Parents (small brag) Tonight I saw my DD...

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

ChalkBucket may earn a commission through product links on the site.

UnoMas

Proud Parent
...do her KIP for the very first time!:D:D:D

She's been training L5 for a month and a half and having no luck with the darn kip (she's also lost her squat on too). Her hands are TORN up and she had to sit out of bars twice this week due to rips.

Tonight there was a birthday party at the gym and she had settled herself onto one of the bars and was working on her kip and all of a sudden the mom I was talking to said "look! she did it!!" I didn't see it but DD came running over to me jumping up and down and she had the most shocked look on her face. She couldn't believe she had done it!:) Then she went back and did it again and again and again and AGAIN! She must have done it 15 times! After awhile I think she got tired because she couldn't do it anymore but our head coach and one of the other coaches saw her do it so that was good!:)

Just a little brag...I was so relieved to see her get the hang of it. I am sure it will be "lost" and then found a LOT and she still has to get the high bar kip but it felt great to see her do it and she was SO happy!

Thanks for reading!:)

That's awesome!! :) My dd wants to learn her kip, but so far, the coaches have not really concentrated on it-or really introduced it at all. She will try and try by herself, but no one has actually "coached her yet" and she hasn't figured it out on her own. Tell your dd congrats! I think they feel like "real" gymnasts when they get that dreaded kip! lol

The "dreaded kip" is right!:) I swear this huge sense of relief overcame me when I saw her do it...kind of the same way it was when she did her ROBHS(she struggled with this and was the last on her team to get it) back in level 4.
It's always so exciting to move up to a new level and learn new things but also so frustrating to watch them struggle...makes me wish to be back in the "old" level again even though I was sick to death of level 4.
(but now my younger DD is in level 4 so now I am watching HER struggle with that!:rolleyes:) Oh...the fun that is gymnastics!:p

Congratulations. That is big. It's really the first skill that requires a lot of strength and technique and so many struggle with it.

Woohoo!! DD was thrilled that she still had her kip after being off bars for a month due to her wrist injury. It isn't as pretty as it was before, but not bad. :)

Azgymmiemom- DD was never really taught it at her old gym, they worked on it sometimes, but mostly just her trying herself. Once she was coached on HOW, had it broken down into pieces, she got in within a few weeks at her new gym. Of course, she had an amazing bar coach then, too.

Woohoo!! Abby was thrilled that she still had her kip after being off bars for a month due to her wrist injury. It isn't as pretty as it was before, but not bad. :)

That is great that Abby still has that kip! :D We will see if my DD still has it today at practice...I know she is nervous to see if it is still "with" her or not today!:p

Hope it is still there!! DD's came and went for awhile. Before she got hurt, it was mostly there all the time and she could do it with nice straight arms. Hoping she gets it back with straight arms consistently before meet season! :)

Congrats to her that is so awesome. I know exactly how you feel when they get it and keep doing it and doing it and then seem to lose it. My DD does that all the time. My daughter hasn't started working on the kip so reading from all of the people's post looks like it's going to be a tough one.

My daughter hasn't started working on the kip so reading from all of the people's post looks like it's going to be a tough one.

Some kids definitely get it quicker than others. We had one new level 5 get it in ONE DAY of practice. Never tried it before and in one day, she had both kips!:eek: Amazing!!! A couple other new 5's had it within a week.

Update on my DD: after a brief disappearance last night;)...the kip returned tonight!:D She's SO relieved. Now she just needs the high bar kip and she said she was really close to it tonight! (Ok, enough shameless bragging now, off to read some other posts!)

That's great that she got it consistant. It's funny, I was watching some of the level 5's practice them, and even watching it, I was pulling soooo hard for them to get it!! (lol-like us moms struggling in the observation room helps them in some way!!) you can't help it, though! It's just one of those skills you know they want to get with a passion!! Finally, last night MJ said that her coach started doing kips with them (she doesn't have it yet-I feel this one may be elusive for awhile!) and something else she tried to explain to me...something like a cast back hip circle and shoot up to a handstand(?) I didn't see it, so I have really no idea what she is talking about...

update and continuing brag:eek::

DD got in the car after gym tonight and she was so into playing some game on her ipod that she completely forgot to mention to me that she got her high bar kip tonight!:p It was tooo funny she jumped up from the dinner table and said "I forgot I forgot I forgot!!!!! I got my high bar kip tonight!" and she was jumping up and down. I think part of it might have been that we carpool with a friend who has not gotten her kip yet and DD did not want to brag in front of her in the car.:) Which I really am proud of, too!:) Lots of proudness going on here!

Brag ON...that is so cool. I just LOVE the way kids have gymnastic breakthroughs when under no pressure....birthday party or open gym...I think that says a LOT about just relax and it will come in due time..

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back