This week I accomplished...

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gina, have fun at the national aau meet at the end on June. It sounds like you'll be good and ready for it. i was looking forward to meeting you there but I guess I'll have to wait till next year because of my stupid ankle injury. Hopefully I'll get to meet all of you next year at camp. That would just be so much fun. It will feel like we're all teenagers again, without the drama thankfully :D.

I have a little mini bar routine that I put together, and I did the whole thing connected nicely a few times in a row this week! I do a pull-over, front hipcircle, back hipcircle, underswing dismount. My form can use some work (separated legs when I cast, bend legs on the front hip) but it's way better than it used to be! I tried to work a little on my free hip circle, but I didn't have my grips with me so I stopped trying after one! This week I'll have my grips with me, and will do a lot of bars I hope!

~Katy

nice katy! that's a lot like one of my bar routines, except i had to do a squat on jump to high bar and tap swing 1/2 dismount (level 5 dismount). i love straddle sole circle dismounts, have you tried those? they're really easy, but fun. :)

dannolyn... I've done the straddle sole circles before, they were one of the dismounts when I went through the USAG program for a bit a while back. The underswing has always been my favorite though! I can't wait to get my squat on back, but I'm afraid to even try!

~Katy

yeah, i still think they're scary! (squat ons) i can't wait to do bars when i'm better. right now even a pullover hurts.

This week.... Double mini- straight jump on, pike jump, pike front flip off.
Tramp track- RO BHS layout
Floor- REALLY sloppy RO BHS. It is amazing how easy things are when you are like 4'10" 70lbs. compared to being 5'4" and fat now :p

Well it isn't an accomplishment, but tonight I used grips for the first time, and was able to very comfortably extend my bar time. Oh, and I did a pullover by myself tonight on a lower bar using a high mat to start myself off with, but it was by myself nonetheless. Beam went well tonight, handstands are getting better, actually attempted some tonight WITHOUT mats stacked up against the beam, and it wasn't as terrifying as I thought it would be. And I got a nice compliment from one of the girls in my class tonight, I was watching her do some stuff, and mentioned to her that she makes it look easy, and she told me I am doing awesome. Sometimes I have to remind myself that it has only been about 6 months since I started:cool:

Argh! I must have missed that one! That is interesting you could do it w/ that setup. I think that would mean that it's the holding your head up to the bar part that needs the most work (aka chinups). What did cori say?

PS I did giants in between the bars today!! I am always nervous to not hit the low bar, plus my cast wasn't good enough before. The form is kinda bad, but hopefully I can compete them and my straddle back for the nationals!

Well it isn't an accomplishment, but tonight I used grips for the first time, and was able to very comfortably extend my bar time. Oh, and I did a pullover by myself tonight on a lower bar using a high mat to start myself off with, but it was by myself nonetheless. Beam went well tonight, handstands are getting better, actually attempted some tonight WITHOUT mats stacked up against the beam, and it wasn't as terrifying as I thought it would be. And I got a nice compliment from one of the girls in my class tonight, I was watching her do some stuff, and mentioned to her that she makes it look easy, and she told me I am doing awesome. Sometimes I have to remind myself that it has only been about 6 months since I started:cool:

Yay Gina! Wish I could have gone to open gym to see you do that!!! But I will have to wait and see.

Yeah, I think you were working on your straddle backs at the point when I did my "pull over" so you were a little pre occupied. But I wanted to see if I could do them on a lower bar, and Cori had me plop one of the taller mats in front of the lower bar, stand on it, and go over. I got it on the third try, all by myself. We are going to start working on real chin ups, and I need to keep working on my wonderful candle stick exercises she has me doing, cause I am lacking just enough stregnth to keep me from fully accomplishing them on my own.

I haven't been able to work out lots lately, but I went yesterday and it felt pretty good.

Last time I went vault was a complete desaster, but today it was alright. I'm currently doing half on half offs, but want to start tsuks after that. Not sure how realistic they'd be, though. Anyway, they'd be fun to try. I also want to do yama****a halves as a second vault. I just like the feel of them.

Bars was decent, too. Nice casts. Did some dismounts into the pit. Problem ist though, I've been doing so many layouts and "pseudohalves" into the pit that regular dismounts feel all weird. I guess I'll just have to get through mondays competition and then I'm free to work them properly.

