WAG Skipping optional levels

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

E

epicgymnast 2020

I just finished my second season of level 7 this year and I am planning on skipping levels 8 and 9, competing the rest of the season level 10, as well as qualifying elite, and hopefully getting on the national team, I know that I am easily capable of all of this even though it does seem like a lot but I just wanted to know other peoples views on skipping optional levels
any responses would be greatly appreciated

And by the way
if all you have to say is
'oh thats very unlikely I doubt that anyone could do it' etc.
please just don't post it and also
Ariana Agrapides (MG elite) succesfully made this jump

anything but stuff that could come across as rude or offensive

in a form similar people were saying stuff such as
'it is irresponsible of your coach to do let you do this'
I would just not like people to call it irresponsible or something like that

Technically you can't skip the levels, you would need to score out of each one. Every gymnast has a different path in this sport and no one that doesn't know you or your ability can say whether you can do it or not.

Unfortunately, if you ask for people's opinions, you cannot then expect to censor the replies. An opinion is ultimately subjective and if you aren't prepared to allow for subjectivity then maybe don't ask for opinions, but rather phrase your question asking for facts, ie "How many US gymnasts have scored out of Levels 8, 9 and 10 in one season ?

I mean skip by only compete one meet of that level
Scoring out is not the same as skipping. If you compete one meet per level, then you are assuming that you will make your gym's minimum score at each of these levels. If your gym goes by USAG Minimums (34.0 at Level 8 and 34.0 at Level 9), then as long as you get a 34.0 at each level, it sounds like a plan. We don't know you or your abilities, but if you have been uptraining and have the necessary skills, then go for it. This is something you and your coaches will have to decide on. You can't do it without the support of your coaches. In L9 and L10, you have to have connections to get the 10.0 SV, so even if you have the skills individually, you will have to make sure you can do them in combination. I would also pick a floor music that you can use for all 3 levels and just plan your tumbling upgrades to fit. Good luck.

as far as skipping vs. scoring out goes
at my gym, if you are competing a full season of a level, then you need either three 35.0s or one 37.0
but if you are simply competing in one meet to score out then we would just have to meet the usag requirments

as far as skipping vs. scoring out goes
at my gym, if you are competing a full season of a level, then you need either three 35.0s or one 37.0
but if you are simply competing in one meet to score out then we would just have to meet the usag requirments

The jump from 8 to 9 is so big I cannot fathom someone being able to just hit the minimum score at 8 and still be able to score out of 9 that season. At least that is my understanding but I could be wrong.

And by the way

That's interesting though. She didn't compete two seasons of level 7. She did go from 8-10 in the same season (due to her switch recommended by her previous coach who thought she should pursue an elite program) but probably would have done much better in 9 that year so while I'm not personally sure what the reasoning behind it was, I'd just hazard a guess that everyone in her small elite group needed to be in 10 for convenience issues, etc so it worked out that way. She did another full year of 10 much more successfully before qualifying.

Why didn't you compete level 8 this year if you're ready for level 10? I assume like Ari you must have switched gyms to a drastically different program.

As far as how many gymnasts have done this, I don't know of any other stories like Ari's, even with corresponding type gym switches (usually they just sit out the year and train) but her old gym probably could/should have had her at 9 but was just a more conservative program. Maybe Bianca Flohr many years ago...had an interesting path to competition but still quite different from this. She never competed level 4-8 under an old TOPs system and entered as a young level 9.

What does your coach think? Is your coach on board with this plan, and does your coach have experience coaching L10 and Elite gymnasts?

and also Ariana Agrapides (MG elite) succesfully made this jump

Ariana did not make the jump like you seem to think she did. She was in Level 8 for at least 11 months and competed in AT LEAST 2 meets - 11 months apart. She didn't make the USAG Minimum in her first meet. 11 months later, she scored a 38+. Then, 2 months later, she was in Level 10 (after a gym switch from Garden State Gymnastics to MG Elite and a meet / mock meet somewhere to score out of L9). A year after that, she was at JO Nationals as a Level 10.

Just want to make sure you have the facts.

And by the way

Are you at the same skill level/talent level as Ariana Agrapides was? And honestly, if you can only think of 1 person who has done it, that says quite a bit about the likelihood/difficulty of doing it. Going from 7 one year to 10 the next seems highly unlikely.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back