WAG Specific practice routine

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I went back to gymnastics this year after taking two years off, I'm on my high school team. I want to work on more skills for next high school season, so I go to an adult class 1-2 nights a week. It's mostly like an open gym for adults, with some coaches there to help you if you need it. However, since I took two years off, I don't have all the skills that I used to and I honestly get really bored during the class because I feel like I don't have much to work on because the coaches don't give us specific things to work on and they're usually busy with other people. I also developed some mental blocks last year for things that I can obviously do, but I need someone to stand there, and if I have someone stand there I can do them fine. Those are the skills that I want to work on, but I don't want to seem like the scared kid who always needs someone to stand there, because when I was a cheerleader I always was "that kid" and my coaches literally hated me and got sick of standing there for me. I feel like I could at least benefit from working on SOMETHING, and eventually working my courage back up to those skills, but I get bored because I don't know WHAT to work on. Can anyone just give me a general idea of what I should work on? Not like based on my difficulty level, but I need some motivation to work on harder skills, and I get bored doing the easier skills. For example, do 5 easy jumps on beam, move on to tumbling, etc. Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks so much to anyone who can help!

I would start easy the ones you can slready do perfectly and then gradually do more difficult skills . If you dont know what skills and the coach is with someone else just politly go over and ask for something to work tell her/him you dont know what to do and i am sure they will anwser you.

You need to write down all the skills you have and also which of those needs work.
Work out what skills you have with a spot and which of those you want to improve.
work out how much gym time you have and how long you have at each apparatus and then break that down to the skills you want to work on in that area.
Put in a couple of skills that you have but need improving and say 1 skill you want the coach to help you with. (depending on amount of time you will have, and how much coach time you can expect to get).
Do this before each gym session so you know what you are meant to be doing. (this is also a motivator as you will be able to see where you have improved as well).
Use your gym time properly not just wandering around not knowing what to do.
When you are getting the new skill speak to the coach and ask what they recommend you work on next.

Do you have routines for your HS team? Are there any skills in that that you need to improve? Skills in the next level up that you need to attain?

Write out a time schedule based on the amount of time you have...

2 Hours

6:00 - 6:15 Warm-up
6:15 - 6:45 Bars
6:45 - 7:15 Beam
7:15 - 7:45 Floor & Vault
7:45 - 8:00 Hard stretch and cool down

Once you have done that...sub divide each event into pieces...

Beam

5 minute walking and kicking complex
10 minutes leaps...jumps...turns
15 minutes flight and dismounts

You must do strength...if you don't know what to do at practice...immediately start doing strength until you think of something to do. Alternate strength exercises...abs...back...arms...legs. If you don't have enough time to do strength...just do it on the days that you do not have practice. Go to a local park if you do not have a bar to do pull-ups and leg lifts on.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back