Update on "problem child" in my class - things are improving!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I wanted to update those of you who gave advice on the last thread I posted about the child in my class who has a lot of behavioral issues. Things have been improving so far, so I'm very pleased! I did try to make her my "special helper" (stayed near her, let her demonstrate) and that seemed to work wonders. I also tried a "If you're listening to the teacher, touch your nose!" type thing and she was there listening right away! We still had quite a few issues but I am happy with the progress we've made overall and hope she is enjoying being in the class. I think I'm beginning to figure her out. It's hard to step in and take somebody's place who has been with these kids for a while, so I understand why she didn't like the idea of a new instructor, but she did hold my hand at the end of class on Wednesday, so I'll take that as a good sign. Most of the girls are quick to sit on my lap and come give me hugs and hold my hand, but this girl has taken a while to become accustomed to me. Anyway, I'm glad there's been progress with this child, and thank you to those of you who shared your advice!

Hope the gym world is treating everyone well.

You have to be careful with the "special Helper" It will look like favortisim if the others don't get a turn too. and could cause behavior issues with the others that don't get the opportunity to have equal chance to be a helper

You have to be careful with the "special Helper" It will look like favortisim if the others don't get a turn too. and could cause behavior issues with the others that don't get the opportunity to have equal chance to be a helper

You're right. I did take that into consideration. I usually don't ask for demonstrators but I did let every girl have a chance to demonstrate at some point if they wanted to. I think it just helps this particular girl to feel special to be able to show the class what she can do. She needs a lot of praise and attention, and this is a positive way to let her have that. I guess I should've explained that rather than having her being my only special helper, I let every girl be my special helper at some point throughout the class, but it was very beneficial for this little girl in particular. :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back