WAG Teenage Level 2?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnast_Tor

Gymnast
Hi! I am a Level 2, hopefully a level 3 soon, but I am 16 years old. I feel really embarrassed about my age and height, because the group I'm in (9+ years old) are like 4'10" and shorter. Whenever we warm up, I feel really embarrassed. The team girls warm up at the same time on the other floor right next to us, and I feel really sad, because all of them are my age and older, and I feel embarrassed to run beside them.

I did gymnastics at age 5 and was a level 2, but my parents didn't want me competing at a young age, so I had to quit. I absolutely LOVE LOVE LOVE gymnastics, and want to compete sooooooooo stinkin' bad, but I am graduating in 2 1/2 years, and I feel like I won't be able to! If I do, will I be competing with the little ones? I hope not! My coaches are strict about moving up levels. They won't move you up immediately, instead they put a star by your name on the roll, and then maybe 2 weeks later you can move up or something.

All I want in my high school years is to be a team girl. I want to go to meets. I want to compete and win medals with my team. I want to be friends with these girls. (Most of them are super nice! They've helped me with my first rips and some skills.) My goal is to be a Level 8, but everyone keeps saying that my goal is unrealistic and will never happen. There are no other gyms near me. This is the only one within a 60 mile radius of my town. I feel like I was born for the sport and I love it soooo much! Any advice? (Sorry for rambling, haha.)

look, at your age, I would put you at xcel , you are too old to waste time doing headstands and forward rolls on beam. That being said, I am sure you are a great role model for all of your teammates. Your passion for the sport should be a great example to all who strive to excel in gym.

Can you "test out" to a higher level? That might be something to try and work for... I've always considered older girls as being fortunate to be able to do gymnastics; however, starting late in the game creates an insurmountable workload that is difficult to overcome. For instance, getting the flexibility you need, doing the little things like pointing the toes, and being able to safely do simple things like Back Handsprings without damaging your wrists (or breaking your neck). I'm not trying to be a kill-joy, but you would have to dedicate your life for the next few years to your physical conditioning, flexibility, study, and living gymnastics - are you in a position to be able do that (there could be more - I'm not a coach, just a dad with one DD)? I've seen girls come in at 11 years old and do well enough, but they had many trials to work through. Hoping the best for you!

I know a man who is now one of the best judges for Men's gymnastics that started in the sport at age 17 and went on to compete at a high level.
If you enjoy the work involved, just keep plugging at it and see where it leads.

Who keeps saying your goal is unrealistic? It's mostly only unrealistic if you don't have money for coaching, don't have time to practice, etc. It would be unrealistic for it to happen in 2.5 years maybe ... heard of a gap year or years? Do you have interest in coaching? Perhaps you will be able to coach in the daytime and practice at night when you finish high school. At any rate ... you only live once. I encourage you to ask your gym to start upping your hours saying your practical goal is not any particular level but as far as you can go. You should begin working your way towards the same kind of hours as a girl your age typically might practice (20) even though you may only be a level 3 or 4 or whatever. (Nobody has to test out of anything until new L4. But bear in mind you can't move into a practice group where they would have to spend an unusual amount of time on you relative to the other girls. Privates? or perhaps they have a homeschool group during the day where the coach/girl ratio is much lower?)

you see, my gym doesn't have xcel. I am already flexible, because I have full splits on all 3 sides and a very flexible back. I have the strength to do 3 pull ups on the high bar, but we don't have much time a week to go to bars a lot. The girls in my class are very nice and are 9-13 y/o, but I reallllllly want to be in the upper levels. I wish one of my coaches would help me get there, but I guess its impossible to up the hours until I get to level 3 (2 hours a week) and 4 (3 hours). Private coaching is 20 bucks for 30 minutes at my gym. :/ I AM willing to put in all the hours I need to get to those levels. I always say that one hour is never enough! I love the gym and would be in HEAVEN if I went there like 3-4 days a week!

Don't worry about your age and team mates age, remember your aim is to be able to do something you love.
Don't just focus on getting to level 8 in a short amount of time, even if you had years it might not happen. Just do your best and love what you are doing.
It sounds like you will move up really quickly with your skills and enthusiasm. Do speak to the coach about your passion and goals and they may be able to help you to move a bit quicker.

