Parents So proud of DD!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

k2bdeutmeyer

Coach
Proud Parent
I actually got a chance to go in the gym and snap a few pics tonight. DD has come so far in such a short time, it's amazing to me. Every time I look at this pic, I just can't help but smile! June 21_0059 (small).jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Woah....that picture is huge....let me see if I can make it smaller.

Okay, the "attached image" that i can't seem to get rid of is the huge one now. I'm sorry....I can't figure out how to get rid of it!

Took a few tries, but with the advanced editing I managed to delete the huge one. Thanks for the learning experience.

By the way your DD is adorable. Thanks for sharing your proud moment!

Before bedtime, my dd and I saw together and watched the videos you posted in your sig link. All we could say (over and over) was, "Awwww!"
So adorable and lovely she is!

So cute! So what does Level 4 Prep mean? I am all new to this so trying to figure out what all the different levels are, pre-team, etc. mean...just trying to figure out what we are getting ourselves into and what DD might be doing in a year or two :)

Every gym does the progression a little differently and calls the levels before team a variety of different things, so it's hard to compare and gets overwhelming!

DD's program is actually called "TAG" (as in "Talented & Gifted"). Other gyms might call it pre-team, hotshots, developmental, etc. She is actually 1.5yr too young to compete level 4, but is in a class that is working level 4 skills and beyond so they will be ready when it's time. Our gym doesn't compete anything below level 4.

Hope that helps!

Thanks, it does. It doesn't seem like they have a pre-school TAG program, they just move them to "pre-team". DD starts with the Intermediate Girls when the summer session starts in two weeks so I think a lot of my questions will be answered then on how things work in our gym, who else will be in the class, etc. I know the HC said 11 girls were invited to participate so we'll see how many other little ones are in there. Sorry to hijack your thread :)

No worries!!

DD was in a class probably equivalent to your intermediate class for 2 weeks before moving to TAG, which I really believe is like pre-team, but geared more for 5-6yr olds. DD is a full year younger than everyone in the class. The intermediate class was a preschool class called "advanced kindergym", there is also an "intermediate" class for the older girls called just that. Those girls would move to "advanced" or "accelerated" after "intermediate though". The TAG class is reserved for the girls they want to catch at 5-6yr old and move into their fast track.

Wow your gym has so many different levels...which I guess is good, seems to lay things out a little better or maybe they are all just named something different. After the summer classes, my DD goes to Junior Gymnast 2 which they said is pre-team if we decide to go that route, but I have no idea right now what age levels take that class. I'll ask the HC more questions once we get started in the summer classes and see how she does. It's all just so interesting to read about right now. Definitely a huge learning curve and seeing little ones like your DD helps so much.

It's really just 2 different tracks.

Little girls (3-6yr olds) with promise & talent will move from preschool classes (kindergym) to "advanced kindergym" (like an intermediate class). Then, they will move to TAG if they continue to show high levels of talent, work ethic, etc. If they continue to be above average, but not super talented, they would likely be moved to "intermediate" girls when they turn 6yr or so. After roughly a year of TAG, they would be moved to a class called STARS, which is simply a class for 2nd year TAG girls. After a year of STARS they should be of age to compete level 4 and would be moved to team.

Older girls (age 6+) would start in a "beginner" class and then progress (at different rates) through intermediate, advanced/accelerated. If, at that point they are ready for more, they would be moved to level 4.

I've been around gymnastics (as a coach) for over 10yr and I'm still overwhelmed by it all with my own DD. I'm anxious to see where things will go, and I have to constantly remind myself to just let it happen.

It's really just 2 different tracks.

Little girls (3-6yr olds) with promise & talent will move from preschool classes (kindergym) to "advanced kindergym" (like an intermediate class). Then, they will move to TAG if they continue to show high levels of talent, work ethic, etc. If they continue to be above average, but not super talented, they would likely be moved to "intermediate" girls when they turn 6yr or so. After roughly a year of TAG, they would be moved to a class called STARS, which is simply a class for 2nd year TAG girls. After a year of STARS they should be of age to compete level 4 and would be moved to team.

Older girls (age 6+) would start in a "beginner" class and then progress (at different rates) through intermediate, advanced/accelerated. If, at that point they are ready for more, they would be moved to level 4.

I've been around gymnastics (as a coach) for over 10yr and I'm still overwhelmed by it all with my own DD. I'm anxious to see where things will go, and I have to constantly remind myself to just let it happen.

Does the gym actually bill the classes this way to the parents? If you are above average, but not considered supertalented this is where you will go? That would really turn me off as a parent. Who would want to take their kid somewhere that decides early on that they aren't talented enough. It seems discouraging.

Lovely pic!

Oh absolutely not....I'm probably speaking more from a coach's perspective on this. All the classes above beginner/kindergym are invitation only. I'm speculating, from a coach perspective, how they choose who goes where. I'm sure there are exceptions and each kid is looked at individually. I was being a little blunt so as to get my point across as far as what the progression is and that it wasn't as complicated as it sounds.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back