Anon Struggling with "what are your goals" questions for 9-year old gymnast

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

A

Anonymous (f8be)

Hi all. I am struggling with choosing a new gym for my 9-year old who has had a relatively (?) successful 2 years competing.

Gym 1: newer program, large (over 300 gymnasts on team), super successful and lovely coaches. Trains compulsory in TOPS style (I'm really not sure what that even means) and after a few weeks of trial practices on the level 5 team my daughter is bored out of her mind. When the coach checked in with me and I mentioned my daughter was worried about losing some of her newer skills, I was nicely asked what her goals are - and if it's college, she needs to stay put. "The skills will come back, now we're focusing on strength". This gym is picky about who they will accept on the compulsory/optionals side.

Gym 2: also newer program, much smaller (maybe 50 gymnasts on team), does well competitively but nothing like Gym 1. Placed my daughter on a level 6 team and she'll score out of level 5 this fall. Never asked me about goals, are thrilled to potentially have her, etc. She's enjoyed the trial practices more as it's similar to what she's used to.

Both cost about the same and are about the same hours. Both are about the same drive.

I guess I am struggling because yes, my daughter would love to do college gymnastics - as I think many 9-year olds in the sport say they would. But really, what does she know? Are we really expected to make decisions at 9-years old that will impact a potential athletic career in college? I want her to have fun, continue to love the sport and see where it takes her. We've been told that she has "what it takes" to go far but I am not sure if everyone gets told that.

Since we're changing gyms now I am hoping to find a place with longevity to avoid having to change again. I don't know what seems best. HELP!

If she enjoyed one programme better than the other the choice would be really easy for me. For me 9 is still too young to make choices for any future careers aged 18, too much can happen in between. Assuming that gym 2 offers a safe and supportive environment, I would choose that. Also if she is bored with gym 1, what are the chances she will stick it out until it gets interesting?

How new are these programs? Can you see their history of getting kids to 9 and 10? Do they have many upper level optionals? Do you know anyone at either gym who can share what their experiences with the gym have been like? Gym 2 sounds like a better fit for right now, but you don't want to move her and then find out that gym can't get anyone past level 7 or 8 and you need to move her again in a few years.

TOPS style means lots and lots of conditioning. There’s a fine line between creating really strong gymnasts and boredom/burnout, and you’ll need to figure out where that line is for your child.

Reactions: rd7
Trains compulsory in TOPS style (I'm really not sure what that even means) and after a few weeks of trial practices on the level 5 team my daughter is bored out of her mind. When the coach checked in with me and I mentioned my daughter was worried about losing some of her newer skills, I was nicely asked what her goals are - and if it's college, she needs to stay put. "The skills will come back, now we're focusing on strength". This gym is picky about who they will accept on the compulsory/optionals side.

I would be finding out if this is to do with the time of season/where they feel your daughter is at. There are times of the year where the training is more strength and basics focused.
Equally they may be wanting your daughter to take a step back and re-learn skills correctly from the foundation - if this is the case it should be communicated.

Even in both situations I do usually throw the kids a carrot of trying something harder - especially at the end of the rotation of they have worked hard. I do have a few of those athletes who seem to only be happy flinging themselves around doing the next 'hardest skill' and they are talented enough (and the program small enough) to try and appease a little to keep them.

If they have enough people wanting to join the program, they are less likely to bend slightly to keep your child happy as they will find a talented kid who can put up with the seemingly basic repetitive stuff.

My answer to that type of question at that age would be something along the lines of "maximizing her potential in a safe and supportive manner that works for her and our family." At that age it's too young to worry about things like that (college). Sure, I think everyone that spends a year or two at a moderate level of gymnastics is going to daydream of potential college opportunities, but realistically, there are too many things that have to fall into place to state that's a realistic goal right now. At that age you just want a gym that fits her and your family. That type of environment will maximize her opportunities as she grows and develops.

If you really are set on college being a determining factor, then also consider in your calculations the track record of both gyms, especially their coaches (I emphasize coaches because they do move around and a new gym may have a new coach with tons of college athletes) producing college athletes.

She's 9. I'd let her pick the gym she is happiest and most comfortable with. At that age, gym is usually more about friends, fun, and good relationships with coaches. That is what keeps kids going. If she gets bored and isn't happy, she will just quite. Not knowing why your left your last gym, I would just make sure you aren't walking into a similar situation than you had before.

OP here. To respond to a few of your questions...we are changing gyms due to some coaching changes at the old gym, where we were really happy, but the new coaches have a bizarre (aggressive, using humiliation tactics, etc) style that after only a few practices is was clear that it was not going to work. There was a bit of an exodus as most of the team we were on left.

Both gyms have a few level 9s, only Gym 1 has level 10s. Gym 1 is also working towards creating an Elite program (not that I have any desire to go that route) but they are definitely working to position themselves as a top gym in our city/state.

My daughter would prefer to be on level 6 (Gym 2) but prefers Gym 1 overall, just doesn't want to be on the level 5 team. She's a bright kid but doesn't seem to understand that the extra conditioning/strength training now will lead to more fun later... And, I am sure I'm overanalyzing this decision as I tend to do so on all things, I just don't want to go through this again in a few years. I would really like to find somewhere and stay put for as long as she continues.

IMO, the deciding factors should be safety and fun.

Safety, obviously, is make-or-break. If one gym seems safer than the other, all else is irrelevant.

If both options seem safe, then go with the one where she's having more fun. No matter what the long-term goal is, the current goal is for her to enjoy the sport enough to stick with it.

Since she thought gym 2 was more fun I would pick that one. BUT you mentioned gym 1 had good coaches. If gym 2 has good, kind coaches as well pick that one. Gymnastics should be about fun at that age

If both programs are newer, it’s likely that very few of the upper level optionals at either gym are ‘home-grown.’ I’m all about making sure the gymnasts continue to love the sport and enjoy their journey. While 9 years old is too young to have any idea of what they want their gymnastics future to become, it’s likely a pathway-decision is not too far away. With both options being close, is there one that could limit her possible future aspirations?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back