Something I saw that surprised me

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

maryRS

Proud Parent
A week or so ago we went to a college gymnastic meet. We've been to a few and have always enjoyed them. This one was smaller, and one of the colleges was a smaller team, the college itself was not in a big city or anything like that. The team was Div 3. Well, I was really surprised that one or two of their gymnasts basically did a level 5/6 vault and a level 6 skill level bar routine. Floor was a bit bigger but I'd guess it to be level 7/8 skills. I missed beam all together for these girls. That just really surprised me. They did not score big obviously, but I have never seen college girls do anything at that level skill wise. I'm not certain but I think in the past most of the meets we've attended were Div 1 or 2. Is there that much of a difference.

Oh, the other team that competed seemed to do a more standard college level type skills.

A week or so ago we went to a college gymnastic meet. We've been to a few and have always enjoyed them. This one was smaller, and one of the colleges was a smaller team, the college itself was not in a big city or anything like that. The team was Div 3. Well, I was really surprised that one or two of their gymnasts basically did a level 5/6 vault and a level 6 skill level bar routine. Floor was a bit bigger but I'd guess it to be level 7/8 skills. I missed beam all together for these girls. That just really surprised me. They did not score big obviously, but I have never seen college girls do anything at that level skill wise. I'm not certain but I think in the past most of the meets we've attended were Div 1 or 2. Is there that much of a difference.

Oh, the other team that competed seemed to do a more standard college level type skills.

What school was this? I have attended several competitions with D3 schools and usually at the VERY least see level 8 skills. The D3 schools I have researched have mostly level 9 athlete's who at the very least have qualified to their respective Regional Championships.

ETA: There is still a HUGE difference between a team of athlete's performing level 8/9 skills and a team of athlete's performing high level 10/elite skills. The difference is even more stark when a D3 team goes up against a competitive D1 team.

I'd be interested in knowing what school this was as well. There is a really wide range of skills in D3 programs, some who typically only take level 9/10 girls and some who more or less take who they can get. I know that Wilson College, a D3 program, has had girls who competed level 7ish in USAG compete for them, usually with one or two really strong events. But it's a tiny school in a small town and I imagine they have difficulty just fielding a full team- they only have 5 girls on their roster this season. They usually are at the tail end of national college rankings, though.
Like Chalkbowl said, there is a huge difference between the top teams with level 10/elite skills and even teams with lower-ranked level 10 athletes. Just compare the top D1 teams to some of those that are lower ranked.

It was Wilson. The other teams they were up against were most definitely stronger. I hate to write this as I don't wan to put the gymnasts down, I was just very surprised to see that, I thought all college was level 9/10 and elite.
I'd be interested in knowing what school this was as well. There is a really wide range of skills in D3 programs, some who typically only take level 9/10 girls and some who more or less take who they can get. I know that Wilson College, a D3 program, has had girls who competed level 7ish in USAG compete for them, usually with one or two really strong events. But it's a tiny school in a small town and I imagine they have difficulty just fielding a full team- they only have 5 girls on their roster this season. They usually are at the tail end of national college rankings, though.
Like Chalkbowl said, there is a huge difference between the top teams with level 10/elite skills and even teams with lower-ranked level 10 athletes. Just compare the top D1 teams to some of those that are lower ranked.

Wilson tends to be a different story from many college programs, it's been that way for years. If you are unfamiliar with the school, it's a very small (under 1000 undergrads) college for women with very steep tuition. It's liberal arts in nature with a big equestrian program, so if you have a gymnast with a passion for horses, it's a great school! They do have more common majors available, but given it's size and the fact that it's only women, it provides a very different undergrad experience than most other schools with gym teams. But it's a great opportunity for optional level gymnasts who might not have a chance at bigger schools to continue doing gymnastics, they just need to be open to the unique nature of the school.

Wilson tends to be a different story from many college programs, it's been that way for years. If you are unfamiliar with the school, it's a very small (under 1000 undergrads) college for women with very steep tuition. It's liberal arts in nature with a big equestrian program, so if you have a gymnast with a passion for horses, it's a great school! They do have more common majors available, but given it's size and the fact that it's only women, it provides a very different undergrad experience than most other schools with gym teams. But it's a great opportunity for optional level gymnasts who might not have a chance at bigger schools to continue doing gymnastics, they just need to be open to the unique nature of the school.

I wish more colleges had a program like Wilson's. Then girls who, for whatever reason (late start, injury, B-streaming!) do not make it to the higher levels of the sport but still love it could continue with gymnastics through college! Wouldn't that be utopian?

I wish more colleges had a program like Wilson's. Then girls who, for whatever reason (late start, injury, B-streaming!) do not make it to the higher levels of the sport but still love it could continue with gymnastics through college! Wouldn't that be utopian?
More and more colleges are getting club gymnastics teams (NAIGC) that compete amongst each other and are open to all levels of gymnasts, from beginner up to level 9/10 athletes. There isn't scholarship money, but it's an opportunity to remain involved and be a part of something at your school. I'm still a little bitter that none of the schools I attended had teams at the time (one of them does now though).

Ok, that makes sense. My son plays D1 soccer, but many of his former teammates who went on to play in college, some did play D3, but IMO they are very strong soccer players, as strong as my son in some cases, so I was surprised to see this. I hope no one thinks I was trying to speak badly of the gymnasts, actually I thought to myself, hey my daughter may have a chance! I was just surprised.

There used to be a CB member whose daughter ended up at Wilson. I remember she was, I believe, a Level 8 and was doing very well at that level. I don't know if she's still here or not... but I hope she sees this and responds.

The NAIGC program is getting to be pretty big here on the east coast. I know of four of our state colleges who have this program, so I'm hopeful that if it's something my DD wants to continue to do in college, at least that's available to her. Of course, the girls who place in the top places at the National meet are all ex-level 9/10 gymnasts (for the most part.) In fact, one girl who placed in the top at last year's meet, came home from college to attend her club's Level 9 state meet. She took first place AA, but then did not go to Regionals.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back