MAG Ugh. DS might miss state meet tomorrow.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Men's Artistic Gymnastics

2G1B

Proud Parent
He (now) says that last night his ankle started hurting a little during practice; but not enough to say anything. Then he went outside and played on the playground - I didn't realize that he did this without shoes on. Just before going to bed he mentioned that his foot hurt; but he often complains about little aches and pains.

This morning he got up, limped downstairs and said his foot hurts much worse. I took him the our local children's hospital's urgent care. They did an x-ray, not broken. the tenderness is on the inside of his ankle, on the bone. At that time there was no swelling. They said it was probably a slight sprained, wrapped an ace bandage and said for him to stay off of it. The doctor said that if in the morning he wakes up and can walk on it that he can compete; but that if it still hurts he needs to stay off of it.

At this point... it still hurts. I'm starting to think he is going to be out for state. Last year he broke his pinkie 1.5 weeks before state and ended up with a cast on from his finger tips to just below his elbow. Next year I'm going to wrap him in bubble wrap for the 2 weeks leading up to state.:p

Oh no! I so hope it feels better in the morning. Keep us posted

Sent from my SPH-M950 using ChalkBucket mobile app

Oh man, that really stinks! I hope he gets better by tomorrow! I love the bubble wrap idea. May have to use that myself :rolleyes:.

Hoping for a quick recovery! I like the bubble wrap idea. J competes next week and I was nervous watching him wrestle at a tournament today. I was like - do your best but don't get hurt!

Last edited:
Hope he can compete tomorrow! I am convinced my little guy is growing right now....another thing we don't want them to do at the end of the season! Thinking good thoughts for him!

So.... he competed today. He woke up this morning and said his foot still hurt; but not too bad and that he wanted to compete. In general my son is NOT good at "toughing it out", so when he said that he thought he was OK to compete I figured it wasn't all that bad. I mean, while he LOVES to compete, he generally won't do something that really hurts. And, at that point his ankle wasn't very swollen. I spoke to his coach who said he'd tape the ankle really well and we'd just take it one event at a time.

Luck would have it that vault was what we were up to first. On the best of days it is DS's worst event. Today, it hurt to hit the spring board. He scored his lowest score of the day there - 8.5. After that was P Bars, he was scared to go to his handstan at the dismount because of how much more the landing would hurt. 8.6. (he has been over a 10 at the last 2 meets for p bars, this was his lowest p-bars score of the year). Next was high bar - 9.3. He struggled a little, decided not to go for the hip circle; but managed to stick the landing. :) I was worried about him as he warmed up on floor; but he decided to go for it. 9.7 - and that was with deciding not to do the back handspring. Not bad at all. (5th place) For Pommel, he did OK. He hates the mushroom they used today (used it at one other meet - it is really low) and didn't manage to do his 5.5 circles as "pretty" as normal. He also took a little hop on landing (said it hurt when he first came down) when coming off of the pommel horse. he did manage a 9.3, which got him 6th place. Rings he did a pretty solid routine; but then landed wrong on his foot and kind of stumbled. 9.7; which was not high enough to place at all (rings was scoring HIGH today).

Overall he took 7th place. I felt it was amazing considering his foot. When he came out he said, "I didn't do too good today." :-( I told him I thought he did AMAZING considering he did all of that with a foot that was hurting. I then ruffled his hair and realized his forehead felt hot. got home... 101 temp. And that was with having taken motrin for the foot. :eek:

When I untaped his foot it started REALLY hurting him. I started really second guessing letting him compete today. At that point I spoke to his coach and he said that he is a little worried that if it is still hurting, and based on where it his hurting, that maybe it is a stress fracture and it wasn't showing up yet on xrays (I know from my own foot injuries that sometimes fractures in the foot don't show on x-rays right away). I'm starting to wonder if when he was playing on the playground maybe he smacked his ankle really hard on the metal playground equipment - it is that inside, pointy bone that is hurting him.

Anyway, he has had his foot up and iced (off and on for the ice) for about 5 hours now and now he again says it doesn't hurt that much. The swelling is down again. he'll be home tomorrow due to the fever. so that will give him another day to stay off of it. I guess I'll play it by ear and maybe head to the orthopedist if it isn't better in a couple of days.

I am so proud of that kid for muddling through injury and illness. His scores were still respectable and he should be proud of himself. Hope the ankle and the fever heal quickly!

Sounds like he made it through quite well despite a sore ankle. I hope it gets better quickly (and also he feels better!!).

Sounds like he did a great job under the circumstances.

As for going to the doctor after my dd's experience I would highly recommend getting it checked out now. In a nutshell, dd complained one day that her wrist hurt but did not think it was broken so I let it go. FF a few weeks, wrist still bothering her, went to pediatrician, referred us to ortho, ortho put a cast on, took cast off 2 weeks later, referred us to Shriners, went to shriners, ortho compared the two wrists on xrays, there is a gap in the injured wrist's structure that is not there on the non-injured wrist. Referred us to get an MRI to see what is going on with the growth plate. DD is now retired from gym.

Morale to the story? Get it checked, better safe than sorry.

(Of course, Kris, I am very sad about your daughter's outcome. But I think your advice is most wise, which explains the like.)

(Of course, Kris, I am very sad about your daughter's outcome. But I think your advice is most wise, which explains the like.)

I don't know if the outcome would have been different with my daughter if we had it looked at sooner. It has always seemed that if I took kiddo to the doctor there was nothing wrong, and the two times that I did not take (1 dd and the other being my son who the nurse at school said he was fine but ended up with a fractured orbital floor (eye socket) them then there was an issue. Parenting choices are so hard.

Glad he did well under the circumstances. Hope his foot is ok. That is a huge floor score for not having a bhs!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back