Trouble with twisting

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I've never had a problem with it. The first time I did a front layount twist(On mats, to my back) I twisted to my right automatically, even though I'm a lefty when it comes to tumbling/back twisting. Personally I think letting them do what is naturtal to them, even while running the risk of getting lost, is better than trying to force their bodies to do it differently. (IF it comes to them naturally like it did me, anyway.)

But I can definetly see your concern. I wish I had someone else at my gym that was working on front and backwards twisting so I could observe more. :p

I've got kids who will, ideally, be doing things like arabian double front rudi out some day. They NEED to go the same direction, both so they don't zero themselves and so they don't break themselves. I've got kids who probably won't do that, but they, also, need to go the same direction so they don't get lost & break themselves.

hey CoachGoofy, Brandon is a teen ager i believe. i don't think he'll understand 'fake in fake outs' as you decribe above. he may not know what a 1/2 in rudi out is. or fliffis, trifis, trifis trifis, ball outs, full in barani out, flurries, etc;

as an aside...i got a new girl just 3 weeks ago. comes from 1 1/2 hours away. she tells me that she has a back 1 1/2 twist on floor. so, i say show me. she tumbles in to the resi, she twists right on the full and comes back to the left for her 1/2. even 2 of my other coaches did not catch it on the 1st one. 3 more times and they got it. i have subsequently changed the direction of her twist to the left. the athlete comments on monday "it's alot easier that way". in all my years doing this...:)

I'm just really passionate about learning things right & efficiently the first time...it's like I assume that all kids might have potential or something. :)

I don't know if this is what you're doing but.... are you thinking of the full as a half and a half? When I first learned my full, thats how i thought of it, and i just couldn't get all the way around. I was waiting too late to twist since i was thinking of it as a half, and then another half. Try just thinking of it as a full

I'm just really passionate about learning things right & efficiently the first time...it's like I assume that all kids might have potential or something. :)
Kind of like when I get cheerleaders that have a "standing full" but it's actually a cheated Arabian 1/2? And they can't even do a proper layout. They get mad when I take them back to the basics. Go figure :).

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back