Floor was decent, too. I just can't land anything.Well I can, but it just feels weird. I used to have major problems with my ankles so that whenever I have to land on the hard floor I land all weird, chest down and stuff.... kind because I want do watch my feet... I guess. Oh well, not gonna be able to fix that till monday.

Beam wasnt overly exciting. Just routines. Pretty happy with my revamped choreo. Can't wait till after the competition. I really want to get better switch leaps (as in, hit 180, they are solid otherwise), full turn with leg at horizontal and front handspring (if that ever happens that'll be a miracle, but we will see:))

grizzoline,
nice job! i just looked at your blog and at your video of bars. you're really good! what competitions do you do? is it an adult competition, or do adults and younger kids all compete together? i was just wondering :)
~dannolynn

grizzoline,
It sounds like you're working some good skills. Your bar routine looks pretty clean too! For beam, have you ever thought of doing the switch leg leap and landing in a scale? That would be pretty. Also, not many gymnasts do front handsprings on beam. Keep working on it. Being different will make your routine stand out.
Danielle,
How's everything going? Are you working bars without pain yet? Keep us informed. I'm cheering for you! :)

This week I have been trying to see which new Bs I can put into my level 8 routines for the adult nationals, and how many special requirements I can meet.

Bars I have been able to put my straddle back into my routine and get a 10.0 SV. I also threw giants into flyaway on the regulation bars. Finally my cast on high bar is getting higher, so that giants are possible. I have the giants, its just the cast that gives me trouble.

Beam I have been able to do a bhs backwalkover combination, but still am having trouble w/ the connection. I still get nervous for the bhs. I also am doing pike jump into tuck 3/4. This routine if I connect has 10.0 SV.

Floor I made my first pass a front pike front tuck. It is fun to do but still a little inconsistent. I added a handstand 1 1/2 pirouette for an extra B.

I still need to work on vault cause currently all I have on competition setup is a handspring. But my quad is still sore so I didn't do much w/ it this week.

Good gymnastics week!

Gina - your straddle backs on bars are so good! but it scares me to watch you do them! haha

Littlelady - I was able to do a couple of things on bars today at my private lesson with Gina and Nicci. My coach had me swing with bent legs (it hurts if they're straight). I still had to be careful and make sure I was in control and not arching, but I did 3 sets of 5 re-grips. I also did candlestick hold with a spot (because it hurts to do pullovers)

I also worked on beam, but didn't do very well... I need lots of help on beam, I'm really sucking lately. I'm hoping these private lessons will help, because I really like beam and want to get better at it and not be afraid of it. Right now I'm trying to figure out how to do a good cartwheel on the beam that is consistent and goes over the top of my head, but I'm not having much success. I've read lots about it, and tried doing them with mats on either side making a tunnel, but I don't know... I think I just need more time to practice them.

It was fun to do the private lesson, though... I hope it will help me get better!

Gina,
It sure sounds like you're doing great skills. Where will Nationals be held? I hope you have a fantastic meet. Please share videos if you can.

Danielle,
I'd like to help you out on those beam cartwheels. I'll send you an email soon. I'm happy you started bars, even if it's a little at a time. It must be fun working out with nicci and Gina.

littlelady,
thanks! maybe someday you can make the trek down to portsmouth and come to adult class with us! :)

You actually did really well on beam Danielle, especially considering how long you have been out! How was that upside down exercise you did on bars? Did it help your abs any? (huge thing I gotta work on!)

I worked on some tap swings on bars, surprised at how easy they are now that I understand the concept of getting them going, and I can regrip properly now too. Did TONS of bars yesterday, feel as if my arms are going to fall off. Attempted a handstand on the high beam, it didn't amount to anything, but I did get both feet up in the air, and I landed again, landing is always a good thing:p

Hopefully with our adult class size starting to dwindle as well, between that and privates, skills will have a chance to improve a little more. This is the only sport I have ever done where you can do something one day, and not the next lol

Fhs is an awesome skill...and a 180 switch leap. Good luck!

I haven't been able to work out lots lately, but I went yesterday and it felt pretty good.

Beam wasnt overly exciting. Just routines. Pretty happy with my revamped choreo. Can't wait till after the competition. I really want to get better switch leaps (as in, hit 180, they are solid otherwise), full turn with leg at horizontal and front handspring (if that ever happens that'll be a miracle, but we will see:))

thanks Nicci,
ummm I'm not sure if it helped my abs... I'm sure it worked them! it didn't feel too hard since Cori was spotting me, but I was glad to be able to do something that didn't hurt my back, so that's good!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back