WAG The monologue of a gym mom during a meet

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I was bored and missing gymnastics over spring break so I was re-watching my old meet videos. My dad was the one videotaping while my mom (unknowingly) entertained all the parents in the stands with her monologue that I could then hear when I watched my meet on the camera. Even though my mom knew that, she could not help herself. Does anyone else do that or was it just my mom?

My particular favorite was when I was in level 9 and competing beam. I was terrible at beam to begin with but this meet I did my backhandspring back tuck and completely missed the beam and landed on my back under the beam. All the parents who my mom is sitting with have lower level daughters so they all gasp and are saying things like "Oh my goodness! Is she okay?" Then you hear my mom laughing and saying that I am physically fine but that I lost all value of my series so I'll get a terrible score. I get back up on the beam and the next thing I do was a switch split leap and I straddle the beam. At this point, my mom is laughing even harder and then she says, "I think she is actually going to get a 5!"

I try really hard not to say anything at all, but it is hard!!! I hope you were okay and didn't get a 5!!

that's so cute! i bet that's fun to go back and listen to later.
i've been recording my daughter's but not saying anything.
i guess i do that because i tend to share the videos and i hate the way i sound on tape!

During The Nastia Cup, Mary Lou Retton was in the commentary booth during her daughter's floor routine. It was really funny to hear and see her do the routine with her daughter. She definitely was in Mom mode and did not even try to commentate. The video also showed her sitting and standing during parts of the routine.

I can never show anyone the routines I film of my dd. You can hear me whispering 'come on baby, come on baby' and 'keep going, good girl' and so on all the way through. And quite often a really audible gasp/exhilation/ choking noise/sob at the end - especially beam. I'm so embarrassing!

that's so cute! i bet that's fun to go back and listen to later.
i've been recording my daughter's but not saying anything.
i guess i do that because i tend to share the videos and i hate the way i sound on tape!
There is so much going on that I decided not to worry about talking. I edit all of my videos on One True Media before sharing, so I just have music playing and hide the sound from the actual videos :)
My brother sits beside me and he is still learning, but THINKS he knows what he is talking about so he will ask me questions WHILE i am recording or make a comment that is totally irrelevant... and i HAVE to tell him he is an idiot and to please shut up :D .
Last meet, during YG's beam(L3), it was "She isn't going to get credit for her jumps, is she?" "Yes she is. Please shut up." "She didn't connect them fast enough." "In L3, they are SUPPOSED to connect them, so she will lose the credit for the connection... BUT she doesn't totally lose the credit for the skills since she did them and they were pretty. This ISN'T Optionals! Now, stop acting like you know what you are talking about and... Please be QUIET!"

I have to remind myself while filming to not talk other than saying good job

Ditto. I get Sooo nervous for all our girls and tend to keep up a running commentary during their routines. "Bent arms. Good leap. Legs apart. " I get asked a lot by the other parents what deductions I saw, but I'm so in the moment that I don't remember anything except the big stuff after the fact.

I have to remember to keep my mouth shut when I'm recording my own DD. Though sometimes that gasp/prayer/curse sneaks out anyway.

I almost died of embarrassment when one of my son's teammates' moms posted a video of his awesome floor routine at states and you could hear me in the background yelling my fool head off. But at least that's not as bad as the time I'm pretty sure I got caught on someone else's daughter's bars video saying, "Oh sh**, poor baby!" when she casted over . . . hope I've learned that lesson by now.

I an never post videos I shoot because I always forget about sound and apparently I am always singing. Ha ha. 9 out of 10 videos I shoot of anything you can hear me singing some silly song. I guess I like background music!

I an never post videos I shoot because I always forget about sound and apparently I am always singing. Ha ha. 9 out of 10 videos I shoot of anything you can hear me singing some silly song. I guess I like background music!
Theme song to Rocky?

I have one from her last comp with her bestie sitting next to me saying "she should have pointed her toes there" - classic

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back