WAG So who is right?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

duyetanh

Proud Parent
Would love to know who owes who a bar of chocolate in our household. Dh says vault is harder on the body because of the push off the board and the landing. I am convinced, from the little I see at practice (and I rarely see either event....I come at the end when conditioning is front and center most days) that actual tumbling is harder because of the landing. I suppose I should say the parts of the body we are discussing are the feet and knees, bahaha.
So who is right? We can't ask my kid because as a rule we do not talk about this stuff with her....she gets irate enough that we can't figure out wth she is doing....
Let us know. Thx. If I owe him it, I am taking a bite out of it and rewrapping it before giving it to him.....:p

Probably vault because most runways (well competition standard) are dead mats vs spring floors. But it really just depends on what you're doing. Yurchenko is also pretty hard on upper body. In general, I'd say vault.

That's an interesting argument!

When vaulting, the gymnast definitely deals with higher speeds because of the run, and the speed can really create a lot of force upon impact with the board, table, and ground. The ground impact is the least intense however. I think the most impact is felt on the board and the table, and since the legs are always stronger than the arms, the wrists end up taking the most punishment on vault. There is also the fact that vault runways are just carpet bonded foam with no springs, so that is something to consider too, especially if the gym does a lot of run training on that floor. But still, the wrists really get punished on vault the most.

Tumbling has its own set of unique issues, too. When compared repetition to repetition, floor has more contact with the legs per turn. For instance, in a round-off - back handspring - back layout, the feet make a considerable impact on the floor three times, whereas in every vault, there are only two leg impacts. Then, if you start adding multiple skill tumbling passes and you get a lot more impacts. Aly Raisman's mount consists of five hard impacts, one soft transition, and one soft landing! That being said, tumbling is not as hard on the wrists as vault. The legs take more of a beating on this apparatus.

Of course there are a ton of other things to consider when comparing these two events.
  • How many reps in a single rotation of each event for each practice?
  • How many different surfaces are used? (rod floor, fast track, air floor, pit tumbling, pit vaulting)
  • How much conditioning of the arms and legs happens at the gym?
  • Are the girls using good, safe, and efficient technique when they vault and tumble?
  • Is the equipment up to date, safe, and of good quality?
It can all come down to the individual gymnast, also. Is a certain girl's body better at taking wrist impacts, or leg impacts. Strength has a huge effect on this.

I think you win!!! ;)

Last edited:
I would actually say it depends on the tumbling skills.
DD had a stress fracture in her back, and was on modified training. As she was working her way back into tumbling, the tumbling was okay, but we had to wait a little longer for vault, due to the impact. But then she sprained her ankle, so she was back to square one - LOL!

Now, that said, her tumbling is just ROBHSBT. FHS vault.

I vote vault is harder.

Floor is springy

Vault table is not

Legs are built for supporting weight

Wrists are not.

DD's ortho said vault as well. We have had two injuries, one elbow and one shoulder both times he mentioned vault was the hardest on the body. Grrrr, I still hope you win.

No don't make her take a side between mom and dad ask her after you decide who's winning

From a gymnast's point of view, tumbling all the way!!! We have a really hard floor at our gym, and doing more than 3-5 flight tumbling passes at a time literally sets off bombs in my ankles. Vault requires a little more endurance and is more tiring, but only temporarily.

It definitely depends on the person and what you're doing but I have to say vault. I don't think I can do more than 5 vaults without my ankles hurting but I can do way more tumbling passes before my ankles start to hurt. My vault is a tsuk and my passes are fhs front layout front tuck and round off full.

Will commenter more later, but vault in question is a fhs or a tsuk....floor tumbling pass is fhs fp.....and I hate that I may owe him chocs....am considering buying hershey special dark because he abhors it....:rolleyes:

well...for DS last year he had to back off on both his Tsuk landing (only did them in the pit except meets...) and his double back and double front work on floor with his ankle issues....as well as all his dismounts from all apparatuses....However, for the boys there is impact on wrists/strain on wrists on multiple events so a little different...in any case, the "big " lower limb injuries seem to come in vault landings once they are flipping and twisting - but the back strain issues for girls on beam might "win" as most common serious issue over all!

It definitely depends on the person and what you're doing but I have to say vault. I don't think I can do more than 5 vaults without my ankles hurting but I can do way more tumbling passes before my ankles start to hurt. My vault is a tsuk and my passes are fhs front layout front tuck and round off full.
Thank you. Argh.

From a gymnast's point of view, tumbling all the way!!! We have a really hard floor at our gym, and doing more than 3-5 flight tumbling passes at a time literally sets off bombs in my ankles. Vault requires a little more endurance and is more tiring, but only temporarily.
I appreciate the answer. :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back