Should I Return to gymnastics??

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

moimoi16

Coach
Recently I have began to really miss doing gymnastics. I quit 4 years ago after an injury and since then have taken up coaching.

I still goof around at the gym, doing old skills, and even go to open gym every once and a while but I really miss the structure of a class, and competing.

The only problem is I am getting pretty old (turning 21 this year), and It would take alot of effort to get my strength and flexibility back. Also, If I began training again, I would be the oldest in the class by 5 years or so.

I'm just having really conflicting feelings about this. What do you all think on my situation? What would you do if you were in my shoes? Do any of you know someone of my age who is still doing gym? Or should I just give up on this idea?

Any thoughts or comments would be greatly appreciated!

It depends what you want to do with it. I was never a competitive gymnast, I did a few years of rec gym as a kid, then nothing for thirty years, then went back to it a year and a half ago at age 43. I can only do basic skills and I'm not very good, but for some reason I love gymnastics and I find it very exciting. I competed at the NZ Masters Games last week in the novice category. If your aim is to continue competing with the younger gymnasts, I have no idea how viable that is, but if not, you may be able to find adult classes and adult competitions. I think you need to sort through your feelings and figure out what it is you are really looking for.

I recently went back after nearly 10 years off from competative gymnastics and a good 6 off from just doing it for fun, I'm nearly 20 and have very little strength and flexibility at the moment because of the illness, but I just enjoy doing it. I'd say give it a go and see how you feel, you might love it, or you might decide that you prefer to stick to coaching :)

Thanks everyone for the advise! It was much appreciated.

For the time being I'm going to stick with open gym, and then this summer I will work on my cardio, strength and flexibility. I will see how I feel come September when the new season begins.

Im glad to hear that I'm not the only one in this situation. Unfortunately where I am from we dont have much offered to adult gymnasts such as competitions and what not. I never was an an amazing gymnast, but I just love the sport and miss it since I had done it for 14 years before quitting and started coaching. It has been a part of my life since I was 3, so I pretty much dont remember a day without it. Hopefully time will help me make the correct decision for myself.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back