Parents Taping training technique?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

ollieblueeyes

Proud Parent
Yesterday DD mentioned that her legs were taped together for preacticing standing BHS. Is this a common practice? it seemed a bit odd to me!

I have seen the kids hold a beanbag or flag between their knees or feet to teach them to keep them together, but I have not seen taping.

I'd guess it wasn't tightly taped, and was such that a little tugging would pull the tape off. The idea being that she had a goal of not pulling the tape off while doing her BHS. Probably nowhere near enough tape to prevent her from easily pulling it off. Otherwise, she could fall or get hurt.

In my most humble opinion, it is a waste of time. The only way kids learn to hold their legs together is to use and feel their muscles working to keep their legs together. That's why things like bean bags and sheets of paper work.

yup, our gym uses what look like sponges. Don't really know if that is what they are, they are out in the gym behind the window so can't tell for sure. But they use them a lot on bars as well as tumbling and sometimes even on beam.

They do also use the rubber bands some time, but mostly to keep their arms by their ears. Not sure if that is ok or not.

I also saw in the TOPS camp photos on USAG website that they look like they have bands around their legs and are doing standing back handsprings. Did you have kids go to TOPS camp? Maybe they learned it there?

USA Gymnastics | Dec. 1-2, 2012 - National TOPs Training Camp

Who am I and what do I know :)

bands and neck braces work better. tape not so much.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back