Enjoy your gymnastics and don't give up over little things and then regret it again! Even if you have to stop when you finish high school and you only made level 6 say, you made Level 6!! You learnt x,y,z skills. You were a gymnast and competed and loved it.

I think it's awesome that you have found the sport that you love, and have so much enthusiasm and determination! I agree that you should talk to your coach about your goals. Don't ever feel embarrassed about being the oldest in the group. You are out there doing it, which is more than a lot pf people. Focus on what you need to do each training session and don't worry about what other people are doing or thinking. And stick around Chalk Bucket. You will find lots of encouragement and support here!

If you are 16, get a job at the gym as a coach. Start with preschool, birthday parties, etc. Work hard, learn more, be diligent. As an employee, you'll be able to come in and hang out all the time. Train when you're not working. You'll get better quickly.

Just to elaborate on what everyone else is saying...

Don't be embarrassed about your age. Everyone has to start somewhere. Sure there are girls your age at a much higher level but they've probably been at it since they were 5. Just remember you are there because you enjoy gymnastics and focus on what your coach is telling you to do. It was probably said earlier in the thread but you have a heads up on the little ones because you'll have an easier time understanding exactly what's wanted from you and can ask the questions you need to if you don't.

A goal of level 8 is fine but remember that short term goals are essential in getting there. Focus on one skill at a time. If your basics suck, getting to a high level will be much harder and your more likely to get injured. Strength is needed for everything so do conditioning whenever you can.

Being on team and competing is great aspect of the sport but there's way more to gymnastics. Go to class and have fun!

I also think you should talk to your coach about prep op/xcel. Honestly, at our gym, you wouldn't be allowed to compete L3 or L4. Our coaches have made comments that if you need motrin once a month, you don't need to be in L3/L4. Kind of blunt but it's their gym so what they says goes. And it would be somewhat awkward to have a teenager training with 6-9 year olds.

So if your gym has prep op/xcel, it would be a great fit because then your progress is tied directly to how hard you are working rather than a system full of gold stars and rigid move ups.

In Quebec we have lots of girls who compete at your age. Our L1 is simple and the older girls do beautiful floor and beam routines with simple skills in them. Many of these older girls learn faster and move better than the little ones. Both my girls trained in mixed age and level groups. Gym was tiny and the coach made it work. NO body every felt bad about their skills. My 6 year old trained with 16 year old and my 13 year old trained with 7 year olds. It worked just fine. The only issue ever was the coach keeping the conversation age appropriate.

The only issue ever was the coach keeping the conversation age appropriate.

Which really needs to happen at all levels! One of our 8YO L4s learned about menstrual cycles and sex from 10YO teammate who had a sister going through puberty. The 8YO's mother was absolutely aghast when her DD came home and shared what she learned in gymnastics THAT day!

Which really needs to happen at all levels! One of our 8YO L4s learned about menstrual cycles and sex from 10YO teammate who had a sister going through puberty. The 8YO's mother was absolutely aghast when her DD came home and shared what she learned in gymnastics THAT day!
That was exactly the issue!!!

I was an older gymnast. Like you, I got a later start (I wasn't a teenager when I started, but I wasn't 5 either, or even 8). I remember very clearly being the older girl in a sea of little kids, although there were a couple of other girls roughly my grade and level, which helped. I made it to L8, but no farther, and I did gymnastics well into my high school years.

I second the "get into coaching" advice. That's what I did. Starting when I was about 13 I helped out with the pre-team girls, and eventually went on to be a full on assistant coach. The coach/owner allowed me to help pay off some of my tuition that way, but, more importantly, it helped me to be involved in gymnastics and see my own dreams realized in others. Plus, being involved with the little kids made me feel less self conscious about my age, and instead of feeling embarrassed when the kids got a skill that I couldn't get, or outscored me at a meet, I felt proud because I had a part in their achievements too. No matter how good those kids are at gymnastics, they're still just children, and they look up to you as a "big girl" regardless of your level. :)

I can assure everyone that I'm not going to talk to them about sex and menustration. If I'm in their class, they'll have a role model, not a person that talks inappropriately.

I can assure everyone that I'm not going to talk to them about sex and menustration. If I'm in their class, they'll have a role model, not a person that talks inappropriately.
Oh no, I do not think anyone thought you would. I think it was just saying how little ears sometimes latch on to older kid talk. That happens everywhere and there is nothing wrong in talking about either subject anyway. We just want you to do gym and LOVE it.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back