Training Schedule Opinions

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Clover

Proud Parent
My DD will have an extra 4 hours per week for uptraining/learning new skills over the Summer in addition to her regular 3 day workout schedule. We have the option of 1 - 4 hour session or 2 - 2 hour sessions (with a 1 day break in between). I keep wavering between the two options. On the one hand, a 4 hour session would use less time for warm up/cool down and therefore spend more time actually working the new skills. On the other hand, 2 separate days allows her to work the new skills more than just 1 time per week, so maybe she'll remember them better.

The gym is pretty close by so, although only driving one more day a week would be nice, it's not really that big a deal. Also, she may be a bit more tired from the 4 hour class, but she is used to 3.5 hour sessions now so the extra 30 minutes shouldn't be an issue.

She is very excited for the class.

Any other things I haven't considered? Thoughts?

Thanks!

Go with the 1 4hour session added to the 3 days she already does. 4 hours or 3.5 hours will feel the same to her and I think a 2hour session even twice a week isn't enough time to get into anything. Its like you are just starting and the class is over. She would still need to warm up etc for the same amount of time to do the skills.

It also gives her one more free day not to be at the gym in the summer (1 day vs 2 days at gym) so she can do some fun stuff with friends etc.

Split it into the two days.

The more often they are at the gym, the better the chance they'll "catch fire" on a skill. I also think the "dis-advantage" of having to warm-up twice is neatly countered by creating a sense of pupose and urgency with a shorter work time. It's always easier to tell yourself it has to be done NOW when you haven't much time to work with, and those "now" moments are the difference between working on a skill, and making the changes needed to "get" the skill. It's seldom you'll hear a coach say "you've got all day" to a child who's just picking at the edges of a skill when they should be taking a big bite and swallowing it whole.

I would normally agree with iwannacoach on this one (more days less time better than less days more time), but it's summer! It might be nice to have a full day without gym to go to the beach...

I say two extra days. I am trying to find a way to get my daughter extra practice this summer. More time at the gym = more chances to catch onto the skills.

Another advantage of two days over one: breaks are good for you, especially if you're really pushing hard to get a skill. Sometimes, being away from it for a bit is all you need. You come back the next day a little fresher and without whatever subconscious block was getting in your way.

I say do the one day....I'm sick of driving...and yes, it's summer and when she gets to the upper levels you won't have the "option" of picking and choosing your days and schedules for the summer or anytime so I say take advantage of it while you can...and I'll be jealous...

I say do the one day....I'm sick of driving...and yes, it's summer and when she gets to the upper levels you won't have the "option" of picking and choosing your days and schedules for the summer or anytime so I say take advantage of it while you can...and I'll be jealous...

Totally agree with this. The amount of "advantage" she could gain by going the extra 2 days for 2 hours versus 1 day for 4 hours is negligible. But you have the opportunity to create some great summer memories with your kids on that extra, free day. Like bookworm said, take advantage of the free time while you can. I'll be jealous, too.

Have you asked her what she wants to do? Sometimes, I actually let my oldest DD have an opinion (ha ha) and sometimes, her answers actually make sense and help me decide! :)

fwiw, I asked my dd (she's 9) which way she felt was better, and she said do the 1 day, 4 hour. When I asked why? She said, they do different things during different practices, so you wouldn't necessarily get to DO the same thing on both days (addressing the idea of remembering stuff better with more repetition during the week) I like the idea of one less day at the gym. Sigh...not happening for us unless one of them quits. We are there 6 days a week... take advantage NOW!!! And I hope you and she have a great summer.

Thanks!

Thanks for all of the great thoughts and opinions! My DD wants to do whatever the majority of her friends are doing, which is still TBD.:)

It is nice to have options.

Lots of votes on either side here! I would go with the 1 hr session myself--less driving and more time off--they need that too. And more chance to actually work skills. Do you know the other parents well? I'd call/text them and ask what they plan to do as your DD wants to be with her friends and do the same.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back