WAG Skipping optional levels

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

if you are that desperate, my profile page has my age

Your grade doesn't equal your age. I teach high school and I have some freshmen who are 16 years old and I have a freshman that is barely 13. That's a big enough difference to possibly color someone's opinion.

And hon, I'm not desperate to know your age. Just trying to give advice that YOU asked for on a public internet board.

Are you at the same skill level/talent level as Ariana Agrapides was? And honestly, if you can only think of 1 person who has done it, that says quite a bit about the likelihood/difficulty of doing it. Going from 7 one year to 10 the next seems highly unlikely.

In another thread she says she doesn't have a "walkover flick" on beam. Terminology that is never used in the US and most successful level 8s have a "double back handspring" series as we put it in the US. So you must have British coaches, and good luck on beam next season!

What does your coach think? Is your coach on board with this plan, and does your coach have experience coaching L10 and Elite gymnasts?
my coaches both support me greatly with this plan, and yes my coaches do have a lot of experience with level 10 and elite gymnasts, one of my coaches, is the former coach of mykayla skinner, so when mykayla comes to visit, she trains with us and my coach coaches her

Are you at the same skill level/talent level as Ariana Agrapides was? And honestly, if you can only think of 1 person who has done it, that says quite a bit about the likelihood/difficulty of doing it. Going from 7 one year to 10 the next seems highly unlikely.
she is not the only person, somebody from Jordyn Weiber's old gym also made this jump, as well as my coach's sister

my coaches both support me greatly with this plan, and yes my coaches do have a lot of experience with level 10 and elite gymnasts, one of my coaches, is the former coach of mykayla skinner, so when mykayla comes to visit, she trains with us and my coach coaches her

Well, your coaches are obviously the most qualified to tell you if this is possible for you. My 9 year old DD is training her walkover flic on beam though, and I know that she is no where near qualified to even dream about L10 beam at this point!

Cool, well if that's true then there's one girl who fits the description you've provided at the only open gym other than Desert Lights that Mykayla seems to have attended. So either that's you and you should be careful about what you put on the internet, or...it's not you. I don't really have a dog in that fight, but gymnastics is a small community and you should be cautious.

Well, your coaches are obviously the most qualified to tell you if this is possible for you. My 9 year old DD is training her walkover flic on beam though, and I know that she is no where near qualified to even dream about L10 beam at this point!

Same for my DD. She's only 9 and on her first year at L7 but I can't imagine her being able to skip to L10 next year. But she's not some little hot shot and certainly not the end all and be all of gymnastics. Lots of people way more talented than her. Sounds like the OP has a much more qualified coaching staff than my DD has access to. That would be vital for such an ambitious plan.

In another thread she says she doesn't have a "walkover flick" on beam. Terminology that is never used in the US and most successful level 8s have a "double back handspring" series as we put it in the US. So you must have British coaches, and good luck on beam next season!
actually I do have american coaches, but we do call some things differently,
for example, we call a bail a shoothalf
a hecht a toeshoot
a 'double backhandspring' as you say, is a flick flick to us

actually I do have american coaches, but we do call some things differently,
for example, we call a bail a shoothalf
a hecht a toeshoot
a 'double backhandspring' as you say, is a flick flick to us

Interesting. Are you sure all your coaches are American? Maybe the owner isn't.

my coaches are the owners
them and their parents were all born in the us
even there great grandparents were

Isn't safe. It's not a sprint. It takes a long time to get the requirements consistent and perfect them. And if you're just going to chuck them and hope for the best, good luck with the injuries you'll sustain. I'm sorry but this is very far fetched.

So, you have very high level coaches with significant experience, and you're asking the opinion of an Internet forum who has only the 10 sentences you've provided as a basis for an opinion? Is there a specific direction you were wanting this discussion to go? Maybe you could steer it a bit and help us out.

And, as was mentioned above, be careful how much information you provide. There are people on here who absolutely, without a doubt, know the coaches you'd be referring to, and, if you have the skills and potential you claim, very likely know who you are.

As to your plan, on,y your coaches can answer your questions, unless you can provide us with video.
Agreed. If you would like to show us a video then we probably would be of more help. Otherwise none of really have any idea of whether you could be capable of this.

I just finished my second season of level 7 this year and I am planning on skipping levels 8 and 9, competing the rest of the season level 10, as well as qualifying elite, and hopefully getting on the national team, I know that I am easily capable of all of this even though it does seem like a lot but I just wanted to know other peoples views on skipping optional levels
any responses would be greatly appreciated

In the end Marta will decide your fate. Not having seen you in camp or any Elite competition or qualifier yet will not work in your favor. You also have a lot of Junior National Team members that will soon be moving up to compete to Senior spots. You do not have to do Level 10 to do Elite. You just have to get Qualifying scores at Compulsory and Optional meets.

...... And honestly, if you can only think of 1 person who has done it, that says quite a bit about the likelihood/difficulty of doing it......

Zipping through L8 - L10 on the way to elite isn't uncommon. These kids are training elite from the beginning of being tagged with the Label "elite potential," and will compete a few times at L9 and 10 but not waste their time with easterns/westerns and JO nationals. It's a very narrow focus that seems to work for those who want nothing less than a spot on the national team.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back