Parents Trying real hard to be that supportive mom

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Don't get me wrong. I am pretty sure there are a lot of rules, it is really starting to take off here. I think it was the biggest sport to increase it's numbers last year. I just freak out. My friends just laughed at me because everytime they threw her I was holding my breath. The don't seem to care and kept saying "it is alright, the only time something happens when the top person pulls out of a skill". I just couldn't handle that I was so scared that my dd will break a neck, whether through her own fault or somebody else.

But at the end of the day if that was something she loved I would have supported her in that, however she didn't like it as she felt the training wasn't hard enough for her and has asked to go back to old club. Her old club is only by invite and you normally have to trial to be selected and lucky enough they have accepted her back in even with out trialing.

I think they've got stricture rules where I live as well.... it's not the same old HS cheer I remember, that's for sure! We have about 4 seriously competitive cheer gyms where I live. By the time these girls get to HS, those HS teams win the state titles in cheer. It's really amazing to watch them... but it still scares the bejeezus out of me!

If your daughter does do cheer, don't worry! I was a high school cheerleader and I (think I did!) came out okay. Because of a lot of reasons I decided to stop doing gym after my freshman year. There are no cheer gyms in our area, high school is the only thing so it's a bit more "old school cheer" but my cousin who's only a year older than me, lives in the suburbs of Denver and competitive cheer is growing there. She used to do gym too and had started optionals when she quit. She encouraged me to try out for cheer. I made varsity pretty easy, I was the only one at the tryouts with a back tuck and ROBHS and the other "cheer" tumbles. I was a flyer since I was so short and apparently flexible (I wasn't flexible in the world of gym, who would have thought!) Anyway some of the girls were the mean, popular ones. Some weren't. I'm still really good friends with a lot of them. I did cheer sophomore and junior year and got it out of my system and went back to gym :) I still love cheer though! I'm just not used to seeing the really young girls (younger than middle school) do it. Good luck!

I'm just not used to seeing the really young girls (younger than middle school) do it. Good luck!

I KNOW!!! It kind of creeps me out w/the belly's exposed and all the make up! Don't flame me everyone.... I'm not a "cheer" mom, so the only time I see the girls are when there's a competition video someone puts up, or there's pictures in the paper or our own local online news source!!!

Well things are starting to work out although I still do not like the cheer. Practice has been only once a week for now the 2nd day she is doing irish dance and the cheer coaches are working with us for now. The cheer does not seem as high key as alot of teams I hear about. Out of 35 girls daughter is the only one who can do a ROBHS imagine that ( daughter seemed happy that she was able to still do this although she will not try the backtuck! I keep thinking maybe this will spark some interest in her going back to gymnastics but I highly doubt it. She is also on top on the mount thing which she really likes she is enjoying the learning the dance and I think the comradery of being on a team(it was also very few girls in her gym level only 2 last year not that much fun going to meets ecspecailly by yourself.) I just hope she survives without any injuries ( one of her freind from another cheeer team broke her arm when she was dropped in a mount another one girls we know was nearly paralyzed had to get spinal fusion as result of being dropped. So I think my fears are legitimate the sport is much more dangerous that gymnastics because the lack of regulation. And I know I am going to cringe when i watch these cheerleaders at competition doing flips with bad form. Daughter still ends with arms up after her tumbling and the cheer coaches said we need to fix this UGG! I just think she needs to get it out of her system daughter even said she may not do it next year. Daughter will be able to swim team after all because the meets are before the cheer competions and are over once the competitions for cheer start. She is still doing dancing and irish dancing which I love. We have meet alot of parents in the irish dance and it is like a big family similar to gym. Daughter is doing well and the teacher is great she even has a workout class on Sundays for the dancers that daughter really enjoyed she told me it felt so good to do abs again. So we are surviving!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back