This week I accomplished...

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

ChalkBucket may earn a commission through product links on the site.
Yamas look really cool; what is the SV of that?
I haven't been able to work out lots lately, but I went yesterday and it felt pretty good.

Last time I went vault was a complete desaster, but today it was alright. I'm currently doing half on half offs, but want to start tsuks after that. Not sure how realistic they'd be, though. Anyway, they'd be fun to try. I also want to do yama****a halves as a second vault. I just like the feel of them.)

i have a low beam of sorts. it is about 5 inches wide, 1.5 inches thick (so that's as far off the ground as it goes), and 8 feet long.

Well, last week I did BWO on the low beam with just a mat over! Before I've always done them with pads (sort of like panel mats) and it was scary at first but I did about 10! Floor worked the 3/4 straight onto a pile of mats again but my ankle was aching by then and I kept landing on my neck, so had to stop that. Bars was a bit dull, still miles away from the upstart (kip). My glide is good, but I just dont have the leg-lift power! Hopefully on tuesday I'll be able to try vaulting properly for the first time since I hurt my ankle.

Thats amazing about the double double.Theres a guy at my gym who just got them last saturday and they're amazing - every time he does it I just cower in awe!

good practice yesterday. i actually did something on every event. tried a layout flyaway from a cast, not pretty. jumping harder for my bhs on beam. first ro bhs tuck on floor in 9.5 months, but i didn't want to try a layout. vault went really well.
my body reminds me i really need to be consistent with the workouts. i hadn't been in the gym for two weeks.

i have a low beam of sorts. it is about 5 inches wide, 1.5 inches thick (so that's as far off the ground as it goes), and 8 feet long.

Would you be able to set a goal for yourself of doing a certain number of them at home in a week? Do you think that would be helpful? I find one of the easiest ways to stick cartwheels is to make them LONG. I like to put a piece of paper or something, actually three, and make one hand go between 2 pieces and the other hand between 2 pieces.

Yamas look really cool; what is the SV of that?

Don't know. depends on the code under which you compete;) I do a modified version of the open ended system in Germany - it's a 4.1 there. For comparison, a regular handspring is a 3,9. So it's not worth a lot. I just find it easier to get lift off the table that way- you can kind of whip yourself over.

Yeah, that was the best drill for me that Gina actually set up for me to do Danielle. It helped a lot, and my cartwheels are WICKED long now, and easier to stick. What is a yama?

Let’s see this week I.... Learned most of the level 5 routine on trampoline. I did a tuck jump mount pike kick out front flip dismount on double mini and I was also completely humiliated when the new male coach decided to make me run with elastic bands around my stomach with him holding on as I looked like a fricking idiot as the bands dug perfectly into my fat rolls.:confused:

Would you be able to set a goal for yourself of doing a certain number of them at home in a week? Do you think that would be helpful? I find one of the easiest ways to stick cartwheels is to make them LONG. I like to put a piece of paper or something, actually three, and make one hand go between 2 pieces and the other hand between 2 pieces.

i could try that gina. maybe i'll have you show me on friday!

I actually got my right split down flat to the floor yesterday, and my left one was pretty close! Did some more pretty good tap swings on bars again, getting a lot better at my handstand on beam, perfectly stuck three out of five cartwheels on beam, and got to see my vault on video. It was kind of cool seeing myself do something on tape, and a bigger help than I imagined, b/c I knew exactly what to fix, because I could see what my coach was talking about

this week i only went to open gym, but i accomplished getting less discouraged about my cartwheels on beam, and realizing that i just need to keep doing them and get comfortable with them. i stuck a couple, but i'm not sure i'm kicking over my head, but again, hopefully that will come with just doing them over and over again.

Hmmm...this week I did giants between the bars almost every practice, and sometimes I don't make them the first turn, but for the most part I am consistent w/ them and the form is getting better. I finally have a high enough cast for giants pretty much all the time between the bars (I used to do better at the pit bar cast cause I could control the glide better than I could from jumping from the low bar). I also have been trying to get more amplitude in my free hip and someone described it to be like pumping a swing, and it sounds weird but it seems to be helping me generate more force during it to be up higher and with straight arms.

I didn't do a ton of beam or floor, just kind of status quo there. I have been working on my technique hitting the board for vault and it seems to be helping me get a better flight so I can do fulls and tsuks hopefully one day. I can do them into a pit, but do not have enough height to land them consistently and I am pretty sure it is from my board/preflight not being strong enough.

Just working on healing and conditioning mostly. Its been about a month now since the accident. I just hope it heals soon. I have a doctor's appointment Thursday and I'm going to ask about some of the things I've read about that allows athletes to heal faster. Mostly I want to heal enough that I can perform in the show this season. Since its mostly tumble track, trampoline & bungie stuff I should be ok if it would just heal pretty well in the next couple weeks. I do feel like I'm getting a pretty strong upper body & core in the meantime. I can now do about 22 pull-ups (about 8 at a time, 3 sets) with a ankle weight on one leg & my cast on the other along with a lot of leg lifts, v-ups and more. So I do feel like I'm accomplishing something in the meantime. I just have trouble when I think about how far I had gotten with my tumbling on floor. Working on fronthandsprings, punch fronts, roundoff backhandspring backlayouts and now I know it'll be a while until I can pound on the floor like that again. I really wanted to start competing this year. Anyway I just hope I'll be ready for it next year. I guess I'll just have to take one step at a time and see. If nothing else I should be ready for camp next year. Everyone says they're going so I hope you guys don't back out in the meantime. It will be such a wonderful experience.

kylie, that's awesome that you're doing 22 pull ups, especially with the added weight of your cast and the ankle weights. amazing! you've inspired me to start using my chin up bar...

i can't speak for everyone, but i'm still planning to go to camp next year. by then i should be back to 100% and it will be so much fun!

Kylie, that is just amazing that you can do 22 pull ups! And if you're working your conditioning as much as you are, I think you are going to be pleasantly surprised at how quickly your skills will come back! I wish I could install a chin up bar where I am, but wall pushups and upside down v pushups are going to have to take place for now. And I hopefully will be able to go to camp next year too, depending on when we get back from our, well, it will technically be our first honeymoon, since I never got one last year, and we are renewing our vows for our two year anniversary, since no one was there last year. Does anyone know when camp for the adults is? I know its the last week, does anyone know WHEN that last week is?

Nicci, I just want to let you know that if you want a pull-up/chin-up bar there are some out there that you can just hook onto any door frame. What I have is the iron-gym total upper body workout bar. You can just put it in a door frame when you want to do pull-ups and take it down afterwards and you can even use it for doing push-ups & dips on the floor too. I don't think its too expensive either. They also have a chin-up bar associated with the P90x thing that works similarly but I'm not sure how expensive it is. Just some ideas. I like the one I have because I can do leg lifts for my abs too. Anyway, hope you can make it next year. This year I believe the camp would be August 23-29 so I guess next year it would be whatever the last week in August is. I hope this helps.

That would be perfect timing, and a great second retreat before my senior year of nursing school! Yeah, I seriously cant install a chin up bar, my house is not exactly sturdy, and looking at it wrong could blow it over, let alone installing something in the doorframe and hanging from it lol! Though the pushups and dips would make it worthwile

This week I did a RO back layout. It was an accident though, I was going for a backhandspring and got too much height to put my hands down. It was really fun though!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back