Team girl moving

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

One of my oldest team girls is going to move next fall to a bigger city in the southern Finland. This town where we live is very small and the gym club is small as well. My team girls practice only two times a week, 2 hours at the time. This girls, let's say her name is Maria, is very talented and has done great at competitions even if we practice so little and don't have proper equipment etc. Gymnastics is very cheap here but in the souther Finland it really isn't. I'm pretty sure it's as expensive there as in the USA...

Well, I promised to Maria's parents to be in touch with some clubs from that big city where she's going to move. I sent some emails, told how old Maria is and in what level she has competed. Yesterday I got an answer. One very nice coach sent me an email and told they have a perfect group for Maria there. There is a group of eight girls in the big and appreciated club and they could take my Maria also. The coach told me they practice 4 days a week, 10 hours total. It would be a HUGE jump for Maria who has only practised 4 hours a week. I'm sure she would be fine but her parents totally won't. I already told them that there is a coach who is willing to start coaching Maria but they said it's not going to happen because of the hours and the seriousment. And I'm sure that the costs would be a one factor also (they have no clue about the costs yet and I'm afraid to tell...). BUT I'm very sorry about Maria if she has to move town, leave her friends and school and ALSO give up gymnastics just because of her parents. For her that club would be a fantastic opportunity to become a very great gymnast (if she has done so well here, what could she reach there?!)

What should I say to the parents? Is there any "miracle words" that could change their minds?

there really isn't anything you can say or do. Maybe your friend can convince her parents to just go visit the gym and see what it looks like. Maybe when they see the sparkle in her eyes, they'll change their mind.

It's really going to be up to your friend and her parents. As much as you may want to help, and you did lots of research for her, there's nothing you can do but make sure that you guys stay friends.

10 hours is a very small amount for a competitive gymnast. In Australia 10 hours is average for a level 3. Why not let her know what a normal gym schedule is like.

I'm Maria's current coach, not a friend of the family actually. And I do know that gymnasts practice a lot more usually than in here but the parents don't understand why should. Most of my team girls parents think that 4 hours is a lot (because many kids have other hobbies too) Life in here on the country side is very different to the life in the southern cities. In here competitive gymnastics is a new and small thing and many kids prefere sports like icehockey, skiing, soccer etc that are just for fun and practises are organized by volunteer coaches, money is raised by volunteer parents....

I'm afraid they'll notice the difference too late and then the "train has already gone". I also think they will not go and check the club before moving because the city is 600 km from here.

You could ask, if the club has also a semicompetitive (ns. harrastekilparyhmä) team. These semicompetitive teams practice usually 3 times a week and it not so serious if you sometimes miss a practice. At least the the club where my kids practice in Finland (one of the biggest in Southern Finland) has both competitive (and very ambitious) teams and also these semicompetitive teams for those who want to practice less (and are not so ambitous). The girls in the semicompetitive teams are usually very talented but want to have other hobbies and activities as well. So maybe you could check this option once more :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back