WAG The optimism if a young gymnast.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

JoyAvenueMom

Proud Parent
So, I (jokingly) asked dd if she could teach me to do a back handspring since I would like to do one on the beach this summer. (Now, make sure you have the correct image in mind...overweight, out of shape, and barely able to complete a "beginner" cartwheel...got it?) You could almost see the wheels turning in her little head as she said: "well, we don't have a tumble track....and we don't have a cheese mat... we don't even have a spring floor!" "That's right.", I said. Very seriously, and with only the slightest hesitation, dd replied, "Wow, this could take all summer!"

So, I (jokingly) asked dd if she could teach me to do a back handspring.............. You could almost see the wheels turning in her little head as she said: "well, we don't have a tumble track....and we don't have a cheese mat... we don't even have a spring floor!" "That's right.", I said. Very seriously, and with only the slightest hesitation, dd replied, "Wow, this could take all summer!"

What a gem!. Too bad I wasn't there to prompt her to add..... "and our medical insurance has too low of a limit, and doesn't include coverage for deliberate acts of lunacy."

Nice kid. I've known others who would straight out laughed before they said "No." Brutal truth and no tact.

I did my first one as a 34 year old (and I'm male, so my body doesn't bend as much). Having a barrel/octagon around along with a coach strong enough to actually spot is the key. The old gym had an adult class once a week and it was fun, though it was a hard workout. It was cheap and you just paid per class, so it was fun to do a few times.

My daughter once asked me, "What is the highest level of gymnastics?" I told her it was Level 10, to which she replied, "Then that is what you would be, right?" Um, no.

On the other hand, after her ballet class peeked into my adult class, she told me "Maybe you should try an easier class so you could keep up."

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back