WAG Team Totals at State Meets

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Empowered

Proud Parent
I have a question about how team totals are calculated at a State meet when there is a TIE between gymnasts. In our state for the team it is the top four AA scores, with the top 3 scores per event to create the team total.

It was my understanding that if there was a tie between gymnasts (2 gymnasts have the same AA score for the 4th spot), that the gymnast who benefited the team most would be used to create the team total.

Following a meet this weekend, I see that a gym had 2 gymnasts tie with an AA score and for the team total they used the girl that gave them a lower team total and it cost this gym a first place banner.

Is there some other tie breaker that is used as opposed to what gives the gym the better score?

hmm, interesting way to figure team scores. In our state it is the top 3 individual event scores across the who team. you could theoretically have 12 girls contributing to the team score, though in reality it is usually only 4-6 girls).

as for your situation, they likely took the girl who beat the tie (whoever got the highest individual event score) because even though both girls may have been awarded 4th place medals, the one with the highest individual event score is technically the 4th place winner.

Thanks gymgal. I am guessing that's what happened. I don't like the method either... But they don't give me a vote. Lol

I've never really encountered this method so I'm not sure. Usually they just take the top 3 or 4 event scores. However, I did find that SoCal created a rule aimed at limiting sandbagging so maybe this situation could have been due to that.

New Team Ruling from So Cal State Committee
June 2010
State Board policy
The State Committee has spent many hours debating the issue of diversity on the award stand, the amount of awards given out and fairness in competition. In the past season we have had a number of gymnasts scoring an outstanding All Around of 37.00 and above. We have fielded many complaints from clubs, coaches and parents regarding the fairness of these extraordinary athletes competing with the novice competitor.

We have used various methods to even the playing field, with the open versus novice divisions, the platinum division and then last year the splitting of the State into two meets. Each of these solutions has brought positive results but has not solved the issue that some call sandbagging. That is, athletes repeating a level two or more seasons in a row, with outstanding results.

The State Committee has voted on a new resolution to ease the fairness issue.

Any athlete, levels 4 to 7, that scores 37.00 points or higher All Around in the previous years State Championships, will not be eligible to participate in any team scores for the current season, if she is repeating the level. This rule will apply at all Prelims, Invitational's, Sectionals and State Championships.

I assume level 10s are excepted!

I now officially am in love with So Cal! They did the right thing, and because of this more gymnasts will learn real gymnastics, and more coaches will have to actually teach them something!

THat is a great rule! Sometimes gymnasts can score really well at a level but may need to repeat due to fear issues or difficulty with a particular skill in the next level, so it doesn't prevent gymnasts from repeating a level when needed, but I love that clubs can't hold them back just to help their team score. I also like that it is just L4-7, as optionals can be so different.

Child with the single highest score breaks tie, same way if two teams tie, single highest score breaks the tie.

Oh, I missed that 4-7. I assumed it was just compulsories but didn't notice where that clause was. I think it is a good idea, it allows repeating but doesn't "encourage" it.

=

so people just hold kids back an extra year prior to competing instead, or they spend 2 years in 4 then go 5 and so on, There is no solution, so I say let everyone play what they want. Bottom line is, you are either building your own kids or your not.

It makes repeating 2 or 3 times much less attractive. That is a good thing for the sandbaggers. At least they are trying to progress the system. After all the worst thing about the sandbagging idea is you probably lose some very talented kids through boredom.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back