Switching programs.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

My gym has always done a unique gymnastics program. It's AGA,a very relaxed competitive program. Gymnastics start off with their own individiual routines, and are put into levels based on scores, not skills. I just completed my fourth season and made it up to "Senior 10," (the levels go jr 1-10 then sr 7-10, then pre-elite, jr elite, sr elite) but if I was in USAG I'd be a level 7 at best, but probably a level 6.
So a little back story before I get to the main issue:
2 years ago, the original owner/team coach retired. He sold the gym to a cheer gym, but the gymnastics program was allowed to stay. We got a new absolutely amazing coach, and kept one of the old ones. This year we tried to have one USAG team, but keep the AGA team for all that wanted too. It didn't really work. At the beginning of the season, our coach was the one to register us for meets, but he was too late register us for one of the meets because he is really busy. He was coaching 3 teams at the time. AGA, USAG, and a high school team. So that job was handed to our receptionist. We also have a boys team (USAG) and she handled them as well.
After our competition ended, our reception decided to throw it out there that we should switch to USAG, because it is much easier to register for USAG. She knows nothing about USAG/AGA as she has only been in a cheerleading environment.
Then our owner(cheerleading coach) who also has never really been in our program started to consider it. He used to be a USAG coach, but he doesn't know much about AGA. He went to a total of 1/2 of a session at our state meet. No more.
So then a coach that helped coach the team for a total of 4 practices, went out to say he hated AGA, when he has also never been to an AGA meet, never coached an AGA team besides our 4 practices, and he has the right to say he hates it when our entire team doesn't want to switch.
So then our coach, somebody I fully trust and look up to, told some parents he doesn't want to coach USAG because he'd have to be much harder on us. But then, whenever the other coach said he hated AGA, our coach said that he hated it too.
We don't know which side he actually is on, and we don't know what to do.
Me and my teammates/ their parents are very passionate about staying in AGA. The parents are having a meeting on Tuesday, about this, but we don't know how open the option is.
Sorry if that was hard to follow, but I don't know what to do. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

How many of there are you who want to stay as AGA and not move to USAG?

As a business, the gym you train at is most likely trying to make as much profit as possible, that is; if it's anything like the numerous other gyms in my area. All gyms here are struggling and making sacrifices to stay out of the red.

With that being said, I don't know how successful your club is - however if it is also on the border then YOU might have a good shot.

If you make it clear to the HC/Owner that you and your teammates won't compete/train USAG and are not willing to stay if the gym switches from AGA, I doubt the gym will switch in fear of losing you and your teammates as paying customers.

There are alot of factors in this - how well is the gym doing with its cheerleading classes? How big of a portion is AGA as opposed to all of the other sources of income?

Conclusion:

If there are enough girls who are not willing to switch from AGA to USAG, then the gym will probably not switch the program on you due to profit loss - especially in this economy.

Also. Your coach who you absolutely love and adore also sounds, from what you've said, like a people pleaser. Nothing wrong with that. But if someone else voices an opinion, they'll back them up and might not actually mean what they say - they say it just so no hard feelings erupt over nothing.

I think a good first step, before using the economy to your advantage, would be for you, your teammates and your parents to talk to your coach (without the assistant coach present) about your concerns.

Good luck :D

Our gymnastics program has been kept quite small because the cheerleaders have basically taken over. In our program we are actually quite successful. We won one of the categories at state.
Our gymnastics team has about 11 teammates, not much at all, but all of them want to stay in AGA. So do all of their parents. I know of at least 4 gymnasts that are already looking for other gyms in case they do switch. 4 might not seem like a lot, but with how little our team is, it is quite big.
Another thing we were talking about at a team party, was the fact we are the only AGA gym in an hour radius. Our gym is the place to go, especially for teen gymnasts that don't want to spend all their time in the gym.
The thing that made me really mad, was the fact that our receptionist wanted to switch because it would save a couple hours from her time, when she spends at least 3 times as much of her team for cheerleading.

You have a tough situation, I didn't realize it's basically 11 gymnasts (Unless I misunderstood this?) vs 200+ cheerleaders.

I would suggest on that meeting on Tuesday bring in the coach you trust and have your parents be straightforward in letting him know that they're considering leaving if the gym switches to USAG.

Be careful however, they could counter with the argument that you are luck they even let you stay in any gymnastics program at all as opposed to shutting down the gym program in way for more cheerleading/tumbling classes.

Either way, I wish you luck.

There are plenty more gymnasts at lower levels, just 11 on team. And yes, about 200 cheerleaders. Its just that they would be losing a lot of income without the gymnasts, because we do pay quite a lot. Plus our gymnastics team is more successful than their cheerleading teams who do tend to place lower, and its not like there's many more cheerleaders/tumblers just itching to make it into the gym. Our tumbling classes are actually quite sparce, and this year they had to eliminate a team because not enough cheerleaders tried out.
Thanks for all of your advice.

Coach.Simon has given you some really good advise. One thing to keep in mind is that if you are going to play the "it's AGA or we're gone card" than you have to be prepared for them to say "ok bye." Are you willing to then compete USAG at a nearby gym or take the hour+ commute to another AGA gym?

If you all really want to stay with AGA than the team and parents need to express that and back it up with information about what AGA is really all about. Perhaps you can show the pros and cons of AGA versus USAG. Also if the issues are basically clerical issues then perhaps some of the parents could help out with the paperwork.

As the parent of a current AGA, former USAG L5 gymnast I totally understand your position. Both my dd and I prefer AGA and she would pick AGA over USAG compulsory anyday.

Well I think you and parents need to wait until the meeting to get all the facts. Then listen to what they are offering and see what would be best for you. In the end a gym is a business and they will do what will get the business the most money. Yes it comes down to money when a business makes a decision. If the current program is profitable and the coaching staff wants to do it then your golden otherwise prepare for a change either at your gym or prepare to change gyms. Not what you want to hear but the decision the gym makes will be a business decision not a what do 11 kids want.

Our gym decided to have both AGA and USAG for at least the next year. People who have competed AGA the past year can choose AGA or USAG, and all new girls will be put into USAG. They plan to remove AGA soon, but many girls have been in AGA for 3+ years, and more than half of the team will be going into high school the year after.

So once in High School you guys will stop going to the gym? or will you continue with USAG?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News