Parents So many injuries

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

LGnyc

Proud Parent
Is there a point at which you think your child’s body just was not made for this sport and you and your child need to acknowledge that? When is that point? And who decides?

When it comes to a minor child's health and wellness, I think the parents decide, with input/information from the child's coach, doctor, physical therapist etc. as needed. Obviously one would also talk to the child, probably a lot, about what they want, what their expectations and goals are, what modifications might make sense if they really want to stay in gymnastics (XCEL instead of JO, rec instead of competitive, not progressing up levels so fast, not practicing as many hours, whatever.) But having a discussion with a child and respectfully listening to their opinions does not mean the child makes the decisions that impact their health and wellness. This is the responsibility of the parents.

My kid is only in compulsories, so my newbie advice may not be worth much, but I've told DD I'll support her every step of the way as long as the sport continues to be a healthy part of her life, but if there is a risk of long-term physical or mental health damage I'll pull her. If it's an injury that can be reasonably worked through I'd let her continue, but anything that could impact her ability to enjoy running/cycling/hiking/swimming/skiing etc. as an adult would be reason to quit.
Of course, I realize its easy for me to say this now, I'm sure it's hard to know the long-term impact when you are dealing with a variety of different injuries.

I would hope my daughter would know. But as her parent, ultimately with advice from doctors, therapists etc. I would make the decision if need be. Children do not have the ability to see the big picture. And they are going to have to live with their bodies for many more years then they will be gymnasts.

Is there a point at which you think your child’s body just was not made for this sport and you and your child need to acknowledge that? When is that point? And who decides?
It would depend on WHAT the injuries are.
If they are injuries that will heal and NOT cause major problems as an adult, then continue after healing PROPERLY.
If it will impact (more than a little) the gymnast's future ability to live life to the fullest, then after discussing it with doctors, physical therapists, coaches, and the child, it would be a tough decision.
If it will GREATLY impact
the gymnast's future ability to live life to the fullest, then after discussing it with doctors, physical therapists, coaches, and the child... it is time to go.

I have had a bad knee since I was 8. I followed doctor's orders for about 6 weeks. My stepmom never told my dad everything the doctor said, so he unknowingly allowed me to go against doctor's orders (partly because the orders were CRAZY - no running and no sports... ever - not just for a specific length of time). Because of compensating for the bad knee for so long, my other knee is bad too. I have needed new knees for 8-10 years now. I finally have knee braces that are helping until I qualify for new knees (if ever).
If we had known what would happen, I probably wouldn't have played sports AS SOON as I did... and we would have talked to the doctor more to find out exactly what I could do and when ... and followed those recommendations a little closer. ;)

Short answer: Yes, I think so.

It was a near thing for my DD awhile back. Repeated overuse injuries. Thankfully, right when we were on the cusp of "one more and she's done," she stopped getting overuse injuries. We had truly worried that her body just wasn't cut out for the wear and tear.

As far as a kid knowing, I honestly can say I don't fully trust my kid to make the decision on her own. I was a fourteen year old kid injured from a car accident and facing a decision of whether or not to play high school sports a couple of months later. I begged my doctor to sign my release despite his reservations, and he did. While I can't say I fully regret the choice, and there's no way to know how my body would feel today had I not jumped right in to playing two varsity sports, the pain is still real. In hindsight, as an adult, I would have made a different choice.

I knew then that it was probably a bad idea, but lied and said I was fine enough and played anyway. Ended up retiring from both sports during my junior year to finally have surgery. I finally couldn't fake that I was ok anymore.

I don’t know yet if this one is significant or not yet. Her gymnast wrist from the summer seems to be back but whereas bilateral before, this time it is right only. MRI tomorrow but no results til January bc everyone will be on vaca.

The issue is not just injury - it’s this one. Of all the growing overuse issues like severs or jumper’s knee (SLJ) this is the one that can cause real long term damage. Paired with all of the others - mostly breaks - I just wonder if her body can’t take the pounding.

Thank you for all of your insight. More to learn and more still to ponder.

