Tuck Drills

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I am currently working on my front and back tucks and I was wondering what some drills I could do were.My main reason to get this is competitive cheer so wrap arounds (for back tuck) are preffered by my cheer coach.
I go to open gym an hour every saturday and this is my main time to work on it.
(I also have practice three times a week but we don't always work on tucks and the coach controls the drills)

During this time, it is also hard to find a coach so.... stuff without too many spots needed would be great. Any ideas?

Thanks!

Hi. First you need to understand how to tuck. It's slightly more complicated than just tucking into a ball when you want to add rotation. Here is a drill I use when teaching the differences between front tucks and back tucks. Lay on your back with your arms above your head and legs stretched out and together. Then tuck up as fast and you can into a position with your feet on the floor, knees to chest, chin tucked down and legs pulled apart so as to not knee yourself in the face. It is important to finish with your feet on the floor as this means your chest is "chasing" your legs. This tuck is for front saults.

For back saults you need to start in your stretched position. Then tuck up fast with your back remaining on the floor and your legs coming up to your chest. Again chin to chest, knees touching the floor over your shoulders and your but will be in the air. This is your tuck for back saults. Practice quickly tucking into both of these positions and quickly extending to your start position.

That should help your understanding of how to tuck when you sault. As for actually leaning them you can try them into the pit. Front saults are best learn onto mats stacked up maybe waist height and gradually lowering them. Back saults are best learnt with a spotter. Sorry. :p

For more information and drills check out YouTube. A quick search will show hundreds of tutorials for back saults and front saults all with better explanations than the above.

You seriously need to find a qualified coach to teach you. A badly done front tuck can get you a broken nose and two black eyes.

You need a spot, any advice to the contrary in very unsafe.

bwhahahahaha ^^^^^^^^^^^^and you said it! LOL. spot on!! yikes!:)

I agree with Bog wholeheartedly, however, I will say that the best "drills" you can be doing alone are TONS of squats. Work on the muscules you'll need to successfully get the lift and rotation you will need. Squats while swinging arms while holding weights. Squats then jumping up from them in a candle stick. More squats with weights. More squats into straight jumps. Rinse, repeat. Once you find a good coach/competent spotter- you will have the strength to complete the skill. Good luck- and be safe.

You seriously need to find a qualified coach to teach you. A badly done front tuck can get you a broken nose and two black eyes.

You need a spot, any advice to the contrary in very unsafe.

Luckily spotting tucks is easy, especially with two people. If you have training partners you should all look up how to spot saulto's and help each other out.

Luckily spotting tucks is easy, especially with two people. If you have training partners you should all look up how to spot saulto's and help each other out.

The OP says she has no one to spot her. Having spotted people learning tucks I disagree that it is easy. Easy to spot badly and easy to get an elbow in the face. Advanced gym skills are best left to the coaches.

I am with Esoteric, building the strength required for the skills will be a huge help. Then she can get some lessons from a pro. Most gyms offer tumbling classes.

Most gyms offer tumbling classes.

^^That. Talk to your cheer coach about whether he would allow you to take an additional tumbling class on a night that you don't have cheer practice. Open Gym (at least the way that most gyms run their open gym...) is not the place to learn back tucks.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back