Shoulders and handstands on beam

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

nicci1999

Gymnast
So I have quite a conundrum when it comes to handstands on beam. I have sublaxation in my shoulders. I can do a vertical handstand on a 6 inch beam, but when I try and do it on a 4 inch beam, both of my shoulders literally feel as though they have popped out of place, causing both pain and instability on my part. I'm just worried about what this will bring for me when it comes time to start working backwalkovers and later, back handsprings. I can only depend on cartwheels for so long. SO I guess I'm wondering, does anyone else have this problem, how do they deal with it and is there any thing I can do to prevent this from happening? Because other than not being able to do a proper handstand, beam is actually one of my better events, and I don't want to be held back from this

You sound like an adult gymnast. If that is the case, you have more flexibility regarding training skills than if you were working through the JO program. You could work round-offs as a flight skill and insert side handstands into your routine to fulfill handstand requirements. If there's any instability due to your subluxated shoulders, I would try strengthening them because this would minimize or prevent slipping. A PT would be able to give you the best advice there. In the meantime, as long as you aren't competing JO, have fun with skills that work for you and your body.

so there is no confusion, the word is "subluxation". :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back