Off Topic Storms

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

GymBee97

Proud Parent
Holy cow 2 feet of snow expected to fall fri - sat. and my DD is supposed to have a meet Sat at 10 am. Gym says unless a state of emergency is declaired the meet goes on!! Where we are that might not get a state of emergency it might not even get a snow day from school. Don't know if I'm going to take her or not I guess I'll have to wait and see what the roads look like. She's going to be very upset If I don't get her there as she has been plagued with injuries and has yet to qualify for states. I only thank God that the gym where the meet is, is only about 15 min away in good weather. If the roads are clear it won't take longer thatn 30 in snow.

But seriously here who else's gym would still have the meet go on with a definite foot coming and predictions of 26 inches of snow fall and power outages for Fri - Sat.:confused:

I hear you!! We had this situation last year with the big invitational DD's gym hosts...the show went on!! I hope the storm is not as bad as they are saying!!! We are happy not to have a meet this weekend...we'll just miss 2 gym practices for both my gymmies, and a basketball game.

well, where I live, a foot of snow would shut everything down for a week or more. But we go skiing in WY regularly and out there, I'd still get up and drive the next morning if we had a foot of snow in the evening. the difference is that WY deals with the snow and here they just have no way of handling it. If you are in an area that will deal with it (or most likely will) then I can understand how the coach would say the meet would go on. If school wouldn't be cancelled for it then I think it is reasonable for the coach not to cancel.

For important business meetings there have been times that I do my travel a day early if the forecast is calling for a lot of snow, just so that I can be sure to get there. Is there a hotel you could stay at that is close to the gym? If the meet is really important to your DD that might be an option worth considering...

well, where I live, a foot of snow would shut everything down for a week or more. ..

Where I live, an INCH of make shuts down everything! No joking here...

OP and others in the storm path this weekend - stay safe.

Sent from my ADR6400L using ChalkBucket mobile app

We are expecting up to two feet here! I have a meet Saturday as well. Hopefully if the snow is too bad it will just be postponed.

Yeah, NOT looking forward to this, but it could be worse. Really, there are worse places to live in the U.S. - I grew up in an area where it snows like 9 months of the year! (And I rarely missed gym for it!). Luckily, my team has some down time right now, so thankfully no upcoming meets or anything to worry about. Hopefully it wont be as bad as they're saying, and even if it is, it could be worse. I'm just really hoping we dont lose power. I had enough dealing with that back in October/early November!

Meets go on because the gym has already spent the money on awards, gifts, concessions, the venue & equipment rental (if outside facility) the judges, etc. If the meet is cancelled, they would have to refund everyone's money and they would loose a lot of money. On the other hand, if they still hold the meet and gymnasts can't get there, then they just scratch and the gym is not required to refund their entry fee.

Lots of meets around here, luckily we don't have one! Practice cancelled Friday and Saturday though. Dd says she'll be leading the family in a workout tomorrow instead (uh, oh). If you live anywhere near me, the hype is so huge I can't imagine they *won't* declare a state of emergency. I think it's a little crazy how everything is cancelled when not a flake has fallen yet!

I'm just relieved to have the weekend off. I'm a nurse and have to go to work no matter what the weather is.

Stay safe everyone!

I was just thinking that the Level 4s have States this weekend in NJ. Wonder how that is going to happen. Stay safe everyone especially those in New England.

Just depends on what you're used to. Around here, a tropical storm is too mild for anyone to close up (except the schools, who are very cautious). We've taken DD to practice in tropical storms, and I don't think there was low attendance that day, so it didn't alarm anyone else either.

Well meet for Sat sessions cancelled (Yippie that was DD's session day) but they are still going to do Sunday at this time. Our gym cancelled practice tonight (I wasn't taking DD anyway with the snow they predict at that time).

so its popcorn and hot chocolate by candle light (im sure we will loose our power with the strong winds predicted).

Just about all the schools in my state and the surounding states are closed today and rigth now there is barely a dusting on the roads they could have gone with only 45 min that would have been left in the day. With this area being a snow area we are use to big storms so I know the roads will be cleared by end of day Saturday and If we loose power depending on how much of the state is out should be back by Sunday. I have to say though I have been with out power (which means no heat, water, light etc) for a good week before.

My son is due to fly to New York next week with school. I'm trying to convince him that plimsols/canvas pumps (his only footware of choice) wont cut it, so far unsuccessfully - yikes!!

buy him some hiking boots all boys like those (at least around here they do) He will have wet cold feet if that is his shoe of choice.

Oh, if only it were that simple!! He is 18 and thinks himself way to cool for school...I am seriously losing sleep over this now and we have rowed about it too many times.

He has stated that he would rather be dead than be seen in either hiking boots or snow boots and told me that the very thought was "disgusting". I told him, no sensible shoes and I wasn't handing over his passport so he said ok he'd rather not go than look like an idiot!

Well he's going to look like an idiot when his feet turn blue and he can't stop shivering, but he is a full grown adult now and I've decided for the sake of my blood pressure that he's going to have to learn the hard way.

Can't switch off the mum worry though when I look at the pictures on the news :rolleyes:

Stupid thing is, we live in one of the highest villages in the UK - relatively (compared to remote places in the US) remote and we get a fair deal of snow and miserable weather. He's not some city kid who doesn't know how to dress for the elements, he was raised walking the hills - I despair!!

He's 18!! Well he is a grown up (I'm sure that is what he thinks). Seriously he has to suffer to see he needs to listen. Once he gets here he will see EVERYONE is wearing some type of boot so give him some extra money and tell him its for the boots he will need to buy once he gets here.

I don't know any kid in the NorthEast here in the US that doesn't own boots or hiking boots.

I don't think your area gets the snow we get here in the Northeast - overnight we just had a blizzard with 2 feet + snow falling in one night. I've been to the UK and its just not the same.

Agreed. It is the norm around here (northeast) to walk around all winter in some sort of boot (snow, hiking, ugg-style) all winter, even when it's not that cold. It's just the way it's done, unless you're dressing up or going out for a run. Of course in the city it could be different...

FYI, it is supposed to be very rainy later this week in the NYC area. Melting snow combined with drenching rains makes for puddles in NYC that you could use a canoe to get through! some type of boot and a water resistant coat will be in order! Canvas shoes will be crazy. No one wears those here at this time of year!

Oh I hear you all.

From what I have seen and know of teenagers in the US and the UK they are a walking talking embodiment of the cultural differences in concentrate form!

You go to any part of the UK in the evening- whether is be several degrees below zero, snowing, pouring down or whatever, and most of the teenage boys and young men will be standing around in t-shirt sleeves, no coat and wearing plimsols. It's just the way it is and it was when I was a kid - I remember too, clearly refusing to take my coat to school and standing at the bus stop in the snow trying to look warm. Don't ask me???!!!

I wasn't trying to get in to a snow contest and I am sure that we get nothing like you do in parts of the states (although I have been to the US several times and it was sunny, so I don't now what all the fuss is about ;)). In other parts of the UK, heavy snow is a rarity, but here it isn't - 4-5 foot drifts across the lanes are not unusual, we get power cuts which can last a few days and the winter before last the school was closed for 4 weeks. I'm just saying so that you understand he is not someone unacustomed to what deep snow looks like!

The other mums are saying the same things. Only the girls have made agreed to compromise and wear Uggs.

Good idea to give him extra money for boots, but fully expect it to come back...

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back