WAG Should I get new grips?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

So I've had a pair of Blue 10.0 Grips for 2 1/2 years I think. I love them, they're super broken in, and I'm used to them. I think they are too small, but I'm hesitant to switch because bigger ones feel different. Thoughts?

Yes, please ask your coach! Generally though, I've heard that you want to replace your grips every 6 months to a year depending on level of use. Please do keep in mind that I'm not a coach and am just speaking from what I've personally been told.

I've always wondered if they should have a spare pair? We have had grips fail at the worst time, and it takes time to order, and break in a new pair. And if they fail they cannot do that event until the new grips arrive. And for boys it is two different sets of grips, for high bar and rings.

According to our coaches, replace every year, if not sooner. I always keep the old ones as our spare pair in our competition bag.

My DD just went through this. She went up almost 2 sizes. Had them for almost 2 years. She was able to break them in pretty easily. Have your Coach size you.

I've always wondered if they should have a spare pair? We have had grips fail at the worst time, and it takes time to order, and break in a new pair. And if they fail they cannot do that event until the new grips arrive. And for boys it is two different sets of grips, for high bar and rings.

Yes. D always has 2 pair of HB grips. Rings do not tend to fail as much so you get more warning when you need new ones. D's main grips just tore, he went to his backups and we immediately ordered a new pair.

Puma Jr just got her first pair about 6 months ago, and last week HC told me I should order a new pair soon. I put it off fow a few days, but now reading this and thinking about how wretched it would be if they broke at a meet, I just now ordered a new pair! Lol! Thanks!

How fast you go through them will depend on the grips themselves, your size, and what kinds of skills you're doing. The bigger you are and the harder you swing, the faster the grips go! But it's important for girls and triply important for boys to make sure the grips you're using fit. Old grips sometimes stretch. It's not a bad idea to have your coach check the fit every six months or so.

Yep, I talked to my son and we ordered another pair as backup also. We discussed the ring grips, but he never rips through those, but both his last two pair of high bar grips he tore between the finger holes and it can take awhile to get new ones. Thanks everyone!

Puma Jr just got her first pair about 6 months ago, and last week HC told me I should order a new pair soon. I put it off fow a few days, but now reading this and thinking about how wretched it would be if they broke at a meet, I just now ordered a new pair! Lol! Thanks!
I am still waiting to find out the "problem" with OG's grips, so I can figure out WHAT to get her. This will be her 5th pair (not counting palm grips)... And she has competed exactly 0 meets with grips, lol.

Hmmm my gym has us keep our grips until they clearly need replacement. I have had the same hot shots for three years and counting. One of my teammates finally broke in her second pair yesterday as hers were ripping. I don't use water on mine, and I heard that water can wear grips out.

Each pair feels different. My daughter got her first pairs, yes plural, I ordered 2, this summer. She is now used to pair one and in 2 meets, early states will be over, time to break in pair number 2.

Plan is to have 2 broken in at the same time, just in case there are issues with one. Lost, broken, whatever. Last thing I need is a grip crisis.

My daughter uses Ginnasta and though they look great and coaches say they are still fine, I usually order her a pair about every 12 months. She then keeps the old pair for backup. She loves Ginnasta, she just switched to regular width after using narrow for forever and used them for all her bar skills the first day. She loves the double buckles.

My daughter uses Ginnasta and though they look great and coaches say they are still fine, I usually order her a pair about every 12 months. She then keeps the old pair for backup. She loves Ginnasta, she just switched to regular width after using narrow for forever and used them for all her bar skills the first day. She loves the double buckles.
This is what Puma Jr has-Ginnasta narrow double buckle. So far so good? I just ordered what HC told me to. Lol

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back