Parents Time to check out other gyms?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Eagleperson

Proud Parent
Thanks for bearing with me on this long post!

So...I am a bit frustrated with my daughters gym and am wondering if my concerns are legitimate. My ten year old is repeating level 3 for next year. I am actually fine with this because she is still working on some key level 4 skills. But, I do think that she could've been coached in a way over the past year to have been prepared better for level 4. Her coaches were both new to competitive coaching and one left at the end of the season and another coach, also new to team coaching took her place. Both are nice and my daughter likes them though she says that one (the one she worked with last year) is “holding her back” on certain skills.

Two practices a week the girls work with both those coaches (so a 10 to 1 ratio) for 2 hour practices. One practice a week all the team girls practice with all the coaches but the ration remains about 10 to 1. I watched one recent practice and in a half hour on beam and then on a half hour on bar my daughter worked with the coach only one time on each event...the rest of the time she was just doing stations or practicing on her own. So basically she got spotted for a couple minutes on each. This doesn't feel like enough attention and coaching for a kid who is repeating a level.

Next, the level 3 group is very diverse and so while my daughter has been uptraining on level 4 for a few months she is just doing really basic stuff (learning to run to the vault, beam mounts, etc) now. I am okay with that for review but the HC said to expect her to lose the new skills gained the past few months since she won't have much chance to work on them now because of the other girls. Again this makes a certain amount of sense but the gym doesn't seem very interested in dividing the group of 20 level 3 girls (my daughter is just one of a few repeating the level) into two groups for training purposes, increasing hours (they do 6 hours a week), etc.

Finally, overall the gym seems disorganized, lacks communication and is maybe more expensive than other gyms in our area. I don't think my daughter is going to be a huge champion but I think she could do better with better coaching in a more professional gym. There is a lot of coach turnover and even gymnast turnover.

I would like to take her to get assessed at another gym, if not for this years season at level 3 then to talk to them about a spot for her the following year as a level 4 but I want to get a sense of what others think. My gut tells me she could do better with a more organized gym and more experienced coaches but she feels very loyal and gets very upset even talking about it (even though she admits her main coach hasn't pushed her and that there are now too many girls on her team for coaches to pay attention to----data point, there were fewer girls on the team last year).

What do you think? Is it time to talk to other gyms?

Eagle -

Your dd is 10, right? The time is right to sit down with her and have a serious discussion of her goals in this crazy sport. Your next step will be 100% dependent on her goals.

If she has gymnastics in her blood and this is her passion, to the exclusion of everything else, and she sees herself sticking out the sport to level 10, then it is time to make a change. For a long-term future you need a better situation than you have.

If she just wants to have fun and "plays" at the sport, then stay where you are.

As I have said on this board in the past, if a gymnast is competent and the coaching is compatent, there is no reason a gymnast should repeat level 3. Level 3 just doesn't warrant it; get it done and move on to level 4 and beyond. Now, if the gym's coaches see issues and they are competent coaches, then trust them.

Good Luck.

I think 6 hours is on the low side for level 3, so progress would be difficult for anyone. How many hours does level 3/4 train at other gyms in your area? At my gym the level 3s train 10 hours and the level 4s train 12 for example. Good luck! Changing gyms is always a hard decision, but it sounds like it is time to at least look around.

MeetDirector,
Yes, she is 10 and she was moved into a level 2 preteam at age 8 after a year or so of rec classes and competed level 3 at age 9 last season. She loves gymnastics! Reads about it, thinks about it, walks around on her hands...She really wants to keep moving up and forward (and was frustrated with her scores last season, but they did improve a lot). I think you are right in framing the conversation the way you did and that will help me put things in perspective for her.

I think 6 hours is on the lowish side, too. especially when conditioning takes up about 1.5 to 2 hours of that each week. I think the other gyms in our area (and there are a lot) have more hours at that level.

Bookworm,
I thought the same thing about repeating level 3: I think the energy should've gone into the level 4 skills after the season ended and kept going from there.

Eagle -

I think you know already what the right answer is in your dd's situation. I would suggest that the faster you make the switch, the better it will be (just like ripping a band-aid off). You need to be at a gym where real coaching takes place and not babysitting.

Good Luck

Don't wait a year...go see what's out there now and move as soon as you can. That will give her the most time/best opportunity to gain the skills she needs for competition season. No reason to spend another year at a disorganized gym with mediocre coaching. Even if she winds up repeating L3, she'll at least be at a gym with a better overall structure and program to support her. Good luck!

Don't wait a year...go see what's out there now and move as soon as you can. That will give her the most time/best opportunity to gain the skills she needs for competition season. No reason to spend another year at a disorganized gym with mediocre coaching. Even if she winds up repeating L3, she'll at least be at a gym with a better overall structure and program to support her. Good luck!

Thanks so much! I have some calls out today to other gyms and emails out to friends with girls at other gyms!

Leave now...I would never repeat level 3, period....and it sounds like she's not really being coached at all, babysat yes , coached no....

