Tumbling to soft

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

gymgurl

Coach
Gymnast
Ok so I have a very nice high back tuck and am now trying to learn to layout. one the bouncy floor i have a consistently high tuck and I know that I could do a layout if i had a spot on the floor. My coach, however, insists that i learn to tumble off the floor into the pit. the problem is no matter how many times i measure it I can't get it right and i frequently bail (not bad enough to land on my head). I can see the importance of learning to tumble to soft for full twists and stuff but why now? anyone got any ideas on measuring distance and/or convincing my coach to let me tumble to floor for now.

Hands placed at Twice you body length with you arms up is usually a good place to start and get a spot the first few times until you are comfortable. You'll need to make adjustments depending on how much space your roundoff and back handspring take up.

Honestly, if you are eventually going to work fulls and whatnot you need to start getting comfortable into the resi pit now. Plus if you ever hurt your ankles or something it will come in handy to be able to tumble there. Try doing just a bhs into back tuck (no roundoff) or a roundoff from a power hurdle or just 1-2 steps until you feel comfortable. Its worth it to get used to it, I promise.

Start at the pit. Power hurdle into a RO-BHS-BT or spotted layout, and where you finish will roughly be where you should start. I do this when tumbling into a above-ground pit.

Also, your coach knows what they're doing. It'll turn out int he end and look beautiful :)

Start at the pit. Power hurdle into a RO-BHS-BT or spotted layout, and where you finish will roughly be where you should start. I do this when tumbling into a above-ground pit.

Also, your coach knows what they're doing. It'll turn out int he end and look beautiful :)

I hope it will be beautiful at the end because its not now :p I am hoping to get the measurements right soon and i know its important to i just hate it so much!

Ok so I have a very nice high back tuck and am now trying to learn to layout. one the bouncy floor i have a consistently high tuck and I know that I could do a layout if i had a spot on the floor. My coach, however, insists that i learn to tumble off the floor into the pit. the problem is no matter how many times i measure it I can't get it right and i frequently bail (not bad enough to land on my head). I can see the importance of learning to tumble to soft for full twists and stuff but why now? anyone got any ideas on measuring distance and/or convincing my coach to let me tumble to floor for now.

Start at the very edge of the pit do a normal roundoff backflip...where you land is where you should start :)

Start at the very edge of the pit do a normal roundoff backflip...where you land is where you should start :)

That's what my DD did too then she takes a piece of chalk and marks it on the floor so she will know every time where to start.

Our tumble trak/pit tumbling area had a tape measure. You measured your tumbling runs on the floor and then measured backwards from the pit. The most important point, IMHO, to measure is where your feet land on the BHS.

I do this but some how everything changes when i go into the pit! its so frustrating!! i end up doing a sault 3cm off the floor :S

It's probably all in your mind. I had a problem with tumbling into the pit once, and it was the same thing as you. It seemed like whenever I tumbled on floor I had great high tumbling, but into the pit it was low and whippy. You need to forget about the fact that you're going into the pit, pretend that you're just on the floor. Honestly, you just can't think about not landing in the pit. When you finish your BHS, GO for the layout. (Don't try to stretch it out to get into the pit-- you WILL land in the pit, and if you don't you'll just land on the floor, like you want! Don't worry about it!)

I do this but some how everything changes when i go into the pit! its so frustrating!! i end up doing a sault 3cm off the floor :S
When you do your round-off backflip are you consistently landing in the same spot or is it different because if it's different you should work on that first, try having a chalk mark where your feet should finish from your round-off and a mark where your feet should land from your backflip. To make the pit feel more like the floor put a 30cm mat into the pit then take it out when you feel comfortable :D goodluck :)

its a mental thing im sure, my round off flics are very very consistant and i land in the same spot every time but into the pit its all over the place but thanks for the advice everyone!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back