WAG Training practices/skill improvement

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

trust me... the above is not misspelled. it is the movie playing described in the post that was playing thru Coachp's mind as to what is taking placing at beam with Fortheloveofsports child. YIKES!
==
\
lol, ... thanks for the cover up! just horrible spelling,,, hi instead of high,,,, oops!

Ok. I got a little clarification from my daughter who is currently complaining of knee pain and scratched vault and floor at today's meet.

The numbers (50) is accurate on each series on beam but they only had to do their series with back tucks 10 times. But they had to land/stick them 10 times. If they fell, they had to start all over again. So everyone ended having to do a lot more. They did have to do 50 switch leaps and 50 of their other leap series, in the case of my daughter it is tuck 3/4 to split leap. May I ask what is a good, progressive, challenging number to do on beam? They are on beam everyday.

Ok. I got a little clarification from my daughter who is currently complaining of knee pain and scratched vault and floor at today's meet.

The numbers (50) is accurate on each series on beam but they only had to do their series with back tucks 10 times. But they had to land/stick them 10 times. If they fell, they had to start all over again. So everyone ended having to do a lot more. They did have to do 50 switch leaps and 50 of their other leap series, in the case of my daughter it is tuck 3/4 to split leap. May I ask what is a good, progressive, challenging number to do on beam? They are on beam everyday.
==
Just talk to the head coach and hopefully he/she will giver her a reasonable assignment. If it continues you will have an entire squad out with knee and ankle pain.

not 50 i can tell you that...

There has to be a number the hc is comfortable establishing as a maximum, and no matter how, why, or when that number has been reached, they move onto something else. The way I worked it was a skill, or connection completed to support before falling was worth 1 point, 2 points if it stayed on, and 3 points if they remained square while staying on. Score 3o points and move on, but let me know if you go beyond 20 attempts so I can focus on that one kid's problem.

The hard limit for singles was 30 reps no matter how bad a day they were having or how "over their head" they were with the skill, and for same-same series the number was 20. I think there were a few early season occasions where the kids could have gone to 50, geez maybe 70, but they had that rule, and reminded me whenever I asked for more.......

You know, there's plenty of time to get skills figured out and prepare for comps, and too little time if the kids are constantly compensating for chronic pain.

There are a few other benefits, but that would be a very, very long post.

Thank you coaches. I just sent an email to HC. I am so nervous and worried because our HC as much as he is a good guy and loves the girls, he has a pretty big ego. I know he will send me back a nasty email. But that is ok as long as he monitors our beam coach more closely and sets boundaries. Wish me luck I am not sent to the dog house!

Btw, a family friend physician we saw yesterday at a party, after my daughter indicated where the pain was coming from and giving the description of the pain, indicated that the pain seems to be in the patellar tendon. He said it could very well be patellar tendonitis (jumper's knee). I am hopeful I can get an appointment with an orthopedic surgeon early next week. States is in two weeks and regionals is in four weeks. We can petition to regionals but what if she is not even able to compete in 4 weeks. I noticed this problematic practices months ago. I wish I had said something then. The HC is very good in meting out numbers and trying to keep his gymnasts healthy and injury free. But I don't know why he gave this new coach so much leeway,

Thank you coaches. I just sent an email to HC. I am so nervous and worried because our HC as much as he is a good guy and loves the girls, he has a pretty big ego. I know he will send me back a nasty email. But that is ok as long as he monitors our beam coach more closely and sets boundaries. Wish me luck I am not sent to the dog house!

Maybe his ego can understand the need for healthy gymnasts to prove he can walk the walk. That's all it took for me when I saw kids slowing down from over use injuries.

If the HC is going to hire a babysitter they should probably give the babysitter a program to follow that is logical and safe. I would not buy the 'I don't coach beam' argument as at least the HC/other coaches would have an understanding of skills and the athlete limitations. A good tumbling coach could provide successful corrections to a child who is struggling with a beam dismount. If this coach has no experience then the HC or another should be stepping in and providing assistance.

I agree pineapple. I don't know why he can't even assist. This "new" coach has been with the gym for a couple years. But it was only this year when she was "promoted" to beam when we lost our beam coach. She "trained" over last summer, about 2 months, by going to our sister gym and watching the HC coach in the morning. I guess they thought that was enough. I sincerely believe a little knowledge is more dangerous than none at all.

The coach sent me a long nasty email as expected. In the end, he indicated he would speak with the beam coach. I'd like to think it is the sport, and it could very well be. But we have four L10s, and all but one is injured. We have 5 L9s and 3, including my daughter, is injured. I am certain our injuries are not all training related. But this sport can be very depressing!

But this sport can be very depressing!

It can be depressing sometimes but it can also be very great! I would be such a different person if I never did gymnastics. The only good different thing that I can think of would be that my arms would be smaller so I could find shirts that actually fit.

If my doctor hadn't told me I could never do gymnastics again I would be on my 14th year of doing it and my 11th year competing!

Sorry for going off on a tangent but I just wanted to remind you how amazing gymnastics is and how good it is for your daughter! I know it will turn around. :)

I know it would be hard, but if things don't change quickly I would consider a move.

The coach sent me a long nasty email as expected. In the end, he indicated he would speak with the beam coach. I'd like to think it is the sport, and it could very well be. But we have four L10s, and all but one is injured. We have 5 L9s and 3, including my daughter, is injured. I am certain our injuries are not all training related. But this sport can be very depressing!

That's unfortunate that he was not nice in his reply. I can understand being embarrassed that, as a coach, you had somehow failed your athletes - but you'd think he would be at least a bit grateful that you noticed something he hadn't. You did the right thing, and those gymnasts' bodies will thank you!!

That's unfortunate that he was not nice in his reply. I can understand being embarrassed that, as a coach, you had somehow failed your athletes - but you'd think he would be at least a bit grateful that you noticed something he hadn't. You did the right thing, and those gymnasts' bodies will thank you!!

As I mentioned in my previous post, he does have a rather big ego but is actually a good guy. After the dust settled, he came back with an email indicating even if we may "fight" (his word), he does consider everything and in the end seemed resigned to make things better.

In his nasty first response he indicated he watched the coach closely and claimed they never did those numbers. He said they always discussed practices and he approved them. He tried to take responsibility for the prolonged skill repetitions even though I know he was not responsible. (He is a very safe coach and he would have never approved those practices.) I told him exactly what the coach was having the girls do. He might occasionally glance at beam training but he does not watch. I think now he will watch her more closely and I think he will instruct her to reduce numbers. He in fact told me not to worry and was quite light hearted in his last email. But just for the record, his first response was ridiculously nasty, immature and disrespectful. If my daughter did not love it there, I would have walked away.

Last edited:
Thank you very much for everyone's support and insight. It has gotten me through another hurdle.

Last edited:

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back