I know the general consensus here on CB is "don't have them repeat the low levels," especially if we're talking about an older kid, but in some cases, I do think it's the right decision. It is a big jump to level 4 with kips, vaulting over the table, etc. and some kids just aren't ready for it. One of DD's old teammates did two years at old level 4 and was not ready to do level 5, but they decided to move her up anyway, rather than have her do a third year of the level or move her to Xcel. She struggled - big time. Scores in the 5s on bars, 7s on vault, etc. It really hurt the kid's confidence. No kid would rather get crushed at every meet, rather than repeat a low level because "it's a waste of time." For some kids, they max out at those low levels. It's not about "getting them to optionals as soon as possible." These kids are not ever going to be optionals.

Obviously, it sounds like in the OP's case, there are coaching issues, and that alone might prompt her to look at other gyms, but I think a lot of people here like to give the impression that if a gym suggests you repeat a low level, they're crazy and you need to get out of there now....especially when we haven't seen the kid's skill set. We're not talking about repeating Level 1 here.

Just my two cents.

I know the general consensus here on CB is "don't have them repeat the low levels," especially if we're talking about an older kid, but in some cases, I do think it's the right decision. It is a big jump to level 4 with kips, vaulting over the table, etc. and some kids just aren't ready for it. One of DD's old teammates did two years at old level 4 and was not ready to do level 5, but they decided to move her up anyway, rather than have her do a third year of the level or move her to Xcel. She struggled - big time. Scores in the 5s on bars, 7s on vault, etc. It really hurt the kid's confidence. No kid would rather get crushed at every meet, rather than repeat a low level because "it's a waste of time." For some kids, they max out at those low levels. It's not about "getting them to optionals as soon as possible." These kids are not ever going to be optionals.

Obviously, it sounds like in the OP's case, there are coaching issues, and that alone might prompt her to look at other gyms, but I think a lot of people here like to give the impression that if a gym suggests you repeat a low level, they're crazy and you need to get out of there now....especially when we haven't seen the kid's skill set. We're not talking about repeating Level 1 here.

Just my two cents.

I totally get what you are saying. And, I don't think my daughter is actually ready to move up a level this year (though, like I stated, with different coaching she may have been). I think the level thing is just another concern on my list but the bigger issue has been my growing unease with the gym. I think another season on level 3 will give her confidence to move to level 4!

We looked at another gym yesterday and I really liked it. They work out 9 hours a week, the gym is cleaner and more organized, the team smaller (though there are way more upper level girls which is a good sign), etc etc. They offered her a spot on the team and said she could work out with them one more time to help her make the decision. The costs are about the same all told but perhaps a tad cheaper because they have 9 as opposed to 6 hours a week.

My daughter said she will think about it the next few days and that there were things she liked about it. She is keeping an open mind but we will need to make a decision fairly soon. I would like her to move but I would also like her to take some ownership of the whole thing. I am thinking of having us, as a family (since I pay, drive, volunteer, etc) do a list of pros and cons to help make a final decision.

Anyone have any experience with making this tough decision especially if your gymnast is on the fence?
Thanks!!!

Push her over the fence. :)

Sometimes, we need to make the decision for them when they're young. Obviously, you want her to embrace it and be happy, so you have to help her get there. Your ideas for doing that are good....hopefully it won't be a big issue. But if push comes to shove....you know what to do!! :p

I would agree with the other posters that six hours a week is not enough for a ten year old with aspirations continuing through the JO levels. I get the sense that you think she will be spinning her wheels there repeating Level 3. Sounds like you are thinking it through carefully. All gyms will have their issues. However, she needs to increase her hours if she is going to progress. Personally, I think a ten year old (she's going into 5th grade, right?) working those front hip circles and mill circle or basket swing is kind of a waste of time. If it were my daughter (and was your daughter's age), I'd rather have her learning level 4/5 skills and not competing if she's not ready, versus repeating Level 3 at 6 hours a week.

A. I would like her to move but I would also like her to take some ownership of the whole thing. I am thinking of having us, as a family (since I pay, drive, volunteer, etc) do a list of pros and cons to help make a final decision.

B. Anyone have any experience with making this tough decision especially if your gymnast is on the fence?
Thanks!!!

Point A: I never involved my kids in the decision to move gyms because I felt that as the parent, it was my decision...I was the one paying, driving and seeing (or not seeing) the results of the services I paid for. The nice thing about NOT having them part of the decision to move is that it put all the "blame" on me when it came to explaining to their friends and coaches...."it's my mom's decision" ...and I was fine with that because gyms can be nasty to your kid when you leave them...and I wouldn't get the whole family involved in the decision, you're the one seeing what's going on so you are best equipped to make the decision..

Point B: see Point A ....and I just reiterated to them that I was done with burning money in the backyard by paying for lousy coaching...they always came around...

We tried another gym once, it did not go well, AT ALL! So if it went well I would go with it, my daughter was about the same stage yours was or is but just younger, she cried the whole time. :(

One of our girls tried another gym for a week... she came "running" back to our gym. She said the other gym was too strict and they worked too many hours and they made you do push ups and sit ups when you got in trouble...

Of course, she doesn't have a good work ethic and her mother INSISTED last year that she move up to L4... without a kip at all (attempted them and missed in every meet except the last one) and with a shaky cartwheel.
She could compete SAFELY, which is why HC allowed it, but she did not have good scores. She would have done SO MUCH BETTER if she had repeated.

So, @Eagleperson , if your daughter likes the new gym, switch ASAP!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back