed from far away that she kept adjusting her grip and was favoring the finger she had broken. It was the right index, so she was gripping mostly on the pinkie side of her hand. At home she told me her wrist was hurting and we had a conversation about her grip and how her changing the grip was probably the cause of the pain. The assistant coach was with her the whole time spotting, helping, supporting during the conditioning, so I asked my DD if she had said anything about her grip. My DD said she hadn't. The AC is very young and not very experienced.

So should I be concerned about not correcting this, secondly should I be concerned about the pain?

if she doesn't have a screw or plate in that finger then no and no are my answers.:)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back