WAG Skills and Levels

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Canadian_gym_mom

Proud Parent
This is more of a comment than a question.

I was reading the thread below about what skills the girls are training vs. competing. I found a HUGE disparity in the level of skills from event to event compared to what I see here (in my so far limited experience).

For example, someone was training back walkovers on beam (here a skill around level 3 or 4), RO BHS BT (here a level 4 or 5 skill) and flyaways on bars (here a level 6 or 7 skill).

It just struck me as an odd difference. I know that Ontario will be switching to the JO system next year, so just surprised at such a huge difference.

It will be interesting to see what happens next year. Right now girls don't even compete against each other until they are 9. 7 and 8 year olds can compete, but they compete for scores and receive awards based on those scores, not compared to each other.

This is more of a comment than a question.

I was reading the thread below about what skills the girls are training vs. competing. I found a HUGE disparity in the level of skills from event to event compared to what I see here (in my so far limited experience).

For example, someone was training back walkovers on beam (here a skill around level 3 or 4), RO BHS BT (here a level 4 or 5 skill) and flyaways on bars (here a level 6 or 7 skill).

It just struck me as an odd difference. I know that Ontario will be switching to the JO system next year, so just surprised at such a huge difference.

It will be interesting to see what happens next year. Right now girls don't even compete against each other until they are 9. 7 and 8 year olds can compete, but they compete for scores and receive awards based on those scores, not compared to each other.

BWO on beam, RO BHS BT and flyaways are all L6 skills here, so that would be why someone would be training all of those skills at the same time.

Oh I know they are the same level THERE. I was just thinking of how our level are different and the sorts of implications it will mean next year when our province changes everything.

And it strikes me because the back walkover on beam is such a basic introductory skill here. I have seen the US beam routines and they have much more "balance" skills, like the scales and turns and whatnot, compared to here where they start doing walkovers and cartwheels at level 3.

And it's not a criticism whatsoever, obviously you guys are doing something right, hence us switching to your system.

:)

I know I went through the same thoughts a few years back. Things are quite different.

It will be interesting to see how Ontario does using the JO system when the rest of Canada will stick with the CPP. Nationals and Easterns/Westerns will be interesting for sure.

Oh I know they are the same level THERE. I was just thinking of how our level are different and the sorts of implications it will mean next year when our province changes everything.

:)

oh, sorry, LOL. The good thing is that it appears under the changes coming up, there will be more options in the compulsory levels, i.e., BWO or BHS on beam in new L5, for example. Maybe the transition won't be as hard as you think.

This timeline progression sounds way more like the pattern my DD follows naturally (beam skills lead the way, then floor, then bars comes last)...sounds like my DD would fit in much better in Canadian gymnastics...;).

I've been thinking the same thing. Here in Finland we have 5 different competitive levels (B, C, D, E and F). The first three ones are compulsory, E is optional level with A and some B skills required and F is like our national level. But then we have another track which is for those "elite kids".

Well, our level B skills are f.ex a backward roll to push up position, a handstand forward roll, split jumps (both legs), a pull up pullover (high bar), horizontal casts, tap swings, on beam only walks, kicks, turns, jumps, on vault a straight jump onto 60cm mat.

So level B is kind of easy. Then comes a big jump: in level C there is a front handspring on floor, a back walkover, an 180 degree leap, a kip, a back hip circle, a baby giant, casts, tap swings, on beam a handstand, a cartwheel, 180 degree split jumps, leaps, on vault front handspring flat back (blocking is required).

Then level D which is the hardest! On floor a round of back handspring (this is kind of weird because in US you start doing them already in level 4!), a front handspring - front somersault, a back extension roll, a switch split leap, an 180 degree leap, on beam back walkover, a cartwheel - back tuck dismount, a full turn, on bars kips, a free hip circle, a baby giant, a flyaway, on vault front handspring onto resi mat.

So there is always a big jump between levels. There is no way that a level C competing girl could have mastered all the level D skills before moving up. And in here the kids usually repeat all the levels. It's uncommon to see a kid go through compulsories in three years! Most of them start in level B when they are 7 or 8 and move up to optionals by the age 13-14.
But then again, the elite kids are a whole different story. They have to compete levels B-D and get a qualification score and also get Diamond Tested before moving to the elite track. Usually the most talented gymnasts move to the elite track by age 12.

Why is Ontario switching systems?

Ontario already has a different system than the rest of Canada. The current system is more like the JO system, but they are planning to align completely with the US system. What I have heard is to make it easier for cross-border competitions. Each year there is an Ontario team that travels away to represent our province at a meet, and many times it has been to the US. I think they want to increase the numbers of US meets we do, and changing to your system will make it easier.

Though the other provinces also send teams to the US to compete, in Fact Quebec (the French speaking provinces) sends kids all over the world.

All of the Provinces and Territories use the same national system, and that will not change in Ontario either from what I have heard.

The National system offers a separate stream for the more talented gymnasts from age 8 upwards. These kids will continue to be able to compete in the US.

USA teams often come north and compete under our system, they modify routine s a little, it works well.

I am more intrigued to see how gymnasts, and parents, adapt to be compulsories after enjoying a totally optional system. BIg judging and coaching changes will be needed as well

Bogwoppit, I know, and we travel to Gymnix and also have gone out West as well. I was just writing what I have heard to be Gymnastics Ontario's reasons behind switching systems. It would be nice to have a Canada-wide system in place though.

My daughter said that if they start letting 7 and 8 year olds compete for medals she will be mad, lol!

What about 6 year old L4's???? It will be interesting to see if they follow that lead as it will change the whole way devo is run in Ontario.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back