Just a question: Is the amount/type of conditioning sufficient for the gymnastics she is doing? My daughter and many of her teammates had multiple injuries last year. There was a lot of change and inconsistency last year and our girls were definitely not doing proper conditioning. Thankfully, there were many changes made over the summer and into this season. Knock on wood our girls are stronger than ever and no injuries (I hate to even say that out loud).

What @Mish said is important. It was our PT’s opinion that it was likely that my DD’s overuse injuries were due to over/under training in different muscle groups. In all honesty, while DD never had another lower body overuse injury after, there was a gym switch that occurred. That said, there’s no way to know for certain what would have happened if DD hadn’t switched. Perhaps she still would have been fine.

Well, it is hard to say at what point you step in but as a parent, it is our obligation to protect our kids first and foremost.
As has been said, if it is an injury (or several) that will not have any lasting effects on their bodies down the line... recover and keep going. If it is an injury that is likely to give them lifelong issues, then it is our job to step in and say no more. Kids/teens/young adults lack the experience and won't truly understand(or care, after all gym is their life!) how it may impact them later. We know though, how it feels to have arthritis at a young age because of injuries and overuse earlier, to have sore backs and bum knees, to live every day in some amount of pain....
so, sprains and "stuff" that is 100% recoverable no worries. If it comes to more serious stuff, it is not worth it. We just had a girl quit today because of an issue that, while treatable and possible to come back from, would have me make that decision as well. No hobby is worth my kid possibly having back issues for life.

Just a question: Is the amount/type of conditioning sufficient for the gymnastics she is doing? My daughter and many of her teammates had multiple injuries last year. There was a lot of change and inconsistency last year and our girls were definitely not doing proper conditioning. Thankfully, there were many changes made over the summer and into this season. Knock on wood our girls are stronger than ever and no injuries (I hate to even say that out loud).

This. I firmly believe mine was injured so much do to poor conditioning. Knowing what I know now I should have pulled her from gym way earlier, next nearest gym is a long drive. But in the end the injuries were too much and I pulled her out. Stress fractures of the spine were the final straw, but I should have seen the light earlier. When 2nd DD started having issues I closed that down way sooner.

What would you consider proper or enough conditioning? Bc our gym does a ton. At least 40 min every practice - she’s there 21 hrs a week. And sometimes two rotations when you add in plyos and active flex. That seems sufficient. And she’s become so strong despite the fact that she has a harder time gaining muscle mass.

I’ve always thought technique played a huge role in injury. Kids doing the same move over and over again but if even one small thing is off mechanically that repetition plays a factor. And I would have no idea if her hands or wrists were properly aligned.

Plus I do think some are just built differently. I’m watching my husband have all sorts of early onset physical issues and I wonder about the genetic aspect of body type. Did she inherit his weaker joints - I know she got his flexibility!

Maybe look at how much rest your child has taken for soft tissue injuries. I have only experienced one break so far with three kids, and the break was my 4 year old. But from what little I understand about it, breaks are fairly straightforward, most of the time, for when training can begin again.

I have learned the hard way to err on the side of more than enough rest when it comes to soft tissue injury. The last time my son injured his knee, the doctor recommended at least 4 weeks out of the gym entirely and reduced activity (walking ok, pt, swimming, bike, but no impact or jumping stuff.) Son actually did about 6 weeks out and when he did go back, it was very, very slowly, (coming to partial practices at first, no big dismounts for a long time, no floor, no vault for a long time. Yes it interrupted his training big time, but it has now been over a year of no knee pain at all, and being a 14 year old, tallish thin boy training optionals, and having had knee issues since he was 11, that is saying something. (Of course now I have to go knock some wood and fast!)

Talk to the coach about how her wrists are aligned. Does she use supports? Maybe the way the support is fitting is throwing her off.

Also I am sure you have considered this, but there is an inherited condition that causes hyper-flexibility and it can cause injury...I do not remember what it is called. Also even without that specific syndrome, I think hyper mobility can cause problems. Sorry I know very little about it, just recently talked to a mom whose kids were great dancers and gymnasts because they were so flexible, but they tended to have joint pain and injured frequently, and finally went to a doctor who saw that the whole family had this syndrome.

For the gymnast wrist in July she was out 10 weeks. The dr was ok at 6-8 but she did not feel pain free so she extended it. I was impressed with her for withstanding the pressure to go back. And then she did a two week phase in on skills and hand pressure. So the whole thing was a solid three months.

What is weird is that she has been utterly fine for two plus months then the pain started again this month in school not even in the gym and only one side. Wondered if a new injury but the pain is in the same place. And X-rays aren’t great - not enough improvement over the six month timeline.

Good questions on the supports. She is wearing for beam and floor/vault. Worth looking at. As for hyper mobility syndrome it is in our family. My son has it but not sure she was officially diagnosed.

I have learned there is no shame in using supports.

Our gym places a high priority on and does a lot of conditioning. And yes strengthening exercises are great. And using tiger paws is not a sign of doing anything wrong. JMO...... They provide added support for a sport where kids wrists take a pounding. The kind of pounding they weren't built for. One 8 week bout of futzing around with gymnast wrist was enough to convince me. Playing Monday morning quarter back I would of gotten them sooner.

Knee and ankle support wouldn't be a bad thing either, if needed.

For the gymnast wrist in July she was out 10 weeks. The dr was ok at 6-8 but she did not feel pain free so she extended it. I was impressed with her for withstanding the pressure to go back. And then she did a two week phase in on skills and hand pressure. So the whole thing was a solid three months.

What is weird is that she has been utterly fine for two plus months then the pain started again this month in school not even in the gym and only one side. Wondered if a new injury but the pain is in the same place. And X-rays aren’t great - not enough improvement over the six month timeline.

Good questions on the supports. She is wearing for beam and floor/vault. Worth looking at. As for hyper mobility syndrome it is in our family. My son has it but not sure she was officially diagnosed.

One side now -- is she training/competing tsuks?

Lots of time spent conditioning is good, but hypermobile kids competing as optionals need to do specific work to strengthen their wrists. She needs to do two things: first and foremost, let the injury heal completely, 100%. Then, when she goes back, she needs to strengthen her wrists. There are a lot of good theraband exercises she can do, and the rice bucket exercises are excellent. It shouldn't be too hard to find either type of exercise with some quick googling, but if you get stuck, remind me and I'll post them. If she doesn't like Tiger Paws for beam, she could try Skidz. A lot of the guys use them on floor, vault, and pommels, including my son. My daughter has found now that when she has a brief flare, bracing when she's out of the gym and especially overnight helps a lot to keep things in check. She hasn't had to take any time off for the last two years.

One side now -- is she training/competing tsuks?

Lots of time spent conditioning is good, but hypermobile kids competing as optionals need to do specific work to strengthen their wrists. She needs to do two things: first and foremost, let the injury heal completely, 100%. Then, when she goes back, she needs to strengthen her wrists. There are a lot of good theraband exercises she can do, and the rice bucket exercises are excellent. It shouldn't be too hard to find either type of exercise with some quick googling, but if you get stuck, remind me and I'll post them. If she doesn't like Tiger Paws for beam, she could try Skidz. A lot of the guys use them on floor, vault, and pommels, including my son. My daughter has found now that when she has a brief flare, bracing when she's out of the gym and especially overnight helps a lot to keep things in check. She hasn't had to take any time off for the last two years.

Not tsuks but yes yurchenkos.

She did rice bucket while injured but frankly had let wrist conditioning go when healthy. Seems like she should just be doing it year round. Her coach wants her to hang her wrists over a counter and lift with a weight or soup can. All good options but need to trigger them.

She loves her Skidz for beam and found the EZwrap for floor and vault even more supportive than Tiger paws.

And I am encouraging her to wear a brace 24/7 to stabilize.

When my dd's wrists were bothering her she did PT for awhile. Once we discovered they were fractured the DR said he thought the PT exercises were making it worse. She needed to rest until they were healed and then do PT. And for always not just until she was better. She still does wrist exercises 3 years later to keep her wrists strong.

I have HMJS and so does one of my daughters. I was constantly injured and taped, and take forever to heal, so I think you’re onto something with some people just being more fragile than others even when they have the same conditioning routines. I’ll have to keep an eye on my younger daughter as she gets